Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ben Hunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 am

Image

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am

Surely that's Tuesday's spoiler?
Btw I fucking hope not.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:53 am

I excite!

User avatar
Ian Dent
Devotee
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ian Dent » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Don't think Kevin will win today, as good as he's been so far.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Ian Dent wrote:Don't think Kevin will win today, as good as he's been so far.
Kevin will not get beaten all this week.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ryan Taylor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 pm

My mouth is watering.

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ben Hunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I bet the needle of Charlie's excitometer is quivering in the red sector labelled 'overload'.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 pm

0 to cimping in 6.4 seconds.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by James Robinson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Well, I can hardly believe this is happening today but it is. I thought we'd probably have to wait until the next Champion Of Champions tournament, but no, to get our mind away from the upcoming horse racing that will knock this programme out for the rest of the week, we have the first of 4 specials featuring contestants of Countdown past.

This first one, as you probably guessed, features 2 goliaths of recent Countdown history. The winners of Series 60 & 61. One of them, a perfect-game accomplished Kirkulator, the other a speed cuber with #2 on the highest score charts.

They are of course, Kirk Bevins & Chris Davies.

Here are the stats of the contenders of this eagerly anticipated special:-

Firstly, Series 60 Champion Kirk Bevins - 11 Wins, 1,240 Points 8-)
Highest Score: 130 vs. Peter Bennett (4th Game)
Lowest Score: 97 vs. Fiona Shaw (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 5/9
Conundrum Success: 8/11

Secondly, Series 61 Champion Chris Davies - 11 Wins, 1,219 Points 8-)
Highest Score: 139 vs. Ross Mackenzie (5th Game)
Lowest Score: 95 vs. Matt Shepherd (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 6/7
Conundrum Success: 9/11

As you can see, it's virtually impossible to call, but with some surprises in store, anything could happen.

In DC for these specials, is newbie Gary Osborne, the singer-songwriter made famous in the 1970s for his collaboration with Sir Elton John, amongst others.

Well, the excitement level has reached unbelievably high levels.

So, let the game begin :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Awesome numbers twist.
Wonder what all the large ones are?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Oliver Garner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 pm

1st Numbers
(12+8+5)*37+4*6

User avatar
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Chris Davies » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Oliver Garner wrote:1st Numbers
(12+8+5)*37+4*6
Nice one. I did this well after the time.

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Sue Sanders » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

No contestant beaters to report so far.....!

But...EROTICA??? To match :D (I can hope for no more!)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Sue Sanders wrote:No contestant beaters to report so far.....!

But...EROTICA??? To match :D (I can hope for no more!)
Apart from Oliver's
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 pm

I bet both players saw FIDGETER but didn't risk it.
I am nearly always getting agent nouns wrong.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Sue Sanders » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

GRIFTED which I might have risked, due to the film 'Grifters'
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
Matthew Green
Devotee
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Matthew Green » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Every time he scores less than 7, Chris looks like he's just discovered he has an incurable disease. Surely not the spirit to have for a 'fun Countdown Special'?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum

User avatar
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Martin Gardner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Hmm, I didn't know this was happening and lazily turned on after the first numbers. Luckily I can watch it onliine when I get home tonight. Luckily!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Sue Sanders » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:No contestant beaters to report so far.....!

But...EROTICA??? To match :D (I can hope for no more!)
Apart from Oliver's
Was talking personally,(and tongue in cheek) Marc. Oliver's beater was fabbo.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Sue Sanders wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:No contestant beaters to report so far.....!

But...EROTICA??? To match :D (I can hope for no more!)
Apart from Oliver's
Was talking personally,(and tongue in cheek) Marc. Oliver's beater was fabbo.
Apart from your GRIFTED. ;)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm
Location: Whitstable Kent

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Sue Sanders » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Ha Ha - this time the lady was in pink!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Matthew Green wrote:Every time he scores less than 7, Chris looks like he's just discovered he has an incurable disease. Surely not the spirit to have for a 'fun Countdown Special'?
I was trying to adopt the "fun Countdown special" attitude as well but seriously, as soon as you get in that chair the desire to win comes flooding back. And that's its own kind of fun.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by David O'Donnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Really excellent game, enjoyed it thoroughly: congrats to both (but especially Kirk).

