Spoilers for Thursday 31st January 2008

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Spoilers for Thursday 31st January 2008

Post by Conor »

NAMASTE.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 31st January 2008

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Conor wrote:NAMASTE.
And a ooh-ga boo-ga to you too :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Nice spot Conor. I have heard of it (hadn't heard of DETENUE) but I was really gutted about SOLENOIDS as I can remember Kirk showing me this word. I didn't even spot EIDOLON which I tend to never miss: had I spotted EIDOLON I would have spotted EIDOLONS and had I spotted EIDOLONS I would have got SOLENOIDS. It didn't cost me in the game but if I reach the quarters that type of miss might hurt more. Also, a bit gutted about the first numbers.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I thought with the order you were selecting the letters that you going for SOLENOID(S), so I was expecting you to declare 9. Oh well, you'll get one eventually. I was impressed with TEDIUM, that beat me.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Well done again - can you get 6 centuries?? All the best people get 6 ;) I would have nicked it off you on the conundrum again. Didn't see TEDIUM - good spot and missed out on DEMENT with a sluggish start. Also missed ADIPOSE and would have risked NOSTEMA^ which, given that it is none of the recaps, must be a word I just invented. Saw SOLENOIDS out of time so had to stick with NOODLES. I managed to make up points with the same numbers solution Carol gave and then POLLUTER and the conundrum gave me the win 93-90.

Already looking forward to tomorrow!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maybe you were thinking of NOSEMA?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

James Hurrell wrote:I would have nicked it off you on the conundrum again... the conundrum gave me the win 93-90.
Whilst I don't want to get all Stewart Holden on your ass, and whilst I would say that, broadly, scoring yourself at home against the contestant on TV is legitimate, it does seem very dubious to me to bring the conundrum into it... how can it have any relevance when it wasn't crucial in the game on TV, but would have been crucial in a hypothetical game between you and David? Surely the best you can say is "I would have forced a crucial conundrum" or at the very most "I would have been x points ahead / y points behind going into the conundrum", and leave it at that. I know that's always been my approach when playing along at home against the likes of Wills, Cummins, Welsby et al. Not against Paul Gallen though because I could never even force a crucial conundrum against him! :)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Anyway really well done again David, you missed almost nothing today, until part 3 (when the game was over as a contest anyway). The way things are going, you look to be on course for an octochamp score around the 850 mark, which would give you a good chance of being no.1 seed come finals week... I have a feeling though that there may be a really strong challenger around the corner, since you haven't really had one yet... looking forward to seeing your last two games.

Btw, re DETENUE - first time in a long time that there's been a beater which nobody posted! Did nobody get it? (I certainly didn't, though I got NAMASTE...) Craig?

David I was a touch surprised to hear that you were in fact telling Hazel about WIELDERS in that round - though I have to say I would have been tempted to do the same... in the eighth game of my octochamp run, there was a round where my opponent declared first and said "a risky 8", and I had a nine and when Richard passed to me, I couldn't resist saying "a safe 9". Luckily, apart from the audience collectively going "oooooooh!", I wasn't pulled up for it...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Are you planning to do recaps for your own games, Julian? At least then Jono might get over his crush.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

If he turns out to be shit, my dreams will be shattered.

Only kidding. Anyway, as for "a safe 9", there's that story where Chris Cummins's opponent said "I'll stick with a 5" and he said "I'll stick with a 9". Bahahaha!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Julian wrote:Anyway really well done again David, you missed almost nothing today, until part 3 (when the game was over as a contest anyway). The way things are going, you look to be on course for an octochamp score around the 850 mark, which would give you a good chance of being no.1 seed come finals week... I have a feeling though that there may be a really strong challenger around the corner, since you haven't really had one yet... looking forward to seeing your last two games.

Btw, re DETENUE - first time in a long time that there's been a beater which nobody posted! Did nobody get it? (I certainly didn't, though I got NAMASTE...) Craig?

David I was a touch surprised to hear that you were in fact telling Hazel about WIELDERS in that round - though I have to say I would have been tempted to do the same... in the eighth game of my octochamp run, there was a round where my opponent declared first and said "a risky 8", and I had a nine and when Richard passed to me, I couldn't resist saying "a safe 9". Luckily, apart from the audience collectively going "oooooooh!", I wasn't pulled up for it...

I saw DETENU and DETENUE, was reasonably sure of the former but had no idea whether the latter was in. I saw NAMASTE, was a bit worried with that one because I had a feeling there was an ODE-only anagram and that it might have been the only one allowed - program says there's SMETANA^. I see NAMASTE most days tho on Scrabulous and knew it what it was roughly, would have gone for it in most circumstances.