Spoilers for 9th July 2018

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers for 9th July 2018

Post by Tom S »

I do actually think Lewis is playing his best atm, despite the invalid words, which have been quite feasible, but Kieran is fighting back, so we could be onto an interesting climax!
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for 9th July 2018

Post by Ryan Lam »

Tom S wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm I do actually think Lewis is playing his best atm, despite the invalid words, which have been quite feasible, but Kieran is fighting back, so we could be onto an interesting climax!
It's Ciaran btw...and sorry to spoil you but it was a DISAPPOINTING climax...

I got the Crucial Conundrum at the same time Ciaran buzzed in but I had the correct answer. Guess what did Smarty Pie (Sorry but no offence really) Lewis did even though Nick Hewer said "Take your time", buzzed in shortly after with INTEGRATE...uh what am I supposed to say here...I literally facepalmed at that moment. :? Seriously even though you won already by that point, you do know if you want a shot in the Finals you need to score as high as possible?

(P.S. For those on the Daily Chat I am sorry to announce and I forgot to inform everyone that there's a shipment of goods and furniture arriving at my house, thus I have to help with the unpacking and as a result, I will NOT be on for the rest of this week. Hopefully, if I can do it fast I should be back on Friday but if not, you'll have to wait. All episodes this week were recorded on Wednesday, 04 April 2018 for your info.)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Tom S wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm I do actually think Lewis is playing his best atm, despite the invalid words, which have been quite feasible, but Kieran is fighting back, so we could be onto an interesting climax!

I got the Crucial Conundrum at the same time Ciaran buzzed in but I had the correct answer. Guess what did Smarty Pie (Sorry but no offence really) Lewis did even though Nick Hewer said "Take your time", buzzed in shortly after with INTEGRATE...uh what am I supposed to say here...I literally facepalmed at that moment. :? Seriously even though you won already by that point, you do know if you want a shot in the Finals you need to score as high as possible?

Maybe Lewis thought it was spelt Intigrate. I made the comment because his numbers had improved, and I thought LOWLIFE was a good spot. I have tried Oversing/sang many times before and think it will be in the dictionary soon enough....
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Are you aware how much of a sneering twat you sound in a lot of your posts on here?

If you are, just keep doing you by all means, but if not, I thought you might like to know.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Are you aware how much of a sneering twat you sound in a lot of your posts on here?

If you are, just keep doing you by all means, but if not, I thought you might like to know.
Here here
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm Are you aware how much of a sneering twat you sound in a lot of your posts on here?

I'm aware when I'm typing this. I know I may sound very mean and insulting people that I don't personally know, and yes, I know I could have rephrased my sentencing for some of my posts (I'm sure you know which ones by now) and I do really sincerely apologise for my language at times so to call me that is justified in some sense. Furthermore, for a Series Champion to say that just leaves me red-faced and embarrassed to the point I nearly suffered a mental breakdown. :oops:

Just to clarify, what I meant was that Lewis should have made use of all the time he had left to figure out the answer but judging by the way he pressed so fast, I assumed (and bear in mind this is my opinion and if yours is not the same it's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion so long as it's not off-topic) he just took off the -ING at the back. I had another look at the recording a few hours ago when I woke up this morning and yes, one could easily mistake it as INTEGRATE. However, if you have all the time in the world, make full use of it!

I really hope we can put this aside. If I have directly or indirectly sneered at anyone, be it on Apterous or here in the Forum, I really apologise and none of my comments should be taken seriously. And to Zarte, I'm sorry. :(
Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 pm Here here
You do know that posts like these don't help in the discussion at all and only add fuel to the fire?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 am
Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm Are you aware how much of a sneering twat you sound in a lot of your posts on here?

I'm aware when I'm typing this. I know I may sound very mean and insulting people that I don't personally know, and yes, I know I could have rephrased my sentencing for some of my posts (I'm sure you know which ones by now) and I do really sincerely apologise for my language at times so to call me that is justified in some sense. Furthermore, for a Series Champion to say that just leaves me red-faced and embarrassed to the point I nearly suffered a mental breakdown. :oops:

Just to clarify, what I meant was that Lewis should have made use of all the time he had left to figure out the answer but judging by the way he pressed so fast, I assumed (and bear in mind this is my opinion and if yours is not the same it's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion so long as it's not off-topic) he just took off the -ING at the back. I had another look at the recording a few hours ago when I woke up this morning and yes, one could easily mistake it as INTEGRATE. However, if you have all the time in the world, make full use of it!

I really hope we can put this aside. If I have directly or indirectly sneered at anyone, be it on Apterous or here in the Forum, I really apologise and none of my comments should be taken seriously. And to Zarte, I'm sorry. :(
You do know that posts like these don't help in the discussion at all and only add fuel to the fire?
Sorry Ryan. It's not a problem with you, it's me.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:56 am

Sorry Ryan. It's not a problem with you, it's me. I can be sensitive at times
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:56 am

