Spoilers for Thursday 27th June 2019 (Series 80, 2nd Semi-Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 27th June 2019 (Series 80, 2nd Semi-Final)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There's time for one last frantic Countdown-a-palooza before the grand finale.

Won't be able to make the recap until tomorrow night so someone else can fill in.

Good luck to Dinos and Brendan, as well as to Nick on not embarrassing himself with his pronunciation of the former's surname this time.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 27th June 2019 (Series 80, 2nd Semi-Final)

Post by Ray Wilding »

(10*5+6)*(7+2)+3 for an alt in R9.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

A tidier alt:(10+3)x(6+7)x(5-2)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Another good game again with some great words and numbers solves from both! Congrats Dinos and commiserations to Brendan! Can't wait for tomorrow, will be an exciting game! Best of luck to both Elliott and Dinos! :D

No beaters today but some extra words I liked: ALFISOL in R1, KNITWEAR in R7, APOMICT in R8 and POSTGAME in R11. :)
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Back here after putting up the recap on the Wiki on behalf of Johnny! The other (and less interesting) Semi-Final today with Dinos vs Brendan, with the latter going for a less formal look today with just a polo shirt! Also, if you were observant enough during the credits Rachel was actually beating to the rhythm of the closing theme! :lol:

Letters: Again, it's good to start the show brilliantly, with ROSALIA from Dinos in R1 and he ups the game further with OOCYTES in R4 and METOPIC in R7 too! However, terribly unlucky with his odontal in R10 and ironically as Fiona pointed out here, he did attempt this word on Apterous some seven years ago. Well, I can't blame him for not knowing that...

Numbers: As usual Dinos sticks to the six small combination and Brendan with the three large for now. The former succeeds with the moderate R3 and both eventually got there with the ridiculously easy R6 (Though some admit on the Daily Chat with 3L they took some time to spot that way out). Oh no, Dinos messes up in R9 and gives Brendan the opportunity to close the gap! :( Finally, with the margin still at 15 points before R14 Brendan bravely decides for 4L and I was so afraid this was going to flop as this was his first time trying this combination! Fortunately, he had a happy ending but with Dinos solving it too his fate was sealed.

Conundrum: A confident Dinos shouts POTPOURRI less than five seconds in and voila, it's the correct answer! (I yelled "Oh!!" so hard at my screen when it was revealed.) On all counts I would have blanked out without any clue.

I had considered revising my margin for this game after seeing Brendan's performance on Monday but I thought otherwise and eventually settled with my original margin with Dinos winning by around 20 points. With the margin eventually at 25 points, that's not a bad prediction after all and I don't regret my decision as I had contemplated with a new margin as extreme as 40 points.

Brendan, as I echo Rachel's words, "it's a sad day to lose" you knowing that you have been extremely cheerful on-screen and even with Steven and Dinos hammering you, you took it in your stride, for all ten of your appearances, both in 2018 and 2019! Hopefully you will be able to introduce the more frequent shoppers at your local supermarket to Countdown sometime in the future! :)

In less than 24 hours from now the public will know who lifts the coveted Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy. Will Elliott really be unstoppable and take the title of the highest ever Xicount beating Zarte's record just over a year ago, or can Dinos make a crucial dent and be the "Mike Daysley" of this Series, stunning everyone? As the latter said at the end of today's episode, "Should be a good game". It better be and don't miss it!!!

Progress:
QF1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1) vs Mark Decouto (#8) (109 - 73)
QF2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2) vs Sandra Pilson (#7) (118 - 71)
QF3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3) vs Steven Turnbull (#6) (58 - 57)
QF4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5) (98 - 78)
SF1 (26 June): Elliott Mellor (QF1 Winner) vs Maggie Barlow (QF4 Winner) (120 - 80)
SF2 (27 June): Dinos Sfyris (QF2 Winner) vs Brendan Whitehurst (QF3 Winner) (103 - 78)
GF (28 June): Elliott Mellor (SF1 Winner) vs Dinos Sfyris (SF2 Winner)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Congrats Dinos!! Commiserations Brendan!! But around 110 contestants and you got 3rd place in this series!! And good luck to Dinos and Elliott tomorrow!! We shall see tomorrow who's name is going under Mike Daysley's on the Richard whiteley memorial trophy!!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Brendan's amazingly awesome Countdown cakes on twitter!

https://twitter.com/dond68/status/1144277198314115078
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:34 pm Brendan's amazingly awesome Countdown cakes on twitter!

https://twitter.com/dond68/status/1144277198314115078
They look delicious!!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

A bit edgy from Dinos today, I've got him down to win the whole thing!!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm Posted by Dinos on fb.

https://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?g ... nd=8774643

Oops! :lol: :o :(
I think we all know who's responsible for that. That match fucked everyone's head at the time and it's effects are still felt to this day.
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_4735