Spoilers For Tuesday September 22nd 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Alec Rivers
Devotee

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday September 22nd 2009

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:Half-octochamp? So someone who's won two is a quarteroctochamp? A semidemioctochamp?
And today Jeffrey's bidding to become what, a fiveeighthsoctochamp? A sixtytwopointfivepercentoctochamp? :|
Using ordinal prefixes of mixed derivation:

0: Nullchamp or, simply, Chump
1: Monochamp
2: Duochamp
3: Triochamp
4: Tetrochamp
5: Pentochamp
6: Hexochamp
7: Heptochamp
8: Octochamp

8-)

Edit: Changed Unochamp to Monochamp. Thanks, Kirk.
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:Well then, Michael.
Are you at work at the moment?
* If yes, do you watch it live at work and if you do, how?
* If no, are you at home, preparing to watch it?
I'm doing a PhD, and I work from home. I don't watch the show live because I don't have a TV licence. I also fail to see how my position is particularly relevant - I presume you were basing your previous comment on the number of posts in the spoilers thread which, I suspect, come from a pretty small number of people.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Half-octochamp? So someone who's won two is a quarteroctochamp? A semidemioctochamp?
And today Jeffrey's bidding to become what, a fiveeighthsoctochamp? A sixtytwopointfivepercentoctochamp? :|

1: Unochamp
Sounds like someone who is ace at a particular card game. I prefer "monochamp" myself.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Already been done.[/url]James Robinson may be a little surprised at the results. Although Derek, feel free to implement a new poll that we can pick to pieces for lack of thoughtful and complete voting options as per usual etc etc.
Ah yes, but James's poll would be about whether you watch Countdown live from home, or you work and watch it later, or even if you are somehow able to watch it at work. I concede though, it's too similar to that other one. And I had no intention of doing it myself, so you can't pick me apart this time. ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Derek Hazell wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Already been done.[/url]James Robinson may be a little surprised at the results. Although Derek, feel free to implement a new poll that we can pick to pieces for lack of thoughtful and complete voting options as per usual etc etc.
Ah yes, but James's poll would be about whether you watch Countdown live from home, or you work and watch it later, or even if you are somehow able to watch it at work. I concede though, it's too similar to that other one. And I had no intention of doing it myself, so you can't pick me apart this time. ;)
Tbh, that last poll was from over a year ago (wow), and had a pretty tiny response. I reckon we could do with a new one.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Can we have a poll about whether polls should be banned?

EDIT: Actually I think that's been done before too, but I can't be arsed to search.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Can we have a poll about whether polls should be banned?
Hey, we all need plumbers. Racist.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:Can we have a poll about whether polls should be banned?

EDIT: Actually I think that's been done before too, but I can't be arsed to search.
Yep! I did that one too: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... l+on+polls

And then Richard Brittain improved upon it: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... rek+hazell
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Tbh, that last poll was from over a year ago (wow), and had a pretty tiny response. I reckon we could do with a new one.
That last poll didn't include 'self employed' or 'work from home' which both play a big part in people's live Countdown watching opportunities. Derek - we neeeeeed your poll 8-)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:

1: Unochamp
Sounds like someone who is ace at a particular card game. I prefer "monochamp" myself.
lol. I'd not heard of Uno before I Googled it just now.

The inspiration for my words came from this page. If the list had included 'Mono', I would no doubt have used that because I also prefer Monochamp. I suppose I didn't think of it at the time because I restricted my options to the contents of that list, under the mistaken assumption that it would be exhaustive. Big mistake.

Note to self: Don't place too much faith in Wikipedia in future. :cry:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:lol. I'd not heard of Uno before I Googled it just now.

The inspiration for my words came from this page. If the list had included 'Mono', I would no doubt have used that because I also prefer Monochamp. I suppose I didn't think of it at the time because I restricted my options to the contents of that list, under the mistaken assumption that it would be exhaustive. Big mistake.

Note to self: Don't place too much faith in Wikipedia in future. :cry:
Additional note to (your) self: Play Uno. It's a brilliant game.