Spoilers for Tuesday 7 June 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 83)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday 7 June 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 83)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Why exactly do they televise Rachel saying "I'll have another look" for unsolved numbers games when the editors/producers know very well she isn't going to follow up on them in any way? I'm baffled.

ROULADE as a beater in the LOADER/RELOAD round.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 7 June 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 83)

Post by Ray Wilding »

METATARSI in round 10
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Why exactly do they televise Rachel saying "I'll have another look" for unsolved numbers games when the editors/producers know very well she isn't going to follow up on them in any way? I'm baffled.

She normally has a go, I've seen her with the clipboard in the filming breaks in the past trying to find it.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Laverty wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Why exactly do they televise Rachel saying "I'll have another look" for unsolved numbers games when the editors/producers know very well she isn't going to follow up on them in any way? I'm baffled.

She normally has a go, I've seen her with the clipboard in the filming breaks in the past trying to find it.
I figured she would be doing some number crunching offscreen, but I still think it's kind of counterintuitive for them to not edit out those comments if they knew she wouldn't eventually find a solution and put it on the board. To be fair, though, I'm biased because I know the majority of Countdown viewers aren't trying to record full recaps while the show is broadcasting.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Oh, and to use a Robbo-ism, WAHEY! The finals lineup is now determined. (Again, I'm assuming that someone in one of the spoilers threads would have warned us long ago if one of the expected finalists wasn't going to turn up.) Best of luck as ever to Paul, Robin, Ann, Conrad, Dave, Tim, Sean and Tony!
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Did anybody watch 15to1 beforehand. Eileen Taylor was one of the 15 contestants. The first of three possible visits :-)

Mauro
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I got MARTINS in one of the rounds. Not exactly an exciting story in itself, but if you look up MARTIN, it takes you here, and you have to use the plural to get the entry you need. The search function on this dictionary is proper shithouse.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

I had martians in that round but looks like they need a capital M. Anyone work out the 1st numbers? I give up! Oh and yeah, saw Eileen.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Since I mentioned Martians earlier needing a capital, I remember earthlike being ok a few episodes ago. Checking the definition it can apply to things relating to the planet as well as soil, and indeed I find earthman is ok with a small e. Now I'm confused!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Best of luck as ever to Paul, Robin, Ann, Conrad, Dave, Tim, Sean and Tony!
A logical impossibility.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

David Williams wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Best of luck as ever to Paul, Robin, Ann, Conrad, Dave, Tim, Sean and Tony!
A logical impossibility.
Wishing someone luck doesn't mean they'll get it.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Oh, and to use a Robbo-ism, WAHEY! The finals lineup is now determined. (Again, I'm assuming that someone in one of the spoilers threads would have warned us long ago if one of the expected finalists wasn't going to turn up.) Best of luck as ever to Paul, Robin, Ann, Conrad, Dave, Tim, Sean and Tony!
The finals line-up is definitely correct.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I'm still curious as to what they're going to do about David Edgar, who failed to qualify for the finals solely on the basis of having OUTRANG disallowed when it was really OK. He would still be at the studios for the finals as the "reserve" #9 contestant if there is one, but as Tim has mentioned (thanks, BTW), the finals lineup is already correct. Maybe they could rename the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy the David Edgar's Shot at Finals Memorial Trophy just this one time.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I'm still curious as to what they're going to do about David Edgar, who failed to qualify for the finals solely on the basis of having OUTRANG disallowed when it was really OK. He would still be at the studios for the finals as the "reserve" #9 contestant if there is one, but as Tim has mentioned (thanks, BTW), the finals lineup is already correct. Maybe they could rename the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy the David Edgar's Shot at Finals Memorial Trophy just this one time.
He was indeed there as reserve finalist. My view is that he was unlucky but once Susie's has made her ruling then that should be it, unless the producers later decide that an egregious error that affected the course of the game has been made and invite the contestant back for another crack (as in the case of James Hall a few years ago). Retrospectively fiddling the totals seems fudgy and wrong to me.