Spoilers for Wednesday 14th January- CoC game 3.

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 14th January- CoC game 3.

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:My post was too subtle :(
ha! that was too clever by half! i'd feel like an idiot if i had posted my 'win' after yours, but I feel ok about it. Corby on the other hand should be ashamed, trying to take your credit.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Yeah, I was going to say UNUSUAL. Dunno how UNUSUAL it is to have a 9-letter-minus word with three Us though...

ULULOUS? That a word?
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Clare Sudbery wrote:ULULOUS? That a word?
ULULATE is definitely a word..... it's a vocalisation of some sort..... as for ULULOUS, Yahoo returned 4 results and Google returned 7 pages with the word on.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Haha, that was awesome. I thought with OMMIT the implication was that Richard obviously knew how to spell OMIT, hence why he specified "with 2 Ms" (like when someone declares DAEMON or whatever) - if he sees this he could clear that up. The conundrum declaration made me roffle too - I don't think there's much wrong with 'messing around' (if you can even call it that) when you've already lost (although I thought it a bit mean on Rachel to choose 6 small at the end, though it turned out to be good for her).
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Jimmy wrote:I wonder if anybody can name a word with 3 U's within 9 letters? I can't.
Why not 4? MUUMUU. UBUNTU is a nice one with 3.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
ha! that was too clever by half! i'd feel like an idiot if i had posted my 'win' after yours, but I feel ok about it. Corby on the other hand should be ashamed, trying to take your credit.
Oops, yeah, I just skimmed your post and missed that entirely.

Sorry Dan :oops:

[/bolas]
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Clare Sudbery wrote:PS I know nothing about RB, saw him for first time today, but he looked to me like he was extremely uncomfortable.
Hmm, no actually, thinking back, I didn't feel at all uncomfortable. Don't think I even broke a sweat, which surprised me. Maybe it was that you were actually uncomfortable watching, but didn't realise it, and projected it onto me? This is the only explanation I can think of.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Michael Wallace wrote:I thought with OMMIT the implication was that Richard obviously knew how to spell OMIT, hence why he specified "with 2 Ms" (like when someone declares DAEMON or whatever) - if he sees this he could clear that up.
Yes, that's right. I said, 'I think it's an alternative spelling', when Susie was paging through the dictionary. Was this cut out? Anyway, no idea where I got it from, but you're right, it was pretty obvious that I knew it wasn't the standard spelling of 'omit'.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

SUCCUBUS surely has no O? tis some kind of demon, def not an adjective anyway...

I misunderstood 'within' to mean 9 or less... I think...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Clare Sudbery wrote:SUCCUBUS surely has no O? tis some kind of demon, def not an adjective anyway...
I'm sure you're right - 9 or less was the intention... I apologise, my first thought was to look for a specifically 9 letter word, and Corby either followed my lead or had the same inspiration.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clare Sudbery wrote:SUCCUBUS surely has no O? tis some kind of demon, def not an adjective anyway...

SUCCUBUS with no O is indeed a demon, a female one that shags you in your sleep. I assume there's some downside afterwards or something, because that actually sounds pretty sweet. Chef nearly married one on South Park, now I think about it.

SUCCUBOUS is an adjective to do with the way leaves come out of a stem or something.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:

SUCCUBUS with no O is indeed a demon, a female one that shags you in your sleep. I assume there's some downside afterwards or something, because that actually sounds pretty sweet.
The other half informs me that it steals your soul, which doesn't seem particularly original, but may or may not be bad.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

In the studio, they mentioned that Jon had been practising loads online, but I think that got edited out. Shame.

Also the only ODE2r 9s with 3 Us are:
UNUSUALLY, UNTUNEFUL, QUERULOUS, LUXURIOUS, SUCCUBOUS, UNSUBDUED, UTRICULUS, FUNICULUS, FRUCTUOUS, OPUSCULUM, UNDUTIFUL, HUMUNGOUS, VULTUROUS, SUMPTUOUS and MURMUROUS....from memory. :lol:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I lol'd in an empty house when Jon said "it was unbelievable Jeff". It was made funnier by the fact that he said it after a touching anecdote about his children.
tonywarren
Rookie

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 14th January- CoC game

Post by tonywarren »

Playing catchup against JC is probably a waste of time. You can go down gamely getting the remaining boring maxes or you can be inventive and attempt to join the immortals.
For OMMIT, SALONEEN & GANDISEEG, all hail the mighty Richard Brittain.

