Spoilers For Wednesday November 10th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Wednesday November 10th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

So, the day is upon us once again. For the 8th time this series, we are on the verge of crowning an octochamp. 5 have been crowned, 2 haven't. Which way will Marcus go :?:

His 7th win yesterday means that come what may, we will see him in the finals, but the question is, as what number seed :?:

Currently he is the #6 seed, as he has already accrued more points than the other 2 failed octochamps, Michael Chadwick and Peter Godwin, but what are his realistic targets :?: :?:

He has 730 points currently, so as I mentioned, if he doesn't win, he'll stay as #6 seed.

[*]A win with a score of 43 or less (which would break the low scoring record, obviously) will keep him at #6.

[*]A win with a score between 44 and 79 would make him #5 seed.

[*]A win with a score between 80 and 110 would make him #4 seed.

[*]A win with a score between 111 and 168 would make him #3 seed.

I doubt very much that a game with above 168 will occur, after all it has only happened on 1 occasion in the show's enitre history (http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_3967), so I'm saying that #3 is probably the highest that Marcus can realistically achieve.

Join me for the Robinson Recap later. ;) :) :D You don't wanna miss out. 8-)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday November 10th 2010

Post by Martin Bishop »

Very close game.

Come on Marcus!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Nice one, Marcus. Congrats on becoming an octochamp. 8-) :D
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

LISTENER in round 12.

Very well done Marcus, it was a pleasure to watch you in the studio, and a pleasure to watch you again on the box. My second fave contestant of the series. Peter Godwin is number 1. He's the people's champ!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Yeah, congratulations.

Pulled out a nine when you needed it most. Class.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Congratulations, but I find it odd that no mention is made, on the programme, of past glories. Why not?

As James Robinson said on the 1st Nov - (He is) a 2 times champion, albeit it from 14 years ago, our very own Marcus Hares, who won 2 shows in Series 32, back in 1996.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

John Bosley wrote:Congratulations, but I find it odd that no mention is made, on the programme, of past glories. Why not?
Because they'd then get flooded with applications from other people who've been on the show before and want another go?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ace run Marcus. You look well pleased at the end. Matey boy was pretty good too.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very well done, Marcus. Fantastic run, thoroughly enjoyable. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

HEDONIST in round 4, although I thought outhsined was very unlucky there.

2nd Numbers Alt.: (75 + 25 - 2) x (7 - (8 / 4)) = 294
Michael Wallace wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Congratulations, but I find it odd that no mention is made, on the programme, of past glories. Why not?
Because they'd then get flooded with applications from other people who've been on the show before and want another go?
You say that but Bruce Lambert's past performances were mentioned when he made his reappearance.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:You say that but Bruce Lambert's past performances were mentioned when he made his reappearance.
It's a bit different if someone was on as a kid, imo.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Great run Marcus, thoroughly enjoyable. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So what was the final score?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:So what was the final score?
104 - 48 to Marcus, so he was just 7 points short of becoming #3 seed.

For more details, go here: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5278
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I not only find it odd that Marcus's 'previous' was not even mentioned but I felt slightly uncomfortable. I felt something was wrong.
I felt sorry for Jeff because he was obviously under instructions.
It felt dishonest even.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

OMG what's the big fucking deal? I'm sure if James didn't mention it in the very first spoiler thread then you wouldn't have even known anyway and it wouldn't have bothered you. And I'm sure that any Countdown viewer who does actually remember that Marcus appeared 3 times back in nineteen-ninety-pissing-six is probably on this forum so the Countdown masses aren't even affected.

Well played Marcus.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Ryan Taylor wrote:OMG what's the big fucking deal? I'm sure if James didn't mention it in the very first spoiler thread then you wouldn't have even known anyway and it wouldn't have bothered you. And I'm sure that any Countdown viewer who does actually remember that Marcus appeared 3 times back in nineteen-ninety-pissing-six is probably on this forum so the Countdown masses aren't even affected.

Well played Marcus.

Sorry my opinion does not fit with yours, Ryan, but there you go. Of course you are right. I would not have known if James had not mentioned it, but he did and now I do and I feel that it is wrong. I'll shut up about it now - unless of course anyone else wants to join in.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

John Bosley wrote:I felt sorry for Jeff because he was obviously under instructions.

Yes, don't mention 1996 Jeff whatever you do, it'll start a cyber-riot among 5 people. :roll:

For what it's worth, I asked Marcus to come on the show, he said he'd already been on, i said when, he said 1996(?), i said so what, come on again.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:Now back to anonymity for a few months for me.
Time flies!
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Time flies!
I just wanted to check the site was still working, it's been so quiet i thought it was offline. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Time flies!
I just wanted to check the site was still working, it's been so quiet i thought it was offline. ;)
Maybe the show should be a bit more interesting ;)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
D Eadie wrote: I just wanted to check the site was still working, it's been so quiet i thought it was offline. ;)
Maybe the show should be a bit more interesting ;)
Maybe everyone has out-bored each other. Not before time, let's face it. I'll give you a £1 for the domain name.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

John Bosley wrote:I'll shut up about it now - unless of course anyone else wants to join in.
I think it would be wrong of me not to say that I largely agree with you, John. Whether I'm the ally you really want is less certain.

When Bruce Lambert got his 2nd/3rd chance it was openly talked about (a first for the show as far as I'm aware) but it was emphasised that previously he'd been a child playing adults followed by taking part in a junior mini-series. So no major precedent was being set. News of Marcus's past would have been of great interest to many people, and I'm quite sure a conscious decision was made not to talk about it.

I've no axe to grind on this subject and usually I've steered well clear. However, no subject discussed on Countdown forums over the years has inspired anything approaching the amount of anger and passion that this one has (with the possible exception of mass noun plurals), which indicates that there is an issue here.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You're lucky Damian has gone over there to talk to Jacqueline Baker, otherwise this could've kicked off big time.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Clive Brooker wrote:However, no subject discussed on Countdown forums over the years has inspired anything approaching the amount of anger and passion that this one has (with the possible exception of mass noun plurals), which indicates that there is an issue here.
Have you alerted the Metropolitain Police to the likelihood of rioting? :)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Granada Studios, yesterday
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Clive Brooker wrote:
John Bosley wrote:I'll shut up about it now - unless of course anyone else wants to join in.
I think it would be wrong of me not to say that I largely agree with you, John. Whether I'm the ally you really want is less certain.

When Bruce Lambert got his 2nd/3rd chance it was openly talked about (a first for the show as far as I'm aware) but it was emphasised that previously he'd been a child playing adults followed by taking part in a junior mini-series. So no major precedent was being set. News of Marcus's past would have been of great interest to many people, and I'm quite sure a conscious decision was made not to talk about it.

I've no axe to grind on this subject and usually I've steered well clear. However, no subject discussed on Countdown forums over the years has inspired anything approaching the amount of anger and passion that this one has (with the possible exception of mass noun plurals), which indicates that there is an issue here.
Thanks, Clive. That is all I was saying. It was something interesting; strange to me that it was hushed up. They made a mistake and will never admit it. i am just a viewer (having failed the audition and cannot expect Damian to invite me on!!) and am interested in things but .....oh sod it ...........
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

John Bosley wrote:
Thanks, Clive. That is all I was saying. It was something interesting; strange to me that it was hushed up. They made a mistake and will never admit it. i am just a viewer (having failed the audition and cannot expect Damian to invite me on!!) and am interested in things but .....oh sod it ...........
It was never mentioned with me nor Andrew. Who cares really? It doesn't really add much to the programme to say that we'd appeared before and could otherwise detract from the show they're trying to put on.