Spoilers for Monday, 7th April

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Monday, 7th April

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Good luck to Matt on his 2nd game.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 7th April

Post by Ben Pugh »

CANTORIAL
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I think you can have RAINCOAT too (only for 8 though).
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

FESSED.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

That was a stinker of a conundrum IMO. I normally like the harder ones, but I couldn't get BATTALION.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

It wasn't that hard. The first thing you look for with that set of letters is a word ending in '-TION', which BATTALION almost ends in.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

i had CANTORIAL written down but didnt want to risk it after my REASONATE mistake on friday, i was gutted about the conundrum if i got that i would have scored in every round, i should have got PERIANTHS as well PAINTERS + H, never mind
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matt Coates wrote:i had CANTORIAL written down but didnt want to risk it after my REASONATE mistake on friday, i was gutted about the conundrum if i got that i would have scored in every round, i should have got PERIANTHS as well PAINTERS + H, never mind
You may not have got any of the 9's and the conundrum, but you still scored over a century, which I personally think is a very good score (although others may disagree).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Only caught the last 15 mins, but another v good game Matt. Toughish conundrum. I spotted it at about 13 secs but before that I blurted out ABOLITION. I've never even heard of PERIANTHS (tho I've not heard of much!) so well done for spotting that even if you didnt say it.

Just realised you said it was CANTORIAL you spotted, not PERIANTHS. Well I'd not heard of that one either!
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

that REASONATE mistake really dented my confidence in going for risky words i kept doubting myself even tho i knew a lot of words were right
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matt Coates wrote:that REASONATE mistake really dented my confidence in going for risky words i kept doubting myself even tho i knew a lot of words were right
CANTORIAL was near the beginning of the game, so if you had risked it and it wasn't in, you still had a lot of games in which to catch up. I personally think its just a matter of working out whether you can afford to take a risk.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Hmmm...there's a few reasons that I don't think that's true, Joseph. When I was on, I went for loads of risky words (i.e. stuff I vaguely remembered, stuff I'd just made up, etc.) and I reckon that going for a dodgy one near the start of a game is quite harmful, as I found that it really threw me off-balance if it turned out to be wrong. For the rest of the game I'd play a lot safer than usual, and generally the subsequent dodgy ones I came up with would be OK, but I'd not risk them because of the disallowed one earlier.

Of course, this is nonsense. It doesn't matter at what point in the game you have a word disallowed, but humans are human, and therefore prone to this kind of woolly thinking from time to time.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:Of course, this is nonsense. It doesn't matter at what point in the game you have a word disallowed, but humans are human, and therefore prone to this kind of woolly thinking from time to time.
Occasionally it's true. Gary Male's wild stab at GREENOUTS was his only chance of winning the game, so in a situation like that you might as well go for it. I get furious with myself when I have a word disallowed so I prefer to play safe unless my hand is forced, but sometimes strategy has to dominate personal preference.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jimbentley wrote:Hmmm...there's a few reasons that I don't think that's true, Joseph. When I was on, I went for loads of risky words (i.e. stuff I vaguely remembered, stuff I'd just made up, etc.) and I reckon that going for a dodgy one near the start of a game is quite harmful, as I found that it really threw me off-balance if it turned out to be wrong. For the rest of the game I'd play a lot safer than usual, and generally the subsequent dodgy ones I came up with would be OK, but I'd not risk them because of the disallowed one earlier.
Well you don't want to take too many risks. The more risks you take, the more uneasy you will feel as the game progresses. I still think you can take a stab at a risky word at the beginning, because your opponent could take a risk later on and you can come back to win it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think that how cool you look when you get a good word outweighs how stupid you look when you make shit up.

I had ten words disallowed on the show :cry:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I reckon you should only risk words when you know they're valid.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I got CANTORIAL as it came up as a nine in my game against Dave Mackenzie. Also I was wondering about CURARINE (^) which I know is good in Scrabble but less sure for Countdown as Jim didn't put it in his recap. It doesn't seem to be in my NODE but of course that's not the current dictionary.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah a bit like in Scrabble where if you're significantly ahead at the end of the game, avoid at all costs playing an invalid word because it might be the only way to lose the game.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:I reckon you should only risk words when you know they're valid.
I don't know about that. I came up with INSOLATED straight away in my game against Jack Welsby, which I knew as a Scrabble word so was convinced that it would be allowed in Countdown too.

It was quite an achievement though, coming up with a 9 that IS a word, but just not listed in the ODE.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Corby wrote:I reckon you should only risk words when you know they're valid.
Surely this sentence is illogical? If you know its vaild then how can it be a risk?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Hahaha, Corby, facet is not welcome on this thread.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:Surely this sentence is illogical? If you know its vaild then how can it be a risk?
There could be a bomb?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ginger Jono wrote:I think that how cool you look when you get a good word outweighs how stupid you look when you make shit up.

I had ten words disallowed on the show :cry:
And no good words to show for it.