Spoilers for Wednesday 18th December 2019 (Series 81, SF1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Spoilers for Wednesday 18th December 2019 (Series 81, SF1)

Post by Tony Atkins »

1st Semi Final James v Morgan
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18th December 2019 (Series 81, SF1)

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt first numbers (25x100-50)/10=245
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Third numbers out of time (100x10-75+7)x25/50=466
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Well done to James (and to Callum).
CO-MSO every August
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

(I had some technical difficulties getting this up yesterday so here goes!!)

Before we get on with the review, I must of course congratulate Countdown's own Rachel Riley as she has given birth! What a joyous occasion indeed and I wish her all the best as her new role as a mother and of course, sending my regards to Pasha Kovalev as well! :D Have a good Christmas Rachel and I guess we'll have to endure your pregnant form on camera for the next three months! :lol:

Letters: It was pretty much knick and knack from the start until Round 5 when James had ROSACEA to increase the lead! However, excellent job to both contestants as well for getting a common Countdown word by now AGOUTIS in Round 7 and the sole nine in Round 11, MEDIATION! Brilliant work!

Numbers: No surprises here as both players stick to what they know best. But, it's always those numbers games that usually determine the fate of some players right? And unfortunately, it was absolutely the case with James beating Morgan on his specialty (aka 4 Large) both times and with Morgan's selection not being too tricky for a Finals match, things certainly didn't go the latter's way. :(

Conundrum: Not an easy one again but I accidentally got the word SPIRAL, only to realise I could put -ISE at the back to get the correct answer! Unsurprisingly, no one got it but oh, a familiar face in the audience comes to save the day again and it's Callum Todd! :D So, there goes our perfect Conundrum solving streak for this Finals I guess as well...

I had predicted James to win by a margin of around 30 points. Not too far off with the margin at 34 points eventually. So, the Postgrad has won and we have to say goodbye to the Undergrad Morgan. You did play brilliantly and tried to stop James, however he was simply no match for you with especially when it came to the 4 Large (Perhaps it's also time for me to start watching Celebrity Countdown as well to find out more Maths trcks!) But, as you leave the studio, you will always be remembered for that thrilling match yesterday which certainly gave a lot of us a scare at home! And just like Andy, all the best in your Studies!

So, who will get to take the other spot to face James the day after? Two excellent players with James spoiling in the Daily Chat that tomorrow's match is going to be fun! We'll see if his word holds true!!

Progress:
QF1 (12 December): James Haughton (#1) vs David Law (#8) (147 - 60)
QF2 (13 December): Jamie Wing (#2) vs Tom Silverlock (#7) (121 - 78)
QF3 (16 December): Paul Nixon (#3) vs John Osmond (#6) (117 - 102)
QF4 (17 December): Morgan Sauer (#4) vs Andy Evans (#5) (78 - 77)
SF1 (18 December): James Haughton (QF1 Winner) vs Morgan Sauer (QF4 Winner) (113 - 79)
SF2 (19 December): Jamie Wing (QF2 Winner) vs Paul Nixon (QF3 Winner)
GF (20 December): James Haughton (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)