Spoilers For Thursday December 17th 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

D Eadie
Devotee

Re: Spoilers For Thursday December 17th 2009

Post by D Eadie »

Craig Beevers wrote:Wondered whether Chris has seen SLEEPSUIT and held on it for a few seconds or just buzzed straight away when he saw it.

I was uncertain of it, one I'd rationalise about for a moment before buzzing in with. Dunno if that's just because my mind is still mangled from Malaysia though where I would have struggled to confirm whether CAT and DOG were valid.
Without offering congratulations or praise to either player, you've somehow managed to shoehorn into the thread that A) you got the conundrum, and B) you've been to the World Scrabble Championships.

Bravo.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

This game was ssooo good, that even if Jennifer Turner made one of her occasional comebacks she'd have something great to say about it!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Extraordinary drama. Congratulations to both players.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Simply sensational. Innis missed very little and Chris' face when he missed SOLENOID was a picture. 15 down with 2 rounds to play he and most of the audience thought he was out. There were a lot of confused faces in the audience when Innis said 2 large (but Innis had said he felt so much more comfortable with that than 1 large) and to see Chris look in Innis' direction for half the last numbers game hoping he'd missed it was a picture of tenseness.

Hitting the buzzer for SLEEPSUIT on 26 seconds startled most and then for there to a big pause and Jeff to say "let's take a look" and hearing Chris in the background go "Oh my God!" was just epic.

Talking of epic, what a lovely conundrum scramble: EPITUSSLE. It certainly was an epic tussle.

Best game I've ever seen and is certainly better than mine and Neil's semi final even though I played in that!

Awesome performance lads, well done.
Last edited by Kirk Bevins on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I wonder if Innis saw SLEEPSUIT, but like me at least, was unsure of its validity, and didn't risk buzzing in. :?:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Cheers everyone, I absolutely couldn't have gone out in a better way. The tension throughout this whole game was unreal, I was an absolute nervous wreck towards the end, so can barely imagine what it must have be like for Chris! But he overcame it to nail two very tough rounds at the crucial moment, and that's seriously impressive. Very well done Chris, it couldn't have been a better game and I'm very proud to have been a part of it.
Marc Meakin wrote:I wonder if Innis saw SLEEPSUIT, but like me at least, was unsure of its validity, and didn't risk buzzing in. :?:
I wish! Besides "pestulise" I don't think I saw anything at all. No idea how Chris managed it.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Innis Carson wrote:Cheers everyone, I absolutely couldn't have gone out in a better way. The tension throughout this whole game was unreal, I was an absolute nervous wreck towards the end, so can barely imagine what it must have be like for Chris! But he overcame it to nail two very tough rounds at the crucial moment, and that's seriously impressive. Very well done Chris, it couldn't have been a better game and I'm very proud to have been a part of it.
Marc Meakin wrote:I wonder if Innis saw SLEEPSUIT, but like me at least, was unsure of its validity, and didn't risk buzzing in. :?:
I wish! Besides "pestulise" I don't think I saw anything at all. No idea how Chris managed it.
It was just tremendous. I couldn't have asked for a better contest, or a more gracious opponent. I went from being furious at myself for missing SOLENOID to absolutely thrilled, just a few minutes later. Countdown just doesn't get better than that. I could feel the nerves all over again while watching it. Very well played, and thanks for a terrific experience.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Well done Chris, hope You win the final (Don't tell us!!)
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Smashing game.
Thanks to both players.
Occasionally the cameras have shown a particular look on the face of Innis - something
between being petrified with fear and being about to burst into hysterical laughter.
I like it.
Great match.
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Fantastic game, just watched it on C4+1.
Congrats to both Chris and Innis.
It looked as though Chris spent about 15 secs looking at the conundrum without getting it and then wrote the letters down to see if that helped (which it did).

For what it's worth yet another 1st numbers : (10+6) x (9+2)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Well done both on a cracking semi! :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Where was the hug at the end?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

What an amazing match! Well done to both players for making it such a great game to watch as a neutral. I totally agree with everyone who has said it was better than the semi in the previous series- I certainly enjoyed watching this one more! ;)
It must be heartbreaking to lose in that manner though, I feel so sorry for Innis. Any easy numbers game, and a place in the final was in the bag, such tough luck. But well done to Chris, winning whilst not playing at your best (surprised you missed intense) could be the sign of a champion...

