Spoilers for Tuesday 5th June 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 104)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Tuesday 5th June 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 104)

Post by Ray Wilding »

REPHRASE in R10.
Alex Smith

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 5th June 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 104)

Post by Alex Smith »

For Round 5, could you have URANOTIL?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Alex Smith wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 pm For Round 5, could you have URANOTIL?
Yup!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Today's challenger and I share the same passion (of sorts)...., the only difference is that he has done it.... :roll: :roll: :roll: http://wiki.apterous.org/Mick_Purdie
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm Today's challenger and I share the same passion (of sorts)...., the only difference is that he has done it.... :roll: :roll: :roll: http://wiki.apterous.org/Mick_Purdie
Interesting. Also, I saw that one of the lexicographers in his games was Hania Porucznik. I wasn't sure I recognised the name, but when I looked it up I found that someone of the same name does the Oxford parkrun!

And here is an old game with both of them in.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Well fingers crossed for Jan. But I dunno why nick makes it seem like she will be no.8 seed for defo cause mick or tomorrow's player can take it away from her.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Jan made my mistake of going for a consonant in R5 when a vowel would have given a 9. xD
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

I had no idea Mick was on previously...Nick didn't even mention it, unlike John Owens if you can remember earlier in the Series where he mentioned the fact he was on before! And I've uploaded photos for comparison...seems like Mick hasn't really aged in 21 years! :) John and Anthony Jenkin, another contestant who appeared before sadly have aged quite a bit I must admit...

Alternative for Round 6 (Which is slightly easier): (6 x 100) - (6 x 4) + 5
Alternative for Round 14 if you want to use all the Numbers: (50 - (7 - 3)) x 10 + (8 ÷ 2)
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm Well fingers crossed for Jan. But I dunno why nick makes it seem like she will be no.8 seed for defo cause mick or tomorrow's player can take it away from her.
As for Owen's Point, I have to admit at this point with six episodes left, you're right anything can happen. It's very hard to predict, just like how last year in the Final Preliminary of Series 77 Chris Weldon lost to Roger Springthorpe, I was so hoping the former would end up as an Octochamp and in the Finals of this Series but it never happened. However, looking at the filming schedule, the last five Prelims were filmed on 12 March 2018, some 13 days after the recordings with Pam Ayres on 27 February.

If Mick is inconsistent come Thursday's episode and eventually loses before 13 June, Jan's fate will be sealed.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm
James Robinson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm Today's challenger and I share the same passion (of sorts)...., the only difference is that he has done it.... :roll: :roll: :roll: http://wiki.apterous.org/Mick_Purdie
Interesting. Also, I saw that one of the lexicographers in his games was Hania Porucznik. I wasn't sure I recognised the name, but when I looked it up I found that someone of the same name does the Oxford parkrun!

Just watched and enjoyed that match, thanks :-)
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 pm

As for Owen's Point, I have to admit at this point with six episodes left, you're right anything can happen. It's very hard to predict, just like how last year in the Final Preliminary of Series 77 Chris Weldon lost to Roger Springthorpe, I was so hoping the former would end up as an Octochamp and in the Finals of this Series but it never happened. However, looking at the filming schedule, the last five Prelims were filmed on 12 March 2018, some 13 days after the recordings with Pam Ayres on 27 February.

If Mick is inconsistent come Thursday's episode and eventually loses before 13 June, Jan's fate will be sealed.
So if Mick is still champion going into next Wednesday's programme and it goes to a crucial conundrum ...... :-)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 pm I had no idea Mick was on previously...Nick didn't even mention it, unlike John Owens if you can remember earlier in the Series where he mentioned the fact he was on before! And I've uploaded photos for comparison...seems like Mick hasn't really aged in 21 years! :) John and Anthony Jenkin, another contestant who appeared before sadly have aged quite a bit I must admit...

Alternative for Round 6 (Which is slightly easier): (6 x 100) - (6 x 4) + 5
Alternative for Round 14 if you want to use all the Numbers: (50 - (7 - 3)) x 10 + (8 ÷ 2)
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm Well fingers crossed for Jan. But I dunno why nick makes it seem like she will be no.8 seed for defo cause mick or tomorrow's player can take it away from her.

Is it not before 11th or 12th of June? Cause remember if mick gets 5 wins but a higher score than Jan and loses the 6th on the 12th, he can still be in the finals right? But if he wins the next six he'd have to carry on to s79 and Jan would keep her 8th seed position right? I apologise for who I'm confusing.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 am
Is it not before 11th or 12th of June? Cause remember if mick gets 5 wins but a higher score than Jan and loses the 6th on the 12th, he can still be in the finals right? But if he wins the next six he'd have to carry on to s79 and Jan would keep her 8th seed position right? I apologise for who I'm confusing.
Yes, if on 11 June Mick WINS with more points with Jan BUT loses on 12 or 13 June, Mick will be in the Finals instead. If he goes on winning all the way to 13 June, then he will carry on which is what you've said. Like I said, come this Thursday's episode, 7 June, which was filmed 13 days after Wednesday's episode, 6 June, if MIck shows inconsistency in his performance he might be in trouble...

(P.S. You might want only want to keep the relevant part of my post in the Quote next time. You can delete the irrelevant parts so that I won't have to waste time reading through.)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 am
Yes, if on 11 June Mick WINS with more points with Jan BUT loses on 12 or 13 June, Mick will be in the Finals instead. If he goes on winning all the way to 13 June, then he will carry on which is what you've said. Like I said, come this Thursday's episode, 7 June, which was filmed 13 days after Wednesday's episode, 6 June, if MIck shows inconsistency in his performance he might be in trouble...

(P.S. You might want only want to keep the relevant part of my post in the Quote next time. You can delete the irrelevant parts so that I won't have to waste time reading through.)
Cool. Thanks.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Cool. Thanks.
Just for the record if Katrina had won 5 games but lost the 6th (the final heat) she could have overtaken Jan as no.8 seed if she also had more points. That's all I have to say
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Cool. Thanks.
Just for the record if Katrina had won 5 games but lost the 6th (the final heat) she could have overtaken Jan as no.8 seed if she also had more points. That's all I have to say. You know, the woman from today
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip Wilson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 pm

By the way, if you do Philip Franks's puzzle properly it's impossible - using the numbers 1 to 9 to add up to 100. If you just add up the numbers 1 to 9, you get 45 (a multiple of 9). But then you can use a number, x, in the tens column instead of the units then you are adding 10x-x to your total, which is 9x. So you're always going to end up with a multiple of 9. Philip Franks was just trying look clever by cheating at his own puzzle!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Philip Wilson wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 pm

By the way, if you do Philip Franks's puzzle properly it's impossible - using the numbers 1 to 9 to add up to 100. If you just add up the numbers 1 to 9, you get 45 (a multiple of 9). But then you can use a number, x, in the tens column instead of the units then you are adding 10x-x to your total, which is 9x. So you're always going to end up with a multiple of 9. Philip Franks was just trying look clever by cheating at his own puzzle!
Yes indeed. If you have to cheat to solve it you should at least say so in the instructions!