Sorry Ryan. It's not a problem with you, it's me. I can be sensitive at times. And an asshole.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 am Just to clarify, what I meant was that Lewis should have made use of all the time he had left to figure out the answer but judging by the way he pressed so fast, I assumed (and bear in mind this is my opinion and if yours is not the same it's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion so long as it's not off-topic) he just took off the -ING at the back. I had another look at the recording a few hours ago when I woke up this morning and yes, one could easily mistake it as INTEGRATE. However, if you have all the time in the world, make full use of it!
And this would have been a perfectly acceptable way to put it, however:

a) integrate is not the world's easiest word to spell. If you weren't sure, spelling it with the i would be perfectly plausible - especially if you think your opponent only made a slight mistake

b) It is vastly more difficult to make sensible decisions when you're sat in that chair. No-one who has only sat gurning from the sidelines can compute that. Every single person who has sat in that seat has done things that has made them go "Why did I just do that?"

c) To insinuate that someone wouldn't be familiar with the object of the game, even glibly is stupid. There are a handful of players who really do seem like morons who cheated the audition and deserved to be mocked, but generally everyone is trying, and everyone is doing what they think is the right thing to do whether it's fudging a numbers they think they might have got but aren't sure, buzzing on a conundrum they're not sure of cos they're worried about overthinking it or as Lewis seems to enjoy trying iffy words, but that can all be covered either by point b or by point d...:

d) ...that maybe they're just there to have fun? Fine we may nearly all be dedicated weirdos who want to better our play on a constant basis until we've learnt every word in the dictionary, but for so many people just sitting in the chair once is for an adrenalin buzz, or to knock something off of their bucket list, or to meet Susie. They may well have extravagant social lives, families, difficult jobs, degrees to focus on... they didn't apply to have someone without an iota of empathy sneer without nuance at them on a forum they could realistically see if they wanted to get more involved in the community if they were told about it post-filming.

I have no issue with querying, of discussing the merits of tactics, even of gentle ribbing of genuine "D'oh" moments. But your comments are regularly unhealthy and would put several people reading the forums off of getting on board with us on Apterous or FOCAL if they came looking and thought they'd have to deal with more attitudes like yours.

Not going to get into an extended thing on this now, I've said my bit, you can do with it what you will.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 am
but generally everyone is trying, and everyone is doing what they think is the right thing to do whether it's fudging a numbers they think they might have got but aren't sure, buzzing on a conundrum they're not sure of cos they're worried about overthinking it or as Lewis seems to enjoy trying iffy words...

...that maybe they're just there to have fun? Fine we may nearly all be dedicated weirdos who want to better our play on a constant basis until we've learnt every word in the dictionary, but for so many people just sitting in the chair once is for an adrenalin buzz, or to knock something off of their bucket list, or to meet Susie. They may well have extravagant social lives, families, difficult jobs, degrees to focus on... they didn't apply to have someone without an iota of empathy sneer without nuance at them on a forum they could realistically see if they wanted to get more involved in the community if they were told about it post-filming.

I have no issue with querying, of discussing the merits of tactics, even of gentle ribbing of genuine "D'oh" moments. But your comments are regularly unhealthy and would put several people reading the forums off of getting on board with us on Apterous or FOCAL if they came looking and thought they'd have to deal with more attitudes like yours.

Not going to get into an extended thing on this now, I've said my bit, you can do with it what you will.
I know some people are genuinely out there to have fun, one of them that I know is Jan Pask who went against you in the Quarter-Finals. Yes, you've put me to shame with what you said, I'm sure there are many potentials out there wanting to join and I acknowledge my language sometimes can be harsh and like you said, unhealthy and I put visitors and maybe even regular users off as a result. And yes, I'm just pure stupid to have posted that alone. :oops:

Once again, I apologise to everyone whom I've offended or insinuated and angered. I really hope you don't hold a vengeance/ grudge against me or block me because of all this and I hope you can forgive me. :cry:

Alright let's move on before we get too off-topic...

(P.S. Even if people do cheat in the Auditions, of the many contestants I've seen in the five years I've watched the show, I can tell none of them have. Unless you're talking about the 8 Out of 10 Cats Version then it's a different story but we'll save it for another day.)
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Talking of iffy words, I had buxomest in the first round but seems like I can't have it. Hmmm.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 am
d) ...that maybe they're just there to have fun? Fine we may nearly all be dedicated weirdos who want to better our play on a constant basis until we've learnt every word in the dictionary, but for so many people just sitting in the chair once is for an adrenalin buzz, or to knock something off of their bucket list, or to meet Susie. They may well have extravagant social lives, families, difficult jobs, degrees to focus on... they didn't apply to have someone without an iota of empathy sneer without nuance at them on a forum they could realistically see if they wanted to get more involved in the community if they were told about it post-filming.
Really well said point this. It's so easy as well practised apterites to get a bit obsessed over really pushing the limits on the show breaking records, winning...but what is sometimes forgotten is that not everyone cares about that. Your average contestant really is just there for the experience whether they score 10, 50 or 150, win one game or win the series. It's fine for people to take the game quite seriously, as I myself kind of do, but at the same time we need to keep in mind that other people might not be as interested and they aren't going on thinking "well I need to average x per game to beat y score and not risk silly words so as to stand a better chance of achieving more maxes". I bet most contestants on the show aren't even aware of such things as what the highest octototal or whatever is, who achieved it and when because quite frankly they couldn't care.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Everyone's right. Some people are just going onto the show to have fun or cause they wanna win the series so badly. I'm going for octochampdom or finalist. You all make good points here and Ryan I'm sorry again that I wasn't helping matters last night. But don't take it personally. You seem like a great guy.