Spoilers for Thursday 13th December 2018 (Series 79, QF 1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 13th December 2018 (Series 79, QF 1)

Post by Thomas Carey »

It's quarter final time!

#1 seed, Apterite and general cool guy Martin May takes on lucky to be here #9 seed, 7 time winner and combover king Bob Lunt.

And now for a bunch of stats:

Martin May:
Wins: 8
Maxes: 61/120 (51%) (34/80 (43%) letters, 21/32 (66%) numbers, 6/8 (75%) conundrums)
Highest Score: 117 (games 2 and 8)
Lowest Score: 89 (game 6)
9s Achieved: 3/9

Bob Lunt:
Wins: 7
Maxes: 49/120 (41%) (27/80 (34%) letters, 18/32 (56%) numbers, 4/8 (50%) conundrums)
Highest Score: 101 (game 4)
Lowest Score: 78 (game 2)
9s Achieved: 1/3
cheers maus
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 13th December 2018 (Series 79, QF 1)

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd numbers alt: ((6 x 10) + 1) x 9
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Before I get on with the review, I do have to mention this: Not crediting Robin Johnson for qualifying and being unable to make it plus claiming that Bob is naturally the #8 seed irked me. :?

(P.S. To those on the Daily Chat, sorry for asking the spoiler above during the Anecdote as I crashed in late due to "you know why"...and please don't ask it here as it's not a pleasant reason I want to share both privately and publicly)

Letters: Martin absolutely delivered the killer from the top with VERSIONAL, and Bob was pretty much finished even before we got to the first TTT. Another good spot from him was ALIASES although tbf, I give credit to Bob for spotting FLANGES.

Numbers: I hope we're not going to get insanely easy Numbers Rounds like what we did for S78 and fortunately for today we didn't. It sure was a gamble from Bob to play six small in R6 but unfortunately it wasn't that difficult for a Final and failed to pay off as Martin had the same solution. Only R14 was genuinely a hard one.

Conundrum: Not too bad for a start. Was rooting for either one to get it as both are strong in this aspect. Bob would've beaten me to the buzzer on this occasion though...

Overall, it turned out to be a fun episode and definitely not the scenario where I would've expected a thrashing. This episode is also the first in the whole series where the combined score is above 200 and of course, this barely made the cut! I predicted Martin would win by around 40 points and in the end, the margin was only 29 points. Well done Bob, you fought back where you could and I'm sorry to see you go. :(

Up tomorrow for QF2, it's "Nearly crashed out in the 7th Heat" Martin Daysley vs "Director on the Red Carpet and Son of an Actor" Adam Rolston, let's see whether fame is a factor or not. 8-)

Progress:
QF1 (13 December): Martin May (#1) vs Bob Lunt (#9) (115 - 86)
QF2 (14 December): Mike Daysley (#2) vs Adam Rolston (#8)
QF3 (17 December): Andrew Jackson (#3) vs Alan Duval (#7)
QF4 (18 December): Dave Ashton (#5) vs Tony Manwani (#6)
SF1 (19 December): Martin May (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (20 December): (QF2 Winner) vs (QF3 Winner)
GF (21 December): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Martin was on very fine form today, did think that was his best showing so far. Commiserations to Bob, who did do a very good job today, and was unfortunate to come across as #8 seed, as he is better than a few players above him. In honesty, I think Bob deserves a spot in the talented "Non-Apterite" feature on here. It was an 11-8 max game, so losing on 8 is a bit unfortunate, but it is the finals and it would have been a shame not to see Bob's display in the finals. In R1, I was inclined to believe that he had longer but was playing safe, and that he had the 9, but as Martin seemed a tad unsure, I think he played it safe. Had he chosen it, it would have been a double century game, defying what many believed would be a thrashing on here. Martin very much looking like he can lift the RW Trophy come the 21st......
Mike Daysley
Series 79 Champion

Post by Mike Daysley »

Ryan Lam wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm Before I get on with the review, I do have to mention this: Not crediting Robin Johnson for qualifying and being unable to make it plus claiming that Bob is naturally the #8 seed irked me. :?

(P.S. To those on the Daily Chat, sorry for asking the spoiler above during the Anecdote as I crashed in late due to "you know why"...and please don't ask it here as it's not a pleasant reason I want to share both privately and publicly)

Letters: Martin absolutely delivered the killer from the top with VERSIONAL, and Bob was pretty much finished even before we got to the first TTT. Another good spot from him was ALIASES although tbf, I give credit to Bob for spotting FLANGES.

Numbers: I hope we're not going to get insanely easy Numbers Rounds like what we did for S78 and fortunately for today we didn't. It sure was a gamble from Bob to play six small in R6 but unfortunately it wasn't that difficult for a Final and failed to pay off as Martin had the same solution. Only R14 was genuinely a hard one.

Conundrum: Not too bad for a start. Was rooting for either one to get it as both are strong in this aspect. Bob would've beaten me to the buzzer on this occasion though...

Overall, it turned out to be a fun episode and definitely not the scenario where I would've expected a thrashing. This episode is also the first in the whole series where the combined score is above 200 and of course, this barely made the cut! I predicted Martin would win by around 40 points and in the end, the margin was only 29 points. Well done Bob, you fought back where you could and I'm sorry to see you go. :(

Up tomorrow for QF2, it's "Nearly crashed out in the 7th Heat" Martin Daysley vs "Director on the Red Carpet and Son of an Actor" Adam Rolston, let's see whether fame is a factor or not. 8-)

Progress:
Dude that is the worst nickname I've ever had (maybe) πŸ˜‚. Great review though, love how up to date this site is kept.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Mike Daysley wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:15 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm Before I get on with the review, I do have to mention this: Not crediting Robin Johnson for qualifying and being unable to make it plus claiming that Bob is naturally the #8 seed irked me. :?

Progress:
Dude that is the worst nickname I've ever had (maybe) πŸ˜‚. Great review though, love how up to date this site is kept.
Hi Mike, welcome, hope you enjoy it here- enjoyed watching your 8 very consistent games and look forward to seeing what you and Adam have in store tomorrow :)
Mike Daysley
Series 79 Champion

Post by Mike Daysley »

Thank you Tom, the nickname is right though I thought I was a goner against Lee
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Very good first QF. Bob was not at all thrashed in my opinion. Big woulda lost had he got the 9 which I hope is some consolation in him not spotting it. Well done though Martin. Can't wait for your semi. Welcome to the site mike. Good luck for tomorrow. Course you've known for about 2 months.

R1: Versional
R2: Ration
R3: Same way
R4: Tails
R5: Nodders
R6: Same way
R7: Sails
R8: Posed. Though my mother spotted exodus
R9: Same as bob.
R10: Bisect
R11: Tagged
R12: Glares
R13: Winker
R14: 982 Bob's way but I declared it 983 by accident.
R15: Never heard that word in my life. Well done on getting it bobπŸ‘
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Owen Carroll wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 pm Very good first QF. Bob was not at all thrashed in my opinion. Big woulda lost had he got the 9 which I hope is some consolation in him not spotting it. Well done though Martin. Can't wait for your semi. Welcome to the site mike. Good luck for tomorrow. Course you've known for about 2 months.

I reckon Bob did have it as he said that he'd "stick with an 8", implying that he may have had longer. Also given that Aversion is quite a similar word to Versional, I'd assume that he saw it but chose not to risk it, given that I felt that Martin may have not been 100% confident on it either, though I may be wrong.....
Martin May

Post by Martin May »

Owen Carroll wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 pm Very good first QF. Bob was not at all thrashed in my opinion. Big woulda lost had he got the 9 which I hope is some consolation in him not spotting it. Well done though Martin. Can't wait for your semi. Welcome to the site mike. Good luck for tomorrow. Course you've known for about 2 months.

I hope many more are as excited for my semi as you are Owen πŸ˜…
Martin May

Post by Martin May »

I think Bob had it written down too but I’m guessing he thought it too risky to start off with, especially given the possibility of being down after 1 round is quite a daunting prospect.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:53 pm

I reckon Bob did have it as he said that he'd "stick with an 8", implying that he may have had longer. Also given that Aversion is quite a similar word to Versional, I'd assume that he saw it but chose not to risk it, given that I felt that Martin may have not been 100% confident on it either, though I may be wrong.....
Yeah I thought bob had it as well. What I meant was that it's lucky that not having that 9 wasn't consequential
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Martin May wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 pm

I hope many more are as excited for my semi as you are Owen πŸ˜…
Me too Martin but they'd be hard pressed to be more excited than meπŸ˜‚
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Owen Carroll wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:35 pmhard pressed
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 pm Martin was on very fine form today, did think that was his best showing so far. Commiserations to Bob, who did do a very good job today
I thought it was a very good game too by both players.

But as for Martin's best game? Well, being picky I thought that 983 was pretty gettable to be honest!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 am
Tom S wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 pm Martin was on very fine form today, did think that was his best showing so far. Commiserations to Bob, who did do a very good job today
I thought it was a very good game too by both players.

But as for Martin's best game? Well, being picky I thought that 983 was pretty gettable to be honest!
Aye, he defo overcomplicated that. Mind you apart from that minor blip he played exceptionally and I imagine beat a good number of the people who were watching.

As you can tell, I'm just catching up with the episodes...
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

I'm a bit behind too, hence the late comment.

In the past when people haven't been able to return they haven't normally mentioned it.

It probably depends on why the person can't return.

Annie H was the exception, so presumably her reason for having to delay was something that she couldn't have foreseen at the time she recorded her earlier programmes.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I looked up some of the names of swingers and ringers mentioned in the guest anecdote.

Jeffrey Allan Maggert
George Walter "Bunky" Henry Jr (sadly passed away in August)
Barkevious Levon "Keke" Mingo

The last of these is an American footballer. And it would appear that Barkevious Mingo is his real name.