Spoilers for Wednesday 9th January 2019 (COC XV, game 6)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 9th January 2019 (COC XV, game 6)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Quality content yesterday.

We return with a new guest and a new pair of series champs. 77's Tom Chafer Cook, wearing red for Zac, against 75's Martin Hurst, wearing his usually flowery stuff. Spoilers. Who win? Who knows.

94% of yous said Tom would win, with an average margin of 21.06
cheers maus
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 9th January 2019 (COC XV, game 6)

Post by Owen Carroll »

Martin was available and in this episode right?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

As in, he didn't have to back out
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Cracking performance from Tom, he could've easily maxed every letters game if it wasn't for having to make tactical decisions!
The score feels harsh on Martin given the 2 nines, he certainly didn't disgrace himself.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Well done tom. Bad luck Martin. Two nines though, very impressive. Good luck in the qf Matthew and Tom.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Missing VAMPIRES and one of the million 7s in the EELPOUT round, plus the numbers I messed up on that I should have got when I thought I had it early and realised on about 25 seconds I actually didn't all equated to 32 points on the floor, and you can't make any mistakes against someone as good as Tom, let alone a few.

I won't count the last numbers round in this as the initial pick came up with a very easy target/solution, but a tile fell on the floor so it had to be re-done with the slightly harder (albeit still very gettable) selection/target.

Still, had a great few days away from the sleepless nights of the children!!! :) And no disgrace at all losing to someone as good and as nice a bloke as Tom is.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Well, this might not have been a much-anticipated match compared to yesterday but two Grand Champions fighting once again, I mean how many times a draw results in that? Another match with a combined score of over 200 points, my my these Champions are something! :D Excellent spot from Tom with MADERNISE and EELPOUT. Also, from both, ELASIPODS, even Rachel admitted in her tenure here in a decade she never came across this word before! (I might have searched this up on Catsdown when doing up the recaps and forgotten about this.)
Martin Hurst wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:34 pm Missing VAMPIRES and one of the million 7s in the EELPOUT round, plus the numbers I messed up on that I should have got when I thought I had it early and realised on about 25 seconds I actually didn't all equated to 32 points on the floor, and you can't make any mistakes against someone as good as Tom, let alone a few.

I won't count the last numbers round in this as the initial pick came up with a very easy target/solution, but a tile fell on the floor so it had to be re-done with the slightly harder (albeit still very gettable) selection/target.

Still, had a great few days away from the sleepless nights of the children!!! :) And no disgrace at all losing to someone as good and as nice a bloke as Tom is.
Unlucky Martin, you couldn't really catch up with Tom and after that unfortunate stumble in R9 you couldn't really recover. :( Don't worry, if there's one good thing that came out of all this, it's that Nick didn't cast a curse three times in a row and "made" you lose. Continue being a fan of Countdown and have fun playing at home or in the studio with the audience should you come back! And I agree with you, no disgrace at all and hope your children will like your reward! (P.S. Wow I had no idea R14 had to be redone after that happened.) Excellent work Tom, highest scorer of the CoC thus far and with that half the line-up of the Quarter Finals are known!

This isn't the end yet, oh no this is only Part I where the Grand Champions face off. There's still Part II tomorrow where the Runners-up of both Series battle, again how rare for a draw is that? Let's see if the only other S75 conestant here can keep his Series' flame alive in the Championship or will it die out like the S74 and S76 contestant(s)...

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs (Preliminary #8 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs (Preliminary #7 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:22 amwearing red for Zac
Zac Efron?
And red...
...because he's hot?

Excellent game today.
Those obscure 9's were a real treat for those of us into COC worship. :geek:
Well played both...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Zac Efron?
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/hea ... -year-old/
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Zac Efron?
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/hea ... -year-old/
Ah fair play.
Far less shallow than the thing I said so.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Would've been a new high score if reforcing was a word!

I fancy Tom
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

George Pryn wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 pmI fancy Tom
I think it's generally assumed that people do now unless stated otherwise.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It was interesting listening to Nick waffling on about some restaurants allowing people 90 minutes for their bookings. But the main determiner of how long it takes is how long the restaurant takes to serve you and cook your food.