If we were all conventional the world would be a f***ing boring place!
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Well done Corby! Best game of the year so far.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

tonywarren wrote:Playing catchup against JC is probably a waste of time. You can go down gamely getting the remaining boring maxes or you can be inventive and attempt to join the immortals.
For OMMIT, SALONEEN & GANDISEEG, all hail the mighty Richard Brittain.

If we were all conventional the world would be a f***ing boring place!
I agree with this assessment. Also, it's a bit bang out to call an unsociable guy a 'cock', you don't know what factors might be effecting him.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Ben Hunter wrote:I lol'd in an empty house when Jon said "it was unbelievable Jeff". It was made funnier by the fact that he said it after a touching anecdote about his children.
Indeed, this was probably the nicest intro to a contestant ever. For the first (and possibly last) time, I saw Corby as a human being.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Jon Corby wrote:Oops, yeah, I just skimmed your post and missed that entirely.

Sorry Dan :oops:

[/bolas]
I think your apology made it all worthwhile anyway.

As this thread has now returned to what it was once about, and I hadn't done so earlier, I'll add that I was entertained & impressed by an awe-inspiring performance - well done Richard Brittain! ;)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Returning a thread to what it was originally about? What? No, no.

Personally I think there's more challenge in finding the shortest poss word under 9 that contains three Us, rather than 9-letterers... am pondering UHURU, suspect not though...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Returning a thread to what it was originally about? What? No, no.

Personally I think there's more challenge in finding the shortest poss word under 9 that contains three Us, rather than 9-letterers... am pondering UHURU, suspect not though...
I've cheated, UBUNTU is an answer (already mentioned) as is MUUMUU (which is better as it has 4).
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Is TOMMY not allowed then?

And how about SHORERS in Round 12?

Well done Rachel on the last numbers game. First one in the bag! ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:I lol'd in an empty house when Jon said "it was unbelievable Jeff". It was made funnier by the fact that he said it after a touching anecdote about his children.
Heh, I was chuffed to get the first "unbelievable Jeff!" in as it had seemed likely to me that Junaid would nick it on Tuesday, but instead he spoke about thriving under pressure, which then got cut but still referred to at the end of the show, heh heh. I hadn't appreciated that it was juxtaposed with an anecdote about touching my children though.
Kirk Bevins wrote:In the studio, they mentioned that Jon had been practising loads online, but I think that got edited out. Shame.
Ha yeah, that was really funny. They went round everybody's biog in the green room, and mine was the only one which mentioned "practising online" so I threw a hissy fit about it making me sound like a nerd. I wonder if they took my faux-outrage at this injustice seriously, and that's why it got cut...
Junaid Mubeen wrote:For the first (and possibly last) time, I saw Corby as a human being.
As opposed to some kind of deity, right?

Cheers everyone else for your kind words. I'd like to mention as well that I was very chuffed to get one away on a fairly non-obvious 6 small game, but a million times more chuffed that Rach was then able to nail it :D
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Next time I'll just so straight to the Thread of Brag. :)
I'm sorry to read so much criticism for Richard, poor fellow. He did a lot better than I did, that's for sure. Jon would make anyone's effort look bad as he's so good (congratulations, by the way). Anyway, what on earth is wrong with the shuffling system. I really think they need to sort that out. I can't ever remember seeing so many letters X 3 before. Perhaps the new tiles get stuck together or something.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

So sorry Dan, didn't mean to get your quote mixed up with my message. It's a bit early in the morning for me.....woops!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Image to the subtitler btw for correctly spelling GANDISEEG on the caption...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:In the studio, they mentioned that Jon had been practising loads online, but I think that got edited out. Shame.
They cut out online player Corby :(:(:( !
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Jimmy wrote:I wonder if anybody can name a word with 3 U's within 9 letters? I can't.
UHURU (freedom) & URUBU (a vulture) are good in Scrabble, but I don't know if either are in ODE2r. :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Fascinating game - well done Jon. Funniest bit for me was seeing someone with a reputation on C4C for having a foul mouth getting so coy and embarrassed about declaring PEEING.

