Spoilers for Tuesday 24 May 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 74)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday 24 May 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 74)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

On yesterday's show, Apterite Robin McKay rounded off the first half of what we can only assume will be a magnificent octorun. Today is also a landmark day for Robin as if he wins with at least 93 points, he will be a confirmed finals qualifier. Join Tim Down for the recap later to see whether he can secure the spot.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 24 May 2016 (Series 74, Prelim 74)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

In the HOARIEST round, Lexplorer gives THEORIKAS as a 9, but it seems to be one of those junked variant spellings. However, if it were to have been kept, the max for the show would be 166 -- the highest so far in this format and second highest ever. Can someone please confirm for me that THEORIKAS is, in fact, an ex-word? And should I mention the potential 166 max as a factoid anywhere on the wiki?

Much Simpler 1st Numbers Alt.: (3 + 1) * 7 * 25 - 10 - 2
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Personally, I would rule that THEORIKA is the plural of THEORIKON, and so can't be pluralised itself. I don't know how Susie would do it though.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ray Wilding wrote:Personally, I would rule that THEORIKA is the plural of THEORIKON, and so can't be pluralised itself. I don't know how Susie would do it though.
Ah thanks for that tip, never would have thought to look up the -ON form. In the entry for THEORIKON, "'also' THEORIKA" is listed, but I think we ran into some other cases where plurals were listed as "also"s for their singular forms. Will leave it as is for now as I would agree that Susie would rule against the doubly-pluralised version.
Rob McKay
Rookie

Post by Rob McKay »

Johnny Canuck wrote:On yesterday's show, Apterite Robin McKay rounded off the first half of what we can only assume will be a magnificent octorun. Today is also a landmark day for Robin as if he wins with at least 93 points, he will be a confirmed finals qualifier. Join Tim Down for the recap later to see whether he can secure the spot.
Thx Johnny
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Ray Wilding wrote:Personally, I would rule that THEORIKA is the plural of THEORIKON, and so can't be pluralised itself. I don't know how Susie would do it though.
Ah thanks for that tip, never would have thought to look up the -ON form. In the entry for THEORIKON, "'also' THEORIKA" is listed, but I think we ran into some other cases where plurals were listed as "also"s for their singular forms. Will leave it as is for now as I would agree that Susie would rule against the doubly-pluralised version.
Yeah, it's listed as a singular, so it should be allowed going by the dictionary. And we should really go by the dictionary even if the dictionary is "wrong". So assuming you've added everything up properly, I'm saying it's a max of 166.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote:And we should really go by the dictionary even if the dictionary is "wrong".
Is this the universal standard used by Susie / the decision-makers on the show, though?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:And we should really go by the dictionary even if the dictionary is "wrong".
Is this the universal standard used by Susie / the decision-makers on the show, though?
I think you should know by now that there isn't a universal standard on the show. We've just got to try and be consistent our end. By what criterion would it be disallowed? "If it looks like a dictionary error, then we won't allow it" is pretty much the only one that could cover it.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Screw it, you've swayed me. I'm re-adding THEORIKAS. Made the decision after I looked up one of the other inflected "also" forms that were discussed in Aptomail ("ALTERATE, also ALTERATED") and discovered that ALTERATEDED had in fact been added to aptodic. I had previously thought the decision had been to exclude it, but it seems I simply misremembered it wrong.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Is 8 points a new record?
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Screw it, you've swayed me. I'm re-adding THEORIKAS. Made the decision after I looked up one of the other inflected "also" forms that were discussed in Aptomail ("ALTERATE, also ALTERATED") and discovered that ALTERATEDED had in fact been added to aptodic. I had previously thought the decision had been to exclude it, but it seems I simply misremembered it wrong.
ALTERATEDED is obviously absurd. A rule that mandates its inclusion in the dictionary must therefore be deeply flawed. What's wrong with trying to exercise a little editorial control over the Apterous dictionary?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:Is 8 points a new record?
It's the lowest score by a male contestant in the new 15 round format.

The lowest by anyone is 6 by Wendy Cooke against Tracey in her octochamp game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Is 8 points a new record?
Julian Fell and Conor Travers both scored 146, but that was in the old 15-round format. I'm not sure what the record is in the new format. It might be 8.