Also, well done to Damian for a great choice of conundrum. Watching the seconds tick away wondering if someone is going to buzz in is great entertainment. But the fact that Chris solved it in the end shows that it wasn't impossible, which is obviously a good thing as well.

If the final is anywhere near as good, it'll be a great spectacle.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I was sat next to Mike Brown in the audience and after the last letters round I said to him "1 large now, surely" so was a bit surprised, but as has previously been mentioned it may not have made for any easier a target.

Felt really sorry for Innis but he took it on the chin.Fantastic battle, the sort of game that makes Countdown great and a real privilege to have watched it live.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

D Eadie wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Wondered whether Chris has seen SLEEPSUIT and held on it for a few seconds or just buzzed straight away when he saw it.

I was uncertain of it, one I'd rationalise about for a moment before buzzing in with. Dunno if that's just because my mind is still mangled from Malaysia though where I would have struggled to confirm whether CAT and DOG were valid.
Without offering congratulations or praise to either player, you've somehow managed to shoehorn into the thread that A) you got the conundrum, and B) you've been to the World Scrabble Championships.

Bravo.
Except it's impossible to reasonable reach A) or B) without guesswork or having read stuff posted elsewhere. So that just leaves you who've diverted the topic to engage in pointless sniping, as happened to yesterday's thread.

I don't see what I can add about that game that others haven't said already, and in a lot better way than what I'd have said. So I add a different observation as Chris seemed unsure of the conundrum as I was.

I don't really need to justify myself to anyone, so don't think I'm making a habit in replying to your bullshit here.

Lets hope the final tomorrow is as good as today's game and the thread stays free of nonsense like this.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Just as exciting watching it for a second time. Brilliant game, both of you. Such a shame that one had to lose. Congrats on making it one of the best games ever.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Epic.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Wow. That was so nailbiting, I couldnt cope with the tension. Part of me was really worried and felt terrible for Chris but in the end it was all dandy. Innis finally shook his hand.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Just want to say lads (if you're reading) for drama that was one of the best contests I have ever watched: you didn't disappoint and lived up to the hype. I was gutted for Innis (I had him as favourite) and I think that nerves had a part to play in the last numbers. Anyway, hats off to Chris - you had an incredibly difficult game and got through it: well done!

Hoping for more of the same tomorrow but I am going out on the rip and will probably catch it Saturday.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Astonishing game. I had no idea who was going to win before it started and I still had no idea who was going to win ten seconds before the whole thing finished. Well done Chris for unscrambling an absolute bastard of a conundrum and commiserations to Innis - but it's congratulations to both of you really for playing so well throughout the series and making this show one of the best I've ever watched. Well done to everyone, tomorrow's should be a good 'un too.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I've allowed myself a bit of time to reflect on this. The best game I can remember, just eclipsing Wills/Williams (surely someone can upload this one).

Yet again one of those enigmatic simple-looking 2 larges brings down the best!

Bad luck Innis. Perhaps one day l'll be able to say I was beaten by a CofC.
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

Jeff's splutter, and the look on his face, when Steve buzzed after 26 seconds, said it all far better than I can.

That was wonderful to watch. Many thanks to Chris and Innis.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Christ, that was amazing. Just brilliant. Probably the most exciting game I've seen. Mortified for Innis at the end, but well done to Chris for finding the nerve to pull those last two rounds out after looking so shattered at missing the eights in the last letters round. Brilliant conundrum too, obviously just the right difficulty for the occasion. Awesome. Special mention from me as well for Innis's gracious behaviour when he must have been wondering what had just happened.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I too thought Innis was exceptionally graceful. I also think I didn't really appreciate at the time what an incredible turn around Chris achieved, especially considering all the nerves.

Well done both for making my favourite episode evarrr.

