Spoilers for Thursday 12th December 2019 (Series 81, QF1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 12th December 2019 (Series 81, QF1)

Post by Ray Wilding »

It's a cracking start for James
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 12th December 2019 (Series 81, QF1)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game. Shame he missed the 8s in round 11 for the record score though!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

There was also MONACTINE in one round.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I beat James with Situated and Liaisons. But seriously well done James!
James Haughton

Post by James Haughton »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:54 pm Great game. Shame he missed the 8s in round 11 for the record score though!
Cheers! I did write SAILINGS down, but I wouldn't necessarily say that going for it meant I would have got the record. Once I got the 3rd nine, I tensed up as I knew the record was on. Hence why I missed SITUATED the round previously. Losing that round, I was able to sort of give myself a little pep talk to refocus myself and I definitely played better from then on. If I hadn't have done that, I might have gone for something silly like BILLIWACK for the conundrum, which was actually my first thought.

Anyway very happy with 147 (nice snooker ring to it as some pointed out to me afterwards) and I'm not really on Zarte's or Elliott's level, would be a bit silly me being in the 150 club with them.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Wowee! I guess Countdown's budget is more compared to the last two years as evident by the fact that they can afford more fancy Christmas Decorations and of course, adding a snow effect to the Opening Titles. :lol: (Anyways, today is also Polling day so a friendly reminder from me that if you're eligible to vote in this Snap Election, make sure to do so by 10pm!!)

Letters: Can you believe this? Two nines to start off the show with James getting NEFARIOUS (I failed to spot that) and MONRADITE! Poor David was already badly trailing behind in a reminiscence of Zarte vs Thomas in CoCXV earlier in January... :( Four more great spots to James with ACOURIS ROUGINE, MACONITE and AEROTOW. AHHH!! In his excitement David had forgotten to declare he had not written down UNROASTED in full! It was so, so painful and I really didn't know how to react... :cry: Fortunately, he was redeemed by going for the plural of SAILING to beat James afterwards.

Numbers: As expected, James goes for his 4 Large tactic in Round 3. It looks hard at first glance BUT if you had watched the trick to solving such 4 Large Problems in the second episode of Celebrity Countdown, this shouldn't be too tricky. The rest were pretty much straightforward for a Finals match so I won't comment further.

Conundrum: Got the conundrum just literally a split second after James did. Not an easy one and I expect the next six to be the same too!
James Haughton wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:51 pm Anyway very happy with 147 (nice snooker ring to it as some pointed out to me afterwards) and I'm not really on Zarte's or Elliott's level, would be a bit silly me being in the 150 club with them.
Overall, I predicted James would win by around 60 points and in the end, the margin was way higher at 87 points in part to the plethora of "Nines" available here. Third highest-score in the History of Countdown, and to top off all three highest scores now were set in 2019! (This is surely a good year to remember eh?) Nah, regardless of whether you broke the record or not we would still support you. There's nothing silly, you should be proud of it after all! :D

As for David, poor him and he had to contemplate with James getting all the nines while he had none in the end. :( However, there's no need to feel so bad, you made it this far and you should be proud of yourself, there's no shame in losing here! Enjoy your retirement and keep supporting Countdown! :)

Up tomorrow for QF2, it's "Human Dictionary" (gosh I want to think of another nickname but nah) Jamie Wing vs "Always on a Knife Edge in the Preliminaries but Survived to be Here" Tom Silverlock. The first and the last Octochamps of the Series facing each other, surely this will be interesting!

Progress:
QF1 (12 December): James Haughton (#1) vs David Law (#8) (147 - 60)
QF2 (13 December): Jamie Wing (#2) vs Tom Silverlock (#7)
QF3 (16 December): Paul Nixon (#3) vs John Osmond (#6)
QF4 (17 December): Morgan Sauer (#4) vs Andy Evans (#5)
SF1 (18 December): James Haughton (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (19 December): (QF2 Winner) vs (QF3 Winner)
GF (20 December): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)