User avatar
Ray Folwell
Acolyte
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ray Folwell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:10 pm

It helps to know that 3x37=111. Do they keep the same big number for all the specials ?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Congratulations Kirk on being the unoficial 2009 countdown champion.
Unlucky Chris on the conundrum. I assume CYBERNAUT had not been on Apterous before?
This proves it :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=cybernaut
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Jojo Apollo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm

Well played lads, thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. 8-) I thought Chris was going to win when it came down to the crucial conundrum, well done to Dinos for spotting it.

Roll on the next big showdowns at the next C of C, they will be epics no doubt 8-)

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Kirk Bevins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Ray Folwell wrote:It helps to know that 3x37=111. Do they keep the same big number for all the specials ?
Not for me. I knew 37x3 is 111 and that say 888 is 37x24 etc. When sat in that chair and under pressure, maths and logic are the hardest things ever.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by David O'Donnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ray Folwell wrote:It helps to know that 3x37=111. Do they keep the same big number for all the specials ?
Not for me. I knew 37x3 is 111 and that say 888 is 37x24 etc. When sat in that chair and under pressure, maths and logic are the hardest things ever.
I thought I had solved the first one but turns out I wrote the numbers down wrong: if I can make a mistake like that at home, in the comfort of my own armchair, it must be very difficult indeed under the studio pressure.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Marc Meakin wrote: Unlucky Chris on the conundrum. I assume CYBERNAUT had not been on Apterous before?
This proves it :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=cybernaut
It had, but it not in a game for either player.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Kirk Bevins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:Congratulations Kirk on being the unoficial 2009 countdown champion.
Unlucky Chris on the conundrum. I assume CYBERNAUT had not been on Apterous before?
This proves it :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=cybernaut
Ha, after filming I got it in 1.5 seconds. Annoyingly I'd missed it a couple of weeks before in practice I think and didn't get it again. Just goes to show it really digs it into you if you miss words on TV then you're more likely to spot them again in the future.

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Douglas Wilson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:26 pm

What were the other two large numbers that we didn't see and is this the same twist for the other 3 shows or is it a different one?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: Unlucky Chris on the conundrum. I assume CYBERNAUT had not been on Apterous before?
This proves it :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=cybernaut
It had, but it not in a game for either player.
I guess with Damo having the inside track it probably wasn't a coincidence.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2205
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Tony Atkins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

I found an alternative way to RR's easy way in the 30s for the middle one:
((((6+1)*3)+37)*5)+6
but took until now to do the first one a different way:
((6+8+5)*4*12)+37
Well done to both our heroes for a good show!
COREA every Easter, CO-MSO every August

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Kai Laddiman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:I bet both players saw FIDGETER but didn't risk it.
I am nearly always getting agent nouns wrong.
I'm sure Kirk did this but declared a 5 despite obviously having FIDGET for 6 :P

Awesome recap up in Robinson-quick time! As if I'd already watched it!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ryan Taylor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I liked the round with two C's in. Well played both, that conundrum was good, nice one Dinos!

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:I bet both players saw FIDGETER but didn't risk it.
I am nearly always getting agent nouns wrong.
I'm sure Kirk did this but declared a 5 despite obviously having FIDGET for 6 :P

Awesome recap up in Robinson-quick time! As if I'd already watched it!
Oops :oops:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Alec Rivers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Alt first numbers, FWIW:

(6 x 4 + 37 + 12) x (8 + 5)

= 73 x 13

= 949

Josh Hurst
Enthusiast
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Josh Hurst » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm

LOL at Kirk's reaction to the 2nd numbers solution.

User avatar
Julie T
Kiloposter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, England

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Julie T » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Awesome game, Kirk and Chris. :D
Congratulations to Kirk, and commiserations to Chris. Very evenly matched, of course, could've gone either way.
And also congratulations (IIRC as I'm relying on my memory of the recording, as it isn't on 'catch up' yet) to Dinos for getting the conundrum in the audience. 8-)
Ray Folwell wrote:It helps to know that 3x37=111. Do they keep the same big number for all the specials ?
Yes for the Junaid versus Charlie match, not for the other 2.

BTW, although I was in the audience, I forgot to ask Charlie, Junaid, Kirk or Chris: Did Rachel or anyone else give the contestants any warning of the special numbers, or was it as much a surprise to you as it was to us?
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by D Eadie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Those playing knew the numbers were changing, but had no idea to what. Partly because i refused to tell them, and partly because i couldn't remember what they were. Kirk threatened in a jocular way to choose 6 small, so we gave all the numbers selections to Rachel instead. Nice seeing DC beat the contestants a few times also. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Julie T wrote: BTW, although I was in the audience, I forgot to ask Charlie, Junaid, Kirk or Chris: Did Rachel or anyone else give the contestants any warning of the special numbers, or was it as much a surprise to you as it was to us?
Nope. And even after the first game, Rachel wouldn't tell Junaid and me what the other large numbers were. She's pure evil.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by James Robinson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Douglas Wilson wrote:What were the other two large numbers that we didn't see and is this the same twist for the other 3 shows or is it a different one?
You would think that logically since the 2 we saw were 12 & 37, then the other two would be 62 & 87, since they're the midway points between 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 & 75-100.

