Spoilers for Thursday 20th June 2019 (Series 80, QF1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 20th June 2019 (Series 80, QF1)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Elliott returns.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 20th June 2019 (Series 80, QF1)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He seems a little bit rattled actually. 13 up as I type though so not within crucial territory.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm He seems a little bit rattled actually. 13 up as I type though so not within crucial territory.
To be fair, after Rufus decided to spring something really bizarre on me that I didn't understand, and in truth not expecting a game as close as this, it's quite excusable.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm He seems a little bit rattled actually. 13 up as I type though so not within crucial territory.
To be fair, after Rufus decided to spring something really bizarre on me that I didn't understand, and in truth not expecting a game as close as this, it's quite excusable.
Yeah, fair enough. It wasn't meant as a criticism! Very well played anyway with some difficult rounds.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks - have to say though credit to Mark, he put up a brilliant fight there. PROCLAIM was really well spotted - I totally blanked.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Really good game by both- good sportsmanship and Mark made a vast improvement on his original run- it kind of reminded of me as one similar to Tony Manwani's finals performances in terms of improvement. Very well played by Elliott though!
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So here we go with the Finals once again, "Standing Room Only" I hear, looks like many people were present in the studio three months ago to watch "Mellbot and Sole 1000 Scorer in the Prelims to Date" Elliott Mellor against "Looks similar to Sajid Javid but he's not" Mark Decouto (Sorry I couldn't resist making that since he got ousted from the Conservative Leadership Race about an hour before this episode aired).

Letters: Excellent playing from both contestants, especially from Mark who had PROCLAIM to beat Elliott's noteworthy APORIA. Nice words also from the Elliott with DESIROUS and whoa, YAUTIA! (Although some people on the Daily Chat were making fun it was pronounced wrongly. :lol: Still that doesn't matter...)

Numbers: If you have played against Elliott before on Apterous, six small (in addition to his 1L combination) is another of his favourites and I'm not surprised he selected it here given how close Mark was pitting against him. It's a shame CECIL threw up two impossible rounds and two ridiculously easy rounds for a Final. So I guess you can say it's balanced. Unfortunately, the former was enough to increase the margin for Mark as he blanked out and his final and first 3L gamble didn't work out. :(

Conundrum: And before you know it I hear C1's buzzer. With the audience giving an audible "Ooh", the answer INGENUITY comes up and Elliott crashes over the century barrier once again! I got the answer in the end in 15 seconds, but that is certainly WAY too slow against Elliott. ;)
Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:58 pm Thanks - have to say though credit to Mark, he put up a brilliant fight there. PROCLAIM was really well spotted - I totally blanked.
Wise words from you Elliott when you said your commiserations to Mark at the end of the show. I had predicted a margin of around 50 points with Elliott winning but Mark, you've definitely put up a much, much stronger fight than I predicted and proved me wrong with the margin only at 36 points! Even though the odds may have been stacked against you right from the start, you chose to fight on until the very end. No shame in losing to a very formidable opponent and all the best in your work! :) (P.S. I had predicted 50 in case there was a nine which Elliott would spot but it never happened.)

The next match is an interesting one because both contestants have appeared in the same series before (Series 57 in 2007) but have never met until 12 years later. "Once a prodigy and another guy who needs no introduction" Dinos Sfyris against "Never won in 2007 but now has six in 2019" Sandra Pilson. Let's see if sparks will fly with two returning contestants...

Progress:
QF1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1) vs Mark Decouto (#8) (109 - 73)
QF2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2) vs Sandra Pilson (#7)
QF3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3) vs Steven Turnbull (#6)
QF4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5)
SF1 (26 June): Elliott Mellor (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (27 June): (QF2 Winner) vs (QF3 Winner)
GF (28 June): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm
The next match is an interesting one because both contestants have appeared in the same series before (Series 57 in 2007) but have never met until 12 years later. "Once a prodigy and another guy who needs no introduction" Dinos Sfyris against "Never won in 2007 but now has eight in 2019" Sandra Pilson. Let's see if sparks will fly with two returning contestants...
Don't mean to be pedantic, but should it be 6? :)
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:46 pm
The next match is an interesting one because both contestants have appeared in the same series before (Series 57 in 2007) but have never met until 12 years later. "Once a prodigy and another guy who needs no introduction" Dinos Sfyris against "Never won in 2007 but now has eight in 2019" Sandra Pilson. Let's see if sparks will fly with two returning contestants...
Gah my bad! Edited it now, thanks for pointing it out!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:53 pm
Tom S wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:46 pm
Gah my bad! Edited it now, thanks for pointing it out!
No worries :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Superb as always Elliott but I cannot ignore Mark. He played a much closer game than I was expecting. Proclaim was excellent!! I missed it.

R1: Lithoes
R2: outrage
R3: Absolutely nothing.
R4: Circles
R5: makes
R6: got it
R7: I think I got the same as Elliott
R8: clamp
R9: same as mark
R10: same as Elliott
R11: was busy during that round
R12: strained
R13: audio
R14:'973
R15: Got the conundrum. I think I buzzed at the same time as Elliott.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Entertaining game and a great showing from Mark - the winning margin probably a little bit harsh on him in the end. The experience of Elliott not having a walk-over and experiencing (and overcoming with aplomb) a little bit of pressure may help him later on if (and it's a big if) he gets a closer match.