Spoilers for Wednesday 27th February 2019 (Series 80, Prelim 26)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 27th February 2019 (Series 80, Prelim 26)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Diiiiiinos
cheers maus
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 27th February 2019 (Series 80, Prelim 26)

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gardenias. Fantastic
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

CORONAE in R12.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Dinos is smashing it. Had the first 2 letters selections been more generous, Zarte's 150 score would have probably been exceeded.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

UROGRAM in R2
ARCHEON to match CORONAE in R12
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... er-preload

Just a clarification on DRAINAGES, would someone with ODO Premium let us know if it's valid over there? Personally, I would have done the same as Susie and allowed it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

samir pilica wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:10 pm Dinos is smashing it. Had the first 2 letters selections been more generous, Zarte's 150 score would have probably been exceeded.
Well, he would have needed 14 more points to beat 150, which means an 8 and a 9, so yes, but they would have needed to have been very generous. And it kind of goes for all games!
Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 pm https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... er-preload

Just a clarification on DRAINAGES, would someone with ODO Premium let us know if it's valid over there? Personally, I would have done the same as Susie and allowed it.
It's not on Apterous - not that that is the ultimate arbiter but just another thing to look at. Based on the free version, I'd probably say not. The second meaning is still under the mass noun heading, and if you'd allow it on that definition, I don't really see why you wouldn't for the first definition.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 pm
samir pilica wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:10 pm Dinos is smashing it. Had the first 2 letters selections been more generous, Zarte's 150 score would have probably been exceeded.
Well, he would have needed 14 more points to beat 150, which means an 8 and a 9, so yes, but they would have needed to have been very generous. And it kind of goes for all games!
Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 pm https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... er-preload

It's not on Apterous - not that that is the ultimate arbiter but just another thing to look at. Based on the free version, I'd probably say not. The second meaning is still under the mass noun heading, and if you'd allow it on that definition, I don't really see why you wouldn't for the first definition.
The entry for DRAINAGE is identical in premium. I can see why she interprets that if DRAINAGE is "A system of drains", surely you could have more than one? But if it applies to DRAINAGE, what else does it apply to? SEDATIONS hasn't come up since she disallowed it http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5425, but I'd like to see her argue against it after allowing DRAINAGES.

Of course, if the ODO were better at just listing plurals that are used, rather than it being up to Susie's whim, that'd be great.
Judy W

Post by Judy W »

Excellent play from Dinos - surely a potential series winner.

But very unlucky for Jamie to draw against him - in any other match he'd be octochamp material.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ray Wilding wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:18 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 pm

The entry for DRAINAGE is identical in premium. I can see why she interprets that if DRAINAGE is "A system of drains", surely you could have more than one? But if it applies to DRAINAGE, what else does it apply to? SEDATIONS hasn't come up since she disallowed it http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5425, but I'd like to see her argue against it after allowing DRAINAGES.

Of course, if the ODO were better at just listing plurals that are used, rather than it being up to Susie's whim, that'd be great.
Yes, I think most mass nouns have a definition that starts "A..." or "The..." so looks pluralisable in that sense. But I agree - it's about having a dictionary that deals with it better. All the free advertising that Oxford Dictionaries get from Countdown, and they've never done anything to make things easier. If I were Team Countdown I would have left them long ago.