Spoilers for Friday 2nd February 2018 Series 78 Prelim 19

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

George Pryn
Acolyte

Spoilers for Friday 2nd February 2018 Series 78 Prelim 19

Post by George Pryn »

Who will win?

Who knows
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd February 2018 Series 78 Prelim 19

Post by Ray Wilding »

MISDOERS in R11
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

How rare it is for someone who is not of British Origin to be a contestant on the show, and the last place you'd probably expect...Norway! I really have to applaud Lena's effort and she truely is a fan of the show having watched and played along since 2010...

I really pity her...she probably suffered mentally because of her ORNATELY declaration gone wrong...but still RAINOUTS was an excellent word, no one got it in the Daily Duel back in January on Apterous!

Hopefully we can have more people like her on the show sometime in the near future! :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:59 pm How rare it is for someone who is not of British Origin to be a contestant on the show, and the last place you'd probably expect...Norway!
Actually, based on geographic proximity alone, Norway is one of the first (non-British/Irish) places I'd expect a Countdowner to be from... :p But still, good on Lena for playing and she got quite close to a comeback at the end!

BEHOLDS as an alt to BOLDEST etc., and PLAGUER as a third anagram of EARPLUG/GRAUPEL, but I believe MISDOERS/SIDERISM was today's only beater.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:59 pm How rare it is for someone who is not of British Origin to be a contestant on the show, and the last place you'd probably expect...Norway! I really have to applaud Lena's effort and she truely is a fan of the show having watched and played along since 2010...

I really pity her...she probably suffered mentally because of her ORNATELY declaration gone wrong...but still RAINOUTS was an excellent word, no one got it in the Daily Duel back in January on Apterous!

Hopefully we can have more people like her on the show sometime in the near future! :)
Big kudos to Lena- despite the fact that English isn't her native tongue, she gave a performance which is better than many we've seen before who do have English as their native tongue. Just a pity on some of the errors she made. WAPITIS and LEGUMES nice spots from David too, though I'm still convinced he won't last long....
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I guess the most relevant example to provide her is Samir who made it to the last CoC despite being from Croatia (I think Croatia...), so it's not totally unheard of or without higher precedent, but that's not to undermine Friday's challenge.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm I guess the most relevant example to provide her is Samir who made it to the last CoC despite being from Croatia (I think Croatia...), so it's not totally unheard of or without higher precedent, but that's not to undermine Friday's challenge.
Samir was the first person who came to mind regarding foreign contestants, and even if English was his first language, then he would have been deemed as a very good player, so the fact that it wasn't his mother tongue was extremely impressive.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

As no one has done one for the 5th, I will put this here.
The second numbers game was cringy, I think Nick was harsh and then stopped short of suggesting the chap may be cheating.He probably was having a senior moment
Please move this to Mondays spoiler if any of you can
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT