Spoilers For Thursday February 25th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday February 25th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

So, there was no overhyping the ability of Britain's Brainiest Footballer yesterday. Clarke Carlisle seemed to settle in very nicely and produced a nice solid display yesterday. Can he do back-to-back wins, something that Burnley would quite like this season. :lol:

A win would see Clarke get into the top 8, how Burnley would love to be anywhere near that position by the end of the season. :lol:

OK, that's enough piss-taking of Burnley there, but after all they haven't been that good this season, have they :?: Their nickname is the Clarets, but based on their performances, especially away from home, they've probably had a few Clarets themselves this season. :lol:

Hopefully Clarke will carry on winning today.

See you for the recap. ;)
David Roe
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Thursday February 25th 2010

Post by David Roe »

We beat Man United and Everton back to back, so there. :P

Come on you clarets!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Is this from a real show, can't decide whether it's a shoop or not.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

David Roe wrote:We beat Man United and Everton back to back, so there. :P

Come on you clarets!
Oops. :oops: Having said that, that was way back in the first couple of weeks in the season, when Burnley actually had a good manager.

UP THE TERRIERS :!: TO THE CRUSHING OF LEEDS ON SATURDAY :!: :!: :D :mrgreen:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James, Burnley got promoted last season and have managed to perform pretty well considering hugely limited resources and losing their manager halfway through the season. They have a squad of championship players, a championship stadium, league one resources and now a league one manager. The fact that they even have a chance of staying up is as impressive as most things any team in the country has achieved this season. If you're gonna talk football, at least think things through a bit.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matthew Green wrote:James, Burnley got promoted last season and have managed to perform pretty well considering hugely limited resources and losing their manager halfway through the season. They have a squad of championship players, a championship stadium, league one resources and now a league one manager. The fact that they even have a chance of staying up is as impressive as most things any team in the country has achieved this season. If you're gonna talk football, at least think things through a bit.
Matthew, I'm not saying that Burnley haven't done impressive things to get to the Premier League. At the start of the season, I personally thought they'd do a Derby County and not even win a game :!:

But, there are facts to consider, Burnley have only got 1 point away from home this season, that's dreadful by anyone's standards. Their manager left because of, as you put it, "League One Resources", which means it was their own doing that lost their manager, and the fact that they had not much money, meant that they had to scrape the barrel to find a new manager.

Unless something drastic happens on the field soon, they will be relegated. The only reason not that many people are talking about it is because of this complete crisis at Portsmouth.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

POSTLUDE alternative for round 1
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

OKAYED as a nice equaller (from many options) for the LADDER/RELOAD round.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I'm so angry with James Robinson in this thread. I just don't know how to express it in writing.

Leave Burnley alone, you bully?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ian Dent wrote:I'm so angry with James Robinson in this thread. I just don't know how to express it in writing.

Leave Burnley alone, you bully?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Is 'duralite' valid in Scrabble?
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

GALJEON in round 12.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

GALJOEN and ONGLAZE for beaters in round 12.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Hunter wrote:Is 'duralite' valid in Scrabble?
Nope.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Chris Davies wrote:GALJEON in round 12.
Kirk Bevins wrote:GALJOEN in round 12.
0-7
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

James Robinson wrote:So, there was no overhyping the ability of Britain's Brainiest Footballer yesterday. Clarke Carlisle seemed to settle in very nicely and produced a nice solid display yesterday. Can he do back-to-back wins, something that Burnley would quite like this season. :lol:

A win would see Clarke get into the top 8, how Burnley would love to be anywhere near that position by the end of the season. :lol:

OK, that's enough piss-taking of Burnley there, but after all they haven't been that good this season, have they :?: Their nickname is the Clarets, but based on their performances, especially away from home, they've probably had a few Clarets themselves this season. :lol:
See you for the recap. ;)
Is this "see how many times you can finish a sentence off with the word 'season'" season?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

At the end of round 12 when Susie offered JAILER as an alternative, the subtitles gave the invalid spelling JAILOR, which was disallowed only last week.
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Matthew Green wrote:James, Burnley got promoted last season and have managed to perform pretty well considering hugely limited resources and losing their manager halfway through the season. They have a squad of championship players, a championship stadium, league one resources and now a league one manager. The fact that they even have a chance of staying up is as impressive as most things any team in the country has achieved this season. If you're gonna talk football, at least think things through a bit.

