Spoilers for Monday 22nd March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 56)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Spoilers for Monday 22nd March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 56)

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Duckdown max from ABCJKMPQZ?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday 22 March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 56)

Post by Adam Dexter »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm Duckdown max from ABCJKMPQZ?
I'll get the ball rolling with SENSELESSNESSES (I'm sure someone will come along with something better).
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Luke's in a class of his own at the moment. Challenger was a good player, too- like Tom, a bit unlucky to run into Luke!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

DIMFLIES - The Lancastrian beauty queen was put in the wrong place. --> MISFILED.

Anyone?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:09 pm DIMFLIES - The Lancastrian beauty queen was put in the wrong place. --> MISFILED.

Anyone?
Miss Fylde.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Adam Dexter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:54 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm Duckdown max from ABCJKMPQZ?
I'll get the ball rolling with SENSELESSNESSES (I'm sure someone will come along with something better).
DISINTERESTEDNESSES as an extension on that theme.

And Alex very unlucky to come up against Luke. Had some off rounds, but some very good spots as well - would have had a good chance at making the finals if he'd come at most other times this series.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:09 pm DIMFLIES - The Lancastrian beauty queen was put in the wrong place. --> MISFILED.

Anyone?
Miss Fylde.
Fylde being a place in Lancashire. Thanks.

Typical of Nick not to explain these obscure references.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Population 80,000. Just because it's not in the south-east of England doesn't make it obscure. Would you expect an explanation of, say, Barking (population 60,000)?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's not just population. I'd be willing to bet that most viewers didn't understand the teaser. And that's not a good thing. It's not a north/south competition. Maybe it was insensitive of me to call it "obscure", but some explanation should have been given. And this goes for loads of TTTs.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 am It's not just population. I'd be willing to bet that most viewers didn't understand the teaser. And that's not a good thing. It's not a north/south competition. Maybe it was insensitive of me to call it "obscure", but some explanation should have been given. And this goes for loads of TTTs.
I agree and I understood it. It was only a day or two ago that someone mentioned that Nick rarely explains the TTT but Colin often does.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 amI'd be willing to bet that most viewers didn't understand the teaser.
You cannot possibly know that. You can only extrapolate from yourself and the very limited selection of people you know. I would see it as dumbing down with a vengeance to explain that Miss Fylde was a beauty queen from Lancashire, because that is the name of an area and a borough in Lancashire. In recent revelations, would you think it necessary to explain that Walt Disney was a real person if the need arose?

PS I see there actually is a Miss Fylde Coast (though you can never find the correct details for her).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 amI'd be willing to bet that most viewers didn't understand the teaser.
You cannot possibly know that. You can only extrapolate from yourself and the very limited selection of people you know. I would see it as dumbing down with a vengeance to explain that Miss Fylde was a beauty queen from Lancashire, because that is the name of an area and a borough in Lancashire. In recent revelations, would you think it necessary to explain that Walt Disney was a real person if the need arose?

PS I see there actually is a Miss Fylde Coast (though you can never find the correct details for her).
I can possibly know that I'd be willing to bet. There are also ways of explaining things. It doesn't have to be "Fylde is..." He can casually reference it in some way. And the problem with this teaser is that, unlike many others, it's hard to look up if you don't know because you need to know the spelling, so it was extra frustrating.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 am It's not just population. I'd be willing to bet that most viewers didn't understand the teaser. And that's not a good thing. It's not a north/south competition. Maybe it was insensitive of me to call it "obscure", but some explanation should have been given. And this goes for loads of TTTs.
I agree and I understood it. It was only a day or two ago that someone mentioned that Nick rarely explains the TTT but Colin often does.
That was probably me actually!
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

David Williams wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 am

I worked it out during the programme eventually but I tend to agree with Gevin - I've only heard of Fylde because I'm a moderate football geek and I know of AFC Fylde, currently in the sixth tier. I wouldn't have known whether it was in the north or south of England - I don't think my English geography's too bad, considering, but I've never lived anywhere except Scotland.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

It occurs to me that every day countless newspapers publish the solution to the previous day's cryptic crossword. I've never come across one that actually explains the answers.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

They're very different things though. A cryptic crossword has a lot of answers, and it would take a lot of space to print explanations for all of them. The teatime teaser on Countdown is a bit of inclusive fun aimed at a mainstream audience, and I think it's a little jarring not to get what it was about afterwards.