Spoilers for Monday 24th June 2019 (S80, QF3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 24th June 2019 (S80, QF3)

Post by Tom S »

Brendan Whitehurst v Steven Turnbull. Let's see what happens!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Monday 24th June 2019.

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matching lumberjack shirts for Brendan and Rufus.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

(100+50-4)*7-75-3 in R9.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Quite an enjoyable game tbh, despite the low score. Both players had their good moments. Do feel for Steven though as he did look gutted and played well on the letters front with nice spots like Earwigs and Hooligan. Good rapport though....
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So here we are, last week of Series 80 and my commendation to Brendan for wearing a near-identical shirt to Rufus! (Coupled with the latter throwing the Picture Frame before the Anecdote ended. :lol: ) I also heard from our fellow Finalist Fiona Titcombe on the Daily Chat that Brendan also brought cake to the studio. How lovely! :)

Letters: Steven is off to a good start, taking advantage of Brendan's invalid declaration in R1 and with EARWIGS in R2 to beat him. "I'm a HOOLIGAN" from R4 is excellent (Even though you're not one... :lol: ) Unlucky Brendan, Quarter-Final nerves probably got the better of him with his invalid innovated and quarted in R7 and R8 respectively. :( However, he did make a comeback closer to the end...

Numbers: After Brendan's not-so-terrific start, he gambles with 3L which, given that we've only seen once in the Preliminaries may or may not help him. He closes the gap in R3 but wait, he is beaten by Steven in R9 and the gamble this time backfires! CECIL also decides to throw up difficult targets for all the rounds except for R14 which was simple enough with six small. That didn't work out for Steven who most likely wanted to steer clear of opposition at the last minute :(

Conundrum: *Conundrum appears* Wait a minute haven't I seen this scramble before somewhere? Turns out they recycled the Conundrum from QF2 of Series 76 (22 June 2017) and that's how I knew CHAGRINED almost instantaneously! Alas, the time ran out and no one got it, meaning that with just a razor-thin margin of a single point, Brendan is through to the Semi-Finals!!! :o

If there's one thing I have to say after watching today's game, it's that the ending nearly gave me a mini-heart attack with Brendan trailing behind for most of the game and then he comes back to take the day! I had predicted a margin of around 40 points in Brendan's favour but Steven, just like Mark Decouto last Thursday, you certainly proved me very, very wrong! You have definitely dramatically improved from your Preliminaries with such good words! Unfortunately, today wasn't the day and your 20 point margin at its peak slowly got eaten away until you eventually lost. :( It must have been a painful loss for you, however if there's one good thing, you've certainly made the audience at home (and perhaps in the studio as well) on the edge of their seats with such a nail-biting finish! While you may have been the lowest-scoring Octochamp in the history of the show, you're definitely not the worst of the bunch! (No offense to others either!) :)

So Brendan's off to play against Dinos in the second Semi-Finals but first, it's the final Quarter-Finals tomorrow and battle of the Female Octochamps, the first in a long, long while! "First Female Octochamp since 2016 and Outstanding Former Librarian" Maggie Barlow will be facing off "Newcomer to the Daily Chat on Apterous but certainly not in IT and on Television" Fiona Titcombe. No doubt this will be another match to watch out for!

Progress:
QF1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1) vs Mark Decouto (#8) (109 - 73)
QF2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2) vs Sandra Pilson (#7) (118 - 71)
QF3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3) vs Steven Turnbull (#6) (58 - 57)
QF4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5)
SF1 (26 June): Elliott Mellor (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (27 June): Dinos Sfyris (QF2 Winner) vs Brendan Whitehurst (QF3 Winner)
GF (28 June): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Now that is a game that'll put anyone paying attention on the edge of their seats
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Additionally, the stats pointed towards Steven being the better player in this game....
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I wanted Brendan to win but I thought after round 9 it would be Steven.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Good game for TV and congrats to Brendan - 2 maxes must be the lowest by the winner in a finals match though - anyone got any stats on this?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 am Good game for TV and congrats to Brendan - 2 maxes must be the lowest by the winner in a finals match though - anyone got any stats on this?
I'd say it probably is- though in his defence, there were quite a lot of darrenic words, and the numbers were difficult to max bar the 6S. Good game, nonetheless, though.