Predictions for Series 58 finals

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Predictions for Series 58 finals

Post by Martin Gardner »

With today's results, the final 8 are just about sorted.

1. David O'Donnell vs. Ben Hanks
2. Michael MacDonald-Cooper vs. Peter Davies
3. Tim Reypert vs. Richard Priest
4. Barry Smith vs. Jonathan Coles*

* The only this won't happen is if Jonathan scores 125 or more tomorrow, in which case he passes Tim Reypert for #3 seed. He only needs one point to get past Barry Smith and if he doesn't, he'll still be playing Barry!

So the predictions are

1. DOD to beat Ben Hanks, noting that in the history of Countdown #8 seed has won about 5 times and lost about 50 times.
2. Tough one, certainly there are no weak players in this series and I think Peter has every chance of winning. So I'll go with Peter for no real reason other than I want to pick one of them.
3. Richard actually has the highest average score for any non-Octochamp (99.5 points per game, despite losing a game) so I'll go with him. He's a fair bet to become a Series champion or at least make the final against DOD.
4. Jonathan Coles to beat Barry Smith, noting that Barry averages about 81 points a game which I don't thin is enough to top Jonathan.

Semi finals:

1. DOD to beat Jonathan Coles
2. Richard to beat Peter.

Final:

DOD beats Richard Priest and wins the Series!

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Predictions for Series 58 finals

Post by Howard Somerset »

My view is very similar.

I've ranked the players not according to seeding position, but according to how I've fared when playing against them from the comfort of my own home. Here, rather ashamedly are the results of that ranking, and I've used that in part in considering who will win each game.

David: 0 wins against him, 8 defeats. points difference -462
Richard: 0 wins, 7 defeats, -275
Barry: 1 win, 7 defeats, -156
Michael: 1 win, 1 draw, 6 defeats, -155
Tim: 2 wins, 6 defeats, -189
Jonathan: 2 wins, 1 draw, 5 defeats, -162
Ben: 2 wins, 4 defeats, -46
Peter: 3 wins, 4 defeats, -103

I take David, Michael, Richard and Jonathan to win their quarter-finals.
(I realise that my ranking system puts Barry ahead of Jonathan. The ranking system's only a guide.)
David and Richard to make the final.
And David to win an exciting final.

So, only one difference from Martin's predictions, and that's Michael, rather than Peter, to win the quarter final.

This, of course, assumes that all of the top eight seeds were able to make the finals. :)

edited - my table updated, no changes to my predictions
Last edited by Howard Somerset on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

This, of course, assumes that all of the top eight seeds were able to make the finals. :)
Hmmm... ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:Barry: 1 win, 7 defeats, -156
I'm surprised by this result. I only catch the odd game nowadays, but in the two (I think) I saw with Barry in, I decided he was a natural 0 or 1time winner who just happened to win seven by chance. It's bound to happen.
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

Aren't we all forgetting Jason Cullen's standby appearance when DOD turns in sick?
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Barry: 1 win, 7 defeats, -156
I'm surprised by this result. I only catch the odd game nowadays, but in the two (I think) I saw with Barry in, I decided he was a natural 0 or 1time winner who just happened to win seven by chance. It's bound to happen.
I think that's a bit harsh on him, I'd say he was above average but not nearly as good as some of the 6-time champions seeded below him.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I dont want to sound negative but theres no way that this guy (who is ok but nothing more) whos on at the moment should be getting to the final, that would make it a weak series IMO.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matthew Green wrote:I dont want to sound negative but theres no way that this guy (who is ok but nothing more) whos on at the moment should be getting to the final, that would make it a weak series IMO.
I think the final is going to be between David v Michael to be honest, as they are seeds #1 and #2.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Matthew Green wrote:I dont want to sound negative but theres no way that this guy (who is ok but nothing more) whos on at the moment should be getting to the final, that would make it a weak series IMO.
Yes that does sound very harsh. He is averaging about 91 points per game which is not fantastic, but Tony Warren who averaged 89 points a game as an Octochamp managed to reach the series finals against Richard Brittain, although he did lose. He's only faced one crucial conundrum and if he's really as weak as you say he is, he'll be out in the first round anyway.

For the information, there are now five shows left in the Series so obviously if someone wins all five games, they still won't be #8 seed.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

noone backing me to topple the destroyer, eh?

:lol:
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

My predictions, assuming there are no drop-outs:

QFs:
David O'Donnell to beat Benji Hanks by a margin of 40-60 points.
Michael MacDonald Cooper to beat Peter Davies by a margin of 1-20 points.
Richard Priest to beat Tim Reypert by a margin of 25-45 points.
Jonathan Coles to beat Barry Smith by a margin of 15-35 points.

SFs:
David O'Donnell to beat Jonathan Coles by a margin of 40-60 points.
Richard Priest to beat MMC by a margin of 15-35 points.

F:
David O'Donnell to beat Richard Priest by a margin of 20-40 points.

Conclusion: a comfortable series win for the Dark Destroyer.

Seriously, there's no way I can see anything other than a comfortable series win for O'Donnell, unless he decides to drop out for some reason, because: a) He appeared to be substantially better than anyone else in the series. b) He appeared very early on in the series, and so has had more time to improve since his appearances than virtually all of the other seeds. c) He has probably been training much harder to raise his game than any of the other seeds, due to the fact that he has no life.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Richard Brittain wrote: c) He has probably been training much harder to raise his game than any of the other seeds, due to the fact that he has no life.

Hey! :x Are you a little bitter that I keep owning you online? :twisted:
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I was joking, DoD, but.. yes, the fact that your record against me online is 5-0 or something does grieve me in my heart.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Richard Brittain wrote:I was joking, DoD, but.. yes, the fact that your record against me online is 5-0 or something does grieve me in my heart.
Don't grieve too much, I totally cheated. ;)