I spotted CASSATA straight away (I eat Italian a lot) and also noticed OPPOSED in round 7 (IIRC).

I was pleased to hear Andrew given the chance to talk a bit about The Revenge (though I don't think he name-checked it), the wordless Radio 4 play he wrote and starred in, which ranks as one of his most memorable achievements but tends to be eclipsed by Manuel. I recorded the play off the radio in 1978 and still have it on cassette somewhere. Listening to it with eyes closed and on headphones as intended (the play was recorded in binaural stereo), I've never felt so involved in a radio drama before or since. At one point the central character is being chased down a winding country lane on a stolen motorbike; as the headphone-wearing listener, you become that character - the first time I heard it, I found myself actually leaning into the bends.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Funniest bit for me was seeing someone with a reputation on C4C for having a foul mouth getting so coy and embarrassed about declaring PEEING.
Lol, who says I have that reputation? Before filming Susie had said to me that she had popped on here for a quick browse and seen one or two of my posts which were "disgusting and obscene" or something :)
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Thank you Junaid, Tony, Dan Van, and Jason Larsen.

And again, well done Jon Corby.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Richard Brittain wrote:And again, well done Jon Corby.
Thanks mate. I should point out that Rich was exceptionally gracious in defeat, and, if he doesn't mind me adding this (or correcting me if I got it wrong), even said something to me later on about being his favourite opponent he had played against (or something). Considering this was the 12th game of his illustrious career and the only one he didn't win, that's pretty magnanimous.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

But I can't believe they edited out the practising online bit, now it looks like I was thrashed by some random chav! :x

(ask David O'D)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Richard Brittain wrote:But I can't believe they edited out the practising online bit, now it looks like I was thrashed by some random chav! :x
lols
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Corby,

My Mum said that you were "much nicer"
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Ian Dent wrote:Corby,

Than what?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:

Than what?
A turd. On reflection she revised it to "marginally nicer."
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Naomi Laddiman wrote:

Than what?
A turd. On reflection she revised it to "marginally nicer."
:lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Grow up. Jesus.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Grow up. Jesus.
Excellent.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Grow up. Jesus.
Excellent.
lol

Excellent.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Stewart Holden wrote:I'm completely taken aback by today's show. I'd never seen a show with Richard Brittain before, but the guy appears to be nearly illiterate, not to mention a bit of a cock. How on earth did he win a series? Did the other finalists not show up?
From memory, your series was won by someone with one of those two attributes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Stewart Holden wrote:I'm completely taken aback by today's show. I'd never seen a show with Richard Brittain before, but the guy appears to be nearly illiterate, not to mention a bit of a cock. How on earth did he win a series? Did the other finalists not show up?
From memory, your series was won by someone with one of those two attributes.
Following a childhood accident involving a spoon, I am unable to apply modus tollendo ponens, so you'll have to explain the joke.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jon Corby wrote:QUERULOUS
I only saw that as 2 x U at first. A bit like those how many 'f's are in this sentence, and the brain has trouble recognising the ones in 'if'. I saw the 'QU' as one letter.

PS nice to have seen you ont'telly, Jon.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Jeavons wrote: I only saw that as 2 x U at first. A bit like those how many 'f's are in this sentence, and the brain has trouble recognising the ones in 'if'. I saw the 'QU' as one letter.
Isn't it "of" that causes the problems, because the 'f' is pronounced like 'v'?
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Ahem, after a quick google, why yes Charlie, you're right. I was just checking you were paying attention. ;)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kai Laddiman wrote:POOPIES :lol:
Just catching up watching last weeks' games since I'd travelled up to see the real thing! :)

I put 'POOPIES' in round 8 too. I then looked it up, and unfortunately it's not in ODE2r. :(
If there'd've been a T or R, POOPIER or POOPIEST would've been fine, though.

Congratulations to Jon, and commiserations to Richard.

Definitely shows that if any of you champs want to do well in future C of Cs, then apterous is a good place to practice. Richard obviously has better things to do with his time.

At least Richard has some hobbies, nerdy or not. I can't think of any that I have apart from Countdown!
Still, I do have 5 children and Home Education to keep me busy. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: You don't often get "rare" trains.
Makes sense.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: You don't often get "rare" trains.
Makes sense.
Worthy bump.