But anyway, a mega brill game, although it was a weird experience for me, because the audio on my Sky+ recording failed after round 1, so we (me, my mum and dad) watched most of the rest of the game with the subtitles, but that was getting annoying, so for the last part I put the audio from 4OD while trying to watch the show on the screen, which was obviously tricky while trying to synch it.

I didn't do too bad considering 2 of the best Countdowners alive were playing today, although I thought the conundrum was CYBERAUNT :!: :lol:

But, anyway well done Chris & Kirk for the game, Dinos for getting the conundrum in that horrendous jumper and to good ol' Damo for arranging the whole thing.

Hopefully, the other 3 specials will live up to the same standards. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith Bevins
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Keith Bevins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Congratulations to both players for a great game, although nerves clearly played a part. For me to be ahead of Kirk at the second break hasn't happened since that big boat with all the animlas on :D

Helen Andrews
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:30 am
Location: London, UK!

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Helen Andrews » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 pm

That was a great show! Well done to both, a crucial conundrum to cap it all off, fantastic.

I was right about being made to feel a bit dense, though. And those numbers! Whoever comes up with this stuff is evil, I tell you.

User avatar
Matthew Green
Devotee
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Matthew Green » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 pm

James Robinson wrote:You would think that logically since the 2 we saw were 12 & 37, then the other two would be 62 & 87, since they're the midway points between 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 & 75-100.
Yes Mr Langdon, you are correct.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum

Ciaran Thompson
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ciaran Thompson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 pm

James Robinson wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:What were the other two large numbers that we didn't see and is this the same twist for the other 3 shows or is it a different one?
You would think that logically since the 2 we saw were 12 & 37, then the other two would be 62 & 87, since they're the midway points between 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 & 75-100.
Yes, I would think so. Shame we didnt see the other two numbers, and didnt see how they would have affected the game. I do hope that the alteration of the 4 large numbers is not the only twist to the proceedings of the other specials. I'm surprised that they didnt alter the letters or conundrum today.

Even tho there all filmed now, even so I wonder, are they going to do an all or mostly numbers special with numbers equation conundrums? Or perhaps in the letters rounds, award extras points if you use J, K, Q+U, X or Z (or could that be anathema)? Or maybe increase the scoring weight of the numbers, therefore further encouraging the tactical? And maybe Goatdown Conundrums or tough teatime teasers for the contestants?

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7987
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Jon Corby » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

"Kirk remains unbeaten" Jeff?

Like fuck.

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by D Eadie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Ciaran Thompson wrote: Yes, I would think so. Shame we didnt see the other two numbers, and didnt see how they would have affected the game. I do hope that the alteration of the 4 large numbers is not the only twist to the proceedings of the other specials. I'm surprised that they didnt alter the letters or conundrum today.

Even tho there all filmed now, even so I wonder, are they going to do an all or mostly numbers special with numbers equation conundrums? Or perhaps in the letters rounds, award extras points if you use J, K, Q+U, X or Z (or could that be anathema)? Or maybe increase the scoring weight of the numbers, therefore further encouraging the tactical? And maybe Goatdown Conundrums or tough teatime teasers for the contestants?
No to everything you asked, except for the anathema bit because i don't know what that means and it's a ludicrous word to use.

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Lesley Hines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:40 pm

I was really tickled by this screenshot near the end; I felt it epitomised the competitive nature and thrust of all the specials :lol:
Image

Julie T and her eldest are there too, although I think they're out of shot, and Chris Kirby (that might just have been the afternoon though). I have further photographic evidence of the fierce rivalry between Charlie and Junaid :D
It was really nice :)
Lowering the averages since 2009

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 pm

James Robinson wrote:...Dinos for getting the conundrum in that horrendous jumper
Oy! That's my favourite pink Space Invaders t-shirt you're talking about! It's almost as beautiful as my gorgeous fiancée Emma visible on my right :)

Well done to both players for an epic game that was fantastic to watch again!

btw I agree with Corby about the undefeated thing :P

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by James Robinson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
James Robinson wrote:...Dinos for getting the conundrum in that horrendous jumper
Oy! That's my favourite pink Space Invaders t-shirt you're talking about! It's almost as beautiful as my gorgeous fiancée Emma visible on my right :)
OK, my bad, it's not that horrendous a T-shirt. But PINK, come on :!: (although it does look more red on screen)

By the way, Dinos, your fiancée's a cracker. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

If only I could pull someone like that. :roll:

Somehow I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon. :(
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

James Robinson wrote: Somehow I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon. :(
Maybe you should take up drinking.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Kirk Bevins » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am

Charlie Reams wrote: Maybe you should take up drinking.
Or maybe the girl should :P

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Douglas Wilson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 am

I agree with James about her being a good looking lass, not suprised Larsen made such a fuss about them getting engaged.

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ben Hunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:03 am

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Maybe you should take up drinking.
Or maybe the girl should :P
Maybe he should take up drinking as an alternative to trying to pull girls.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 am

Charlie Reams wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Somehow I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon. :(
Maybe you should take up drinking.
Yeah, sounds like a good call.
I've never gone to bed with an ugly woman.................but woken up with a few. Boom boom :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Ciaran Thompson
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ciaran Thompson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

D Eadie wrote:
Ciaran Thompson wrote: Yes, I would think so. Shame we didnt see the other two numbers, and didnt see how they would have affected the game. I do hope that the alteration of the 4 large numbers is not the only twist to the proceedings of the other specials. I'm surprised that they didnt alter the letters or conundrum today.

Even tho there all filmed now, even so I wonder, are they going to do an all or mostly numbers special with numbers equation conundrums? Or perhaps in the letters rounds, award extras points if you use J, K, Q+U, X or Z (or could that be anathema)? Or maybe increase the scoring weight of the numbers, therefore further encouraging the tactical? And maybe Goatdown Conundrums or tough teatime teasers for the contestants?
No to everything you asked, except for the anathema bit because i don't know what that means and it's a ludicrous word to use.
O right, but how do you know that "anathema" is a ludicrous word to use if you don't know what it meant in context? lol. It might well be relevant to use at times. Its a good word to get in a letters round, and interestingly, after what you put, I came across this today: (just see the first 30 secs, appropriately) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBjgghpktKM

Anyway, what I meant was, would it not be an idea to alter the scoring system in relation to the more awkward letters in future specials to make the gameplay a bit more interesting, just as the large numbers cards were changed on Mondays special? And then I was saying, it could however be seen as a sacrilege (an anathematic-inviting suggestion) in regards to the long established rules and ways of Countdown and a bit too scrabble-ish. I say this, especially in light of a suggestion Des O'C made a couple of times, when he said that the contestants ought to get at least an extra point for using letters like 'X', to which on one of the occasions Carol replyed back to him with very firm, Thatcherlike "No, No, No's", "we're not changing the rules"...etc.

Anyway, thanx 4 answering the questions, albeit in the short and colourful way you did lol.

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Lesley Hines » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Ciaran Thompson wrote: in future specials to make the gameplay a bit more interesting
A bit more interesting? Arguably two of the greatest players in the history of the game battling it out and you want to make it a bit more interesting? :?
Here are some ideas to make the gameplay "a bit more interesting":
* Naked Countdown
* Dirty word Countdown (Charlie and others did their best to introduce that one, and Ryan's the world's worst actor ;) )
* Txtspk Countdown
* Drunken Countdown (making declarations while drinking a pint etc.)
* Touchundrums where the player is blindfolded and has to shout the word while making the replacement letter shape out of their body while a polystyrene wall is approaching them or it will knock them into a pool of water whilst wearing an unflattering silver bodysuit... :shock:
Ciaran Thompson wrote: in future specials to make the gameplay a bit more interesting
I despair.
ROTFLMFAO
:lol: 8-) :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ben Hunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Lesley Hines wrote:* Drunken Countdown
That's apterous.

Ciaran Thompson
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday 15th March 2010

Post by Ciaran Thompson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ciaran Thompson wrote: in future specials to make the gameplay a bit more interesting
A bit more interesting? Arguably two of the greatest players in the history of the game battling it out and you want to make it a bit more interesting? :?

I despair.
Indeed, it was a great game, the whole thing was far from uninteresting. :) I just meant the gameplay of the letters rounds being made more interesting in future specials by adding some sort of twist to them, just as the numbers rounds were made more interesting in this last special.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests