Spoilers For Monday June 20th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday June 20th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, now that the horse racing is done, it's time to get back to the real action, and the final stages of Series 74. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Having been in the audience for these matches, along with a good lot of other high-profile Apterites, I can tell you that you're in for a treat this week :!: :!: :!:

First up today, is the 3rd quarter-final to see who will play Robin in Thursday's 2nd semi-final. We have the #3 seed, Ann "The Haselmere Hazard" Dibben, who should've been taking on the #6 seed, Dave Costello, but somehow, Dave's tiebreak conundrum points have been added to his score, which sees him go into the #5 slot, so Ann will instead be playing Tim "The Leamington Spa Lancer" Down.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, No.3 Seed Ann "The Haslemere Hazard" Dibben - 8 Wins, 884 Points. (Average: 110.5)
Highest Score: 128 vs. Nick Ferguson (8th Game)
Lowest Score: 99 vs. John Billitteri (3rd Game)
9's Achieved: 6/9
Total Points/Max/%: 884/1069 (83%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 567/678 (84%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 257/311 (83%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/80 (75%)

Secondly, No.6 Seed Tim "The Leamington Spa Lancer" Down - 8 Wins, 717 Points. (Average: 89.63)
Highest Score: 105 vs. Colin Tuite (8th Game)
Lowest Score: 78 vs. Nicholas Birks (2nd Game) and David E Coote (7th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/5
Total Points/Max/%: 717/1047 (68%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 444/647 (69%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 243/320 (76%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 30/80 (38%)

We also welcome back Dr Phil Hammond in DC for the duration of the week.

Join Sean later on for the recap. ;) :) :D

YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Re: Spoilers For Monday June 20th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Superb game, best of the series so far. Very well done both :)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Cracking game - well done to both.

Which of the apterites/forumites in the audience shouted "yes" on the conundrum solve? Mr R possibly?

Anyone get the beaters in R4 and R5?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I... I am speechless. This was what a member of the forum once referred to as "liquid Countdown". An almighty Apto-battle on the big screen. Congratulations to Ann and very unlucky to Tim on being 1.25 seconds away from advancing.
Tony Atkins wrote:Anyone get the beaters in R4 and R5?
Is this a trick question? There weren't any.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't know if I fell asleep (which I doubt because this was a game to keep you awake), but did Phil Hammond have a slot today? It's normally after the second numbers isn't it?

Anyway, great game - maybe somewhat spoilt by someone saying beforehand that they thought it was the best quarter final ever!
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't know if I fell asleep (which I doubt because this was a game to keep you awake), but did Phil Hammond have a slot today? It's normally after the second numbers isn't it?

Anyway, great game - maybe somewhat spoilt by someone saying beforehand that they thought it was the best quarter final ever!
He used his slots all week to support junior doctors. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of them are cut.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

James Robinson wrote: Secondly, No.6 Seed Tim "The Leamington Spa Lancer" Down - 8 Wins, 717 Points. (Average: 89.63)
I initially misread this as "The Leamington Lap Dancer". Also, not Tim "The Count" Down??
James Robinson wrote: Conundrum Points/Max/%: 20/80 (25%)
I've tried to let this go and I'll probably wish I hadn't posted this but... I got three conundrums during my run. Still not great, I admit.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Tim Down wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't know if I fell asleep (which I doubt because this was a game to keep you awake), but did Phil Hammond have a slot today? It's normally after the second numbers isn't it?

He used his slots all week to support junior doctors. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of them are cut.
When I saw the one from today especially, I thought it was very overtly political and was surprised they let him say that stuff. Even though it was a really excellent piece and very well delivered as usual from him.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Just finished watching this game. That was possibly one of the best games in ages!! Ann made a brave decision and did an excellent conundrum solve. Tim was on brilliant form too! Huge congratulations for Ann and very bad luck to Tim. There was some excellent team spirit there too!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tim Down wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Secondly, No.6 Seed Tim "The Leamington Spa Lancer" Down - 8 Wins, 717 Points. (Average: 89.63)
I initially misread this as "The Leamington Lap Dancer". Also, not Tim "The Count" Down??
James Robinson wrote: Conundrum Points/Max/%: 20/80 (25%)
I've tried to let this go and I'll probably wish I hadn't posted this but... I got three conundrums during my run. Still not great, I admit.
Just altered it now. Doing these things at midnight can make you miss things...
Tony Atkins wrote:Cracking game - well done to both.

Which of the apterites/forumites in the audience shouted "yes" on the conundrum solve? Mr R possibly?
I think it was, I do remember me doing what I usually do when I watch it at home and quietly did the countdown from 10 seconds quietly and once I saw Ann's face when she buzzed, I knew she got it.

All of us in the Apterites row just celebrated there and then, although mine was clearly the most audible. :P

It was an absolute pleasure to be there, and I certainly still maintain it to be the best series quarterfinal EVER :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Someone has probably built a database that can answer this question: After this week, Dr. Phil will have made 111 appearances in Dictionary Corner. Will he be the DC guest with the second-highest number of appearances (behind Gyles Brandreth)?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Someone has probably built a database that can answer this question: After this week, Dr. Phil will have made 111 appearances in Dictionary Corner. Will he be the DC guest with the second-highest number of appearances (behind Gyles Brandreth)?
Richard Stilgoe has 239 (including 5 specials), Nigel Rees has 184, Philip Franks has 176, Richard Digance has 168, Geoffrey Durham has 165 (including 5 specials), Martin Jarvis has 152, Jan Harvey has 134, Tom O'Connor has 121, Bill Tidy has 117.

So, that makes Dr Phil 11th in my books. :P :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Tim Down wrote:

Looks like I totally misremembered this.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Incredible game and a real testament to Ann's mental strength to come through this and get the conundrum. I instantly regretted being in the local Salford department store for the morning and missing this classic...

Tim also showed how incredibly well he'd come on from his octorun to push Ann so hard and come within 2 seconds of the win.