Also, in the studio, when Chris buzzed, there were some really loud screams/shocked noises coming from the gallery and the audience (mainly the gallery), but you couldn't hear any of them today, but just the noise of Jeffs loud flabbergastedment, which I found amusing.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

The Dent household is gutted for Innis tonight but what a great game.
Andrew Herbertson
Rookie

Post by Andrew Herbertson »

Wow only just watched it, true champs are never beaten even when the task looks hopeless they just need a sniff of a chance, Chris got one and stepped in like Phil Taylor would when his opponent has just missed a double for the match.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Fucking awesome. Loved every minute of it. (Sorry for the language but sometimes it really is justified ;) )
Excellent win Chris and gutted for Innis - there were some magnificent spots in there.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Richard Adams wrote: when Steve buzzed after 26 seconds
Who?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Craig Beevers wrote: Except it's impossible to reasonable reach A) or B) without guesswork or having read stuff posted elsewhere. So that just leaves you who've diverted the topic to engage in pointless sniping, as happened to yesterday's thread.

I don't see what I can add about that game that others haven't said already, and in a lot better way than what I'd have said. So I add a different observation as Chris seemed unsure of the conundrum as I was.

I don't really need to justify myself to anyone, so don't think I'm making a habit in replying to your bullshit here.

The bullshit is all yours my dear. It's there in black and white. Don't give me the rubbish about being unable to offer congratulations or praise, because of "I don't see what I can add about that game that others haven't said already", when practically every other person did just that in their own individual way. A well done, or a back-slapping sentiment was obviously beyond you, and that my dear, isnt bullshit, its fact. Your post on this semi-final, perhaps the best game of Countdown ever, reeks of nothing but egomania and immaturity.

You don't need to justify yourself, sure, but you need to get off your ego cloud and take your foot out of your arse.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

D Eadie wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote: Except it's impossible to reasonable reach A) or B) without guesswork or having read stuff posted elsewhere. So that just leaves you who've diverted the topic to engage in pointless sniping, as happened to yesterday's thread.

The bullshit is all yours my dear. It's there in black and white. Don't give me the rubbish about being unable to offer congratulations or praise, because of "I don't see what I can add about that game that others haven't said already", when practically every other person did just that in their own individual way. A well done, or a back-slapping sentiment was obviously beyond you, and that my dear, isnt bullshit, its fact. Your post on this semi-final, perhaps the best game of Countdown ever, reeks of nothing but egomania and immaturity.

You don't need to justify yourself, sure, but you need to get off your ego cloud and take your foot out of your arse.
Are you ever going to forgive Craig for snubbing the COC?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Absolutely phenomenal game! Loved every minute of watching it back. Thanks ever so much lads for making it happen. You're both champions and absolute legends in your own right :)

Also I think this little snippet of conversation from the studios should be broadcast to the forum audience:

Me: (looking over at Charlie before the match) I wish I could measure Charlie's excitement.
Neb: I want to measure Charlie's excitement with a ruler!
Charlie: (after the game) You'll need a fucking tape measure!!!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Absolutely phenomenal game! Loved every minute of watching it back. Thanks ever so much lads for making it happen. You're both champions and absolute legends in your own right :)

Also I think this little snippet of conversation from the studios should be broadcast to the forum audience:

Me: (looking over at Charlie before the match) I wish I could measure Charlie's excitement.
Neb: I want to measure Charlie's excitement with a ruler!
Charlie: (after the game) You'll need a fucking tape measure!!!
Fell off my chair laughing. :lol: :lol:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

That was the most exciting thread I've ever read. Craig Beevers almost had it but then Damian Eadie threw the killer punch right at the death.

I loved this game and I only saw the final two thirds. Gonna watch it all again in a minute on 4od. Congrats Chris and bad luck Innis, played pretty much perfectly til those last two rounds. It's never comfortable when your opponent is <20 points behind.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:That was the most exciting thread I've ever read. Craig Beevers almost had it but then Damian Eadie threw the killer punch right at the death.

