Spoilers For Monday 18th March 2019

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers For Monday 18th March 2019

Post by Tom S »

Well done Maggie! A very likeable personality and a strong player, too- one of the best non-Apterites in a while. Look forward to seeing her in the finals! On that note, I think I will start making some stats for the first 3 octochamps so far.....
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for 18th March 2019

Post by Toby McDonald »

Is OUTLAIN actually allowed now since the new dictionary update?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Toby McDonald wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 pm Is OUTLAIN actually allowed now since the new dictionary update?
The definition Susie implied was there doesn't match the free version (to outdo in lying) so maybe the paying version allows it.

You could do a 38×25-6 method in the third numbers to go with 38×25+6 in the first.

Finally, I like how Rachel needed all three of 25, 10 and 5 to make a 2.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 pm
Toby McDonald wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 pm Is OUTLAIN actually allowed now since the new dictionary update?
The definition Susie implied was there doesn't match the free version (to outdo in lying) so maybe the paying version allows it.

You could do a 38×25-6 method in the third numbers to go with 38×25+6 in the first.

The entry for OUTLIE is identical in Premium, Susie has just misinterpreted it. Should it be added to apterous?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ray Wilding wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm

The entry for OUTLIE is identical in Premium, Susie has just misinterpreted it. Should it be added to apterous?
I'm not sure what Apterous policy is - whether it considers rulings on Countdown as binding or not. And even then, for how long? Until someone else offers it and it's rejected? Otherwise are we still stuck with it in 20 years?

Of course, if we're being truly pedantic about it, the dictionary doesn't specify (the free version anyway) what sort of lying it's talking about and there's no example sentences. It seems fairly clear that it would be talking about fibbing, but it might not be!!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was surprised to see that Maggie only got 794 points actually. Especially considering Dinos got 918 and I didn't think he was actually that much better. I suppose it was the lack of 9s and also greater inconsistency on the numbers.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:11 am I was surprised to see that Maggie only got 794 points actually. Especially considering Dinos got 918 and I didn't think he was actually that much better. I suppose it was the lack of 9s and also greater inconsistency on the numbers.
I think that the 1st score played a part, though she was up against a better than normal player which does hamper the scoring at times. Maggie's score is quite good considering she had no 9s declared. Agree with the rest- she could be a bit of a dark horse in the finals....
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Oh yeah you offered that against Jason right Toby?
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm
Oh yeah you offered that against Jason right Toby?
Yeah, that's right.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Monday 18th March 2019

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 pm
Ray Wilding wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm not sure what Apterous policy is - whether it considers rulings on Countdown as binding or not. And even then, for how long? Until someone else offers it and it's rejected? Otherwise are we still stuck with it in 20 years?

Of course, if we're being truly pedantic about it, the dictionary doesn't specify (the free version anyway) what sort of lying it's talking about and there's no example sentences. It seems fairly clear that it would be talking about fibbing, but it might not be!!!
Was wondering about this today.

Both free and premium give the following source

"Mid 17th century; earliest use found in John Donne (1572–1631), poet and Church of England clergyman. From out- + lie."

googling finds this

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uJj ... ie&f=false

But pedant's motley tongue, soldier's bombast,
Mountebank's drug-tongue, nor the terms of law
Are strong enough preparatives to draw
Me to bear this; yet I must be content
With his tongue. In his tongue, called compliment,
In which he can win windows and pay scores,
Make men speak treason, cozen subtlest whores,
Out-flatter favourites, or outlie either
Jovius or Surius or both together,
He names me, and comes to me; I whisper, God!

Hmm, not sure what he's doing with his tongue :P

But I think he's talking about telling lies. :)

IMO outlain is nonsense and has been disallowed more times (lots) than allowed (once).
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Monday 18th March 2019

Post by Fiona T »

Suzie's comment at the time:

"Scratching my head over outlain, Maggie, but if something lies beyond or on the outside of something geographically, that is to outlie obviously and the sensible past participle would be outlain."

However, neither version of dictionary gives the lie beyond definition - both say "outdo in lying".