They have Premiership resources but choose not to spend them. They have a League 1 manager, sure, but they appointed him, cheap, cheerful and a yes man. The most success he had was with Hartlepool Utd. They did well to get to the Premiership but as a club, deserve to be relegated for showing not one iota of ambition or determination to stay in the Premiership. It's a case of taking the money, running back to the Championship, parachute payments and all, and smash and grabbing their socks off all the way to the bank. Turd Moor and Dungdale, the two places on the football map that i despise the most. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Impartial comments from a Blackpool fan of course.

I was referring to the achievements of the Burnley players. It is not their fault that the owners are a joke, the ground is a joke and that they have lost their manager. Taking it into consideration, I think they've definitely done pretty well.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Liam Tiernan wrote:At the end of round 12 when Susie offered JAILER as an alternative, the subtitles gave the invalid spelling JAILOR, which was disallowed only last week.
Surely, GAOLER was offered as JAILER wasn't available.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

A nice smiley programme today.
Smiles are not always in evidence, but they were today.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

RTE Ireland did a live feed of the show like the Guardian did yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/022 ... islec.html

I'm not sure that Jenni Falconer would like being mistaken for Lisa Faulkner though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Faulkner
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:RTE Ireland did a live feed of the show like the Guardian did yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/022 ... islec.html

I'm not sure that Jenni Falconer would like being mistaken for Lisa Faulkner though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Faulkner
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jenni Falconer:

Lisa Faulkner:

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Everyone seems to be getting in on the act with our famous footballer on the show.

Here's the satirical magazine The Spoof's take on the show.

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? ... e=s4i69705
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

D Eadie wrote:They have Premiership resources but choose not to spend them. They have a League 1 manager, sure, but they appointed him, cheap, cheerful and a yes man. The most success he had was with Hartlepool Utd. They did well to get to the Premiership but as a club, deserve to be relegated for showing not one iota of ambition or determination to stay in the Premiership. It's a case of taking the money, running back to the Championship, parachute payments and all, and smash and grabbing their socks off all the way to the bank. Turd Moor and Dungdale, the two places on the football map that i despise the most. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I don't take stick from Blackpool supporters about the ground. Blackpool's ground last year is probably the worst I've ever been to, with the possible exception of Springfield Park, Wigan and Millmoor, Rotherham. You walk through mud to get to the seats, which are on temporary scaffdolding, with no roof. And it rains and blows a gale. Even collecting the expected three points wasn't enough to make it a good trip.

When did Brian Laws ever manage Hartlepool? Are you confusing him with Brian Clough? :lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Here's the satirical magazine The Spoof's take on the show.

Wow, that's incredibly unfunny.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David Roe wrote:I don't take stick from Blackpool supporters about the ground. Blackpool's ground last year is probably the worst I've ever been to, with the possible exception of Springfield Park, Wigan and Millmoor, Rotherham. You walk through mud to get to the seats, which are on temporary scaffdolding, with no roof. And it rains and blows a gale. Even collecting the expected three points wasn't enough to make it a good trip.

When did Brian Laws ever manage Hartlepool? Are you confusing him with Brian Clough? :lol:
Haha. Blackpool's ground is fantastic for the home supporters. I was getting confused with Chris Turner. See you next season mate, that's if we just don't swap places with you. :mrgreen:
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Come and join us if you like. We're not leaving.

And at least we'd not have the smallest budget in the Premier League any more - or would Blackpool "show ambition" and spend all 3 years' worth of TV money in the first month? :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:Everyone seems to be getting in on the act with our famous footballer on the show.

Here's the satirical magazine The Spoof's take on the show.

Contains a spoiler too.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David Roe wrote:Come and join us if you like. We're not leaving.
No, course you're not. ;)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I support Leicester City, we have the most haunting stadium of all, but that makes us the best team because it scares our opponents away. We also win all of our games, apart from the ones we lose/draw because of massively terrible decisions made by the referee. My football team is better than all the others, because all the others are made of slags. We also have a manager who can beatbox at 128BPM, not even Emmanual Adebayor can beatbox that fast, and he is the most street player in football. I think there's no denying my superior level of football talk here.