I loved this game and I only saw the final two thirds. Gonna watch it all again in a minute on 4od. Congrats Chris and bad luck Innis, played pretty much perfectly til those last two rounds. It's never comfortable when your opponent is <20 points behind.
I am going mental. It's 4:30, I have to be up in four hours. Why are you not on MSN Ben, you could have been keeping me sane through this troubling time.
COUNTDOWN.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Not been at home our kid.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:Not been at home our kid.
Just in case anyone is wondering in the morning, I've had a lovely chat with Ben. It's time for bed now, 1 hour and 45 minutes before I need to get up.
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Who?
I have no idea. Apologies. Was slightly drunk and v excited.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Charlie: (after the game) You'll need a fucking tape measure!!!
Make sure you use the right end though :?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Richard Adams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Who?
I have no idea. Apologies. Was slightly drunk and v excited.
No need to apologise Robin, Danny was just confused by your post.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

D Eadie wrote:I'm starting to think the James Robinson Defence League is beginning to overdo things a little. :mrgreen:
It reminds me of the whole Jedward thing. Everybody complains that they're really annoying at first and hates them, but then people start to feel bad for all the shit they're getting and think it's unfair, and public opinion seems to swing the other way.

However, now they've published the true results of all the phone votes, everyone realised that the shift wasn't really that great and that they actually were never really that popular, it was all an illusion ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

D Eadie wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Wondered whether Chris has seen SLEEPSUIT and held on it for a few seconds or just buzzed straight away when he saw it. I was uncertain of it, one I'd rationalise about for a moment before buzzing in with.
Without offering congratulations or praise to either player, you've somehow managed to shoehorn into the thread that [...] you got the conundrum
D Eadie wrote:Don't give me the rubbish about being unable to offer congratulations or praise, because of "I don't see what I can add about that game that others haven't said already", when practically every other person did just that in their own individual way. A well done, or a back-slapping sentiment was obviously beyond you, and that my dear, isnt bullshit, its fact. Your post [...] reeks of nothing but egomania and immaturity.
Would it be too bitchy to link this? Yeah, that'd be too bitchy. Two hours sleep bitchy.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

An absolutely fantastic game to watch, well done to both players - certainly the most enjoyable game of Countdown that I've had the pleasure of watching.

I thought it was nice and sporting of the players to shake hands before the conundrum, too.

Here's hoping that today's final is similarly compelling entertainment.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Charlie: (after the game) You'll need a fucking tape measure!!!
Wait, so does this mean I don't really have an 11' 9" willy?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Wait, so does this mean I don't really have an 11' 9" willy?
OMG! Haven't you got a metric tape measure? :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Imperial is best for knob gags.
e.g I've got 12 inches but I don't use it as a rule. Boom boom ;)
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Fantastic game! I could almost feel how much Chris wanted to win, and i think it was that extra bit of determination that got him through in the end. Well done Innis too. On any other day, you'd have wone easily.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Wow. Legendary, legendary game. Congratulations to both of you for producing some of the best drama I've ever witnessed.
martin moore

Post by martin moore »

it was the best episode i have ever seen .....though i was more gutted that my brother got the conundrum and i missed it !!!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

martin moore wrote:it was the best episode i have ever seen
Is Apterous killing Countdown? Certainly not!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What a game, and what a gasp! I don't think I'll ever forget that gasp!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

D Eadie wrote:I'm starting to think the James Robinson Defence League is beginning to overdo things a little. :mrgreen:
Where was my defence league five or so years ago? Bastards!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Where was my defence league five or so years ago? Bastards!
I would've been in it had I been on the scene five or so years ago.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This Episode is on again today apparently.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

What the fuck?! They've put the wrong episode on.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Accoring to RT, this one's on Thursday. Well Thursday's repeat is one which has Rory McGrath in DC.

Oh shit! I've just replied without asking permission. Sorry!!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

OK Howard, cheers. The episode they have on at the moment is a good one anyway.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Wow. Watching it again gave me goosebumps and I knew the result. Amazing drama, close contest and high-calibre contestants. How can they not have CofC?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Wow. Watching it again gave me goosebumps and I knew the result. Amazing drama, close contest and high-calibre contestants. How can they not have CofC?
Maybe with the popularity of Mastermind CofC, Damo might have a change of heart.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Wow. Watching it again gave me goosebumps and I knew the result. Amazing drama, close contest and high-calibre contestants. How can they not have CofC?
Maybe with the popularity of Mastermind CofC, Damo might have a change of heart.
Are you punning again?