Spoilers for Wednesday 20 May

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Wednesday 20 May

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers alt:

((50 x (5 - 1) - 7 ) x 3
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 20 May

Post by Mike Brailsford »

3rd Numbers Game

(9 + 1) x 10 = 100

100 + 2 = 102

102 x 8 = 816

816 - 1 - 815
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Mike Brailsford wrote:3rd Numbers Game

(9 + 1) x 10 = 100

100 + 2 = 102

102 x 8 = 816

816 - 1 - 815
Beat me to it :x
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Rich Priest wrote:
Mike Brailsford wrote:3rd Numbers Game

(9 + 1) x 10 = 100

100 + 2 = 102

102 x 8 = 816

816 - 1 - 815
Beat me to it :x
Likewise. :)

Well done, Jimmy. By my reckoning, that's exactly the score you needed to make number 2 seed. (subject to anyone else coming along, of course)

Looking forward to seeing you in the finals now. :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done Jimmy on becoming an Octochamp and number 3 seed. Gonna be some classic quarter finals I reckon. :)
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I bet Jimmy won't risk buzzing in the event of a crucial Conundrum with the hope of it coming to him in the 3 seconds until Jeff asks for the answer. A habit that could cost him !
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I've now just watched the end of the programme, and see that Jeff says you're number 3 seed, Jimmy. I've checked, and still think you're number 2. Same eight programme total as Cate - 782. But you come above her as your highest, 116, beats hers, 113.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Howard Somerset wrote:I've now just watched the end of the programme, and see that Jeff says you're number 3 seed, Jimmy. I've checked, and still think you're number 2. Same eight programme total as Cate - 782. But you come above her as your highest, 116, beats hers, 113.
I think it's conundrum spots that are the first tie-breaker.

Edit: Although countdownwiki says otherwise, so I'm not sure where I got that idea from...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Michael Wallace wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I've now just watched the end of the programme, and see that Jeff says you're number 3 seed, Jimmy. I've checked, and still think you're number 2. Same eight programme total as Cate - 782. But you come above her as your highest, 116, beats hers, 113.
I think it's conundrum spots that are the first tie-breaker.

Edit: Although countdownwiki says otherwise, so I'm not sure where I got that idea from...
Mike Brown's Coundown Page also says otherwise, which is where I got it from.

But if you're right, and it's conundrum spots, then Cate is 6 - 2 ahead of Jimmy.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

It's definitely conundrum spots that decided it - Damian told us at the finals. Jimmy only got 2 conundrums so dropped into number 3 seed.

A nice equaller in round 2 in PORTIERE and in round 3 CORONAE. I was surprised Rachel missed the 102x8-1 for the last numbers game too.

I also find it funny when a contestant has 28 seconds to themselves to get the conundrum but buzz in really quickly only to realise they've made an error. One of my opponents did this in my heats.

Well done Jimmy for becoming an octochamp - roll on the finals!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kirk Bevins wrote:It's definitely conundrum spots that decided it - Damian told us at the finals. Jimmy only got 2 conundrums so dropped into number 3 seed.
Thanks Kirk. Wiki leaderboard changed
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I also find it funny when a contestant has 28 seconds to themselves to get the conundrum but buzz in really quickly only to realise they've made an error. One of my opponents did this in my heat.
Yes, that is interesting. What would you say the balance is between the kudos of getting the conundrum as quickly as possible, or sitting back and relaxing for the remaining time, but at least more probably getting it right?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

MiNGIEST in R8
2nd numbers (50+4)*(9+2)-1=593
3rd numbers as already mentioned above
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I must admit, I would have buzzed in immediately and said ARBITRARY.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I must admit, I would have buzzed in immediately and said ARBITRARY.
Same here.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Innis Carson wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I must admit, I would have buzzed in immediately and said ARBITRARY.
Same here.
And me (I did, mentally I mean)

The 'conundrum spots' is new to this series as far as I know. Or Mike Brown's just been wrong for a long time, which is really really unlikely.

There was a rumour from one of the contestants that Chris Rogers beat that the only conundrum he got right was against her (1) but I can't verify it. There's certainly no concrete evidence that I know of of anyone getting less than two conundrums in eight heat games.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Martin Gardner wrote: The 'conundrum spots' is new to this series as far as I know. Or Mike Brown's just been wrong for a long time, which is really really unlikely.
When I was involved in series 58 the leaderboard listed the seeds by wins, points and number of conundrums spotted so I assume the rule's applied at least since then.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Innis Carson wrote:
Same here.
Having just read the recap - me too.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

And me!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Martin Gardner wrote: The 'conundrum spots' is new to this series as far as I know. Or Mike Brown's just been wrong for a long time, which is really really unlikely.
Just been looking into this and have established the following: I'm sure it was highest scores that were the deciding factor in Series 16, 32 and 34 (even if conundrum results coincide, which I haven't checked). In the next series containing a tie (Series 46), our very own Ben Wilson was number one seed by virtue of a highest score, although he spotted the same number of conundrums as Phil Wass (5) so perhaps we can't be 100% sure. Damian was co-producer by then and I suspect he may have been responsible for the change. We haven't had another tie until now, so as to when the change happened, I'm not sure, but I seem to recall Mr Eadie mentioning it in the past. Care to comment, Damian?