Spoilers for Thursday 21 April 2016 (Series 74 Episode 57)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 21 April 2016 (Series 74 Episode 57)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tuned in at the very end of Round 1 and missed the order of the letters in the selection. Did anyone record it?

Anyways, best of luck to Ann, who has a shot at becoming an octochamp today, and judging from her performance so far, I'd say she's got a good chance.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 21 April 2016 (Series 74 Episode 57)

Post by Tony Atkins »

Nick Ferguson seems determined to get in the record books.

MARIMBA as an alt to BARMAID. And ELEGIST one of the possible 7s to FUGLIEST.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Congratulations Ann ! Absolutely brilliant throughout. So looking forward to the finals. WELL DONE !
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Very well done to Ann on becoming an octochamp, an excellent set of games there. :)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Yes well done indeed - shame that switch from 3L to 1L cost an even higher score!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Very weird beater available in the MARAUD/BARMAID round. It sounds like a self-deprecating expression regarding one's own intelligence.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
lee nixon

Post by lee nixon »

Great effort from Ann.The gap between a good apterite and someone who watches at home continues to widen
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

SULFITE in FUGLIEST round.

Another great performance by Ann, congratulations to her.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

How many meanings of DINGBAT are people here familiar with? It seems odd to me that Nick apparently knew only the "crazy person" meaning.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Stewart Gordon wrote:How many meanings of DINGBAT are people here familiar with? It seems odd to me that Nick apparently knew only the "crazy person" meaning.
I knew both meanings (crazy person and crazy Unicode character), but was surprised that the clue was basically just a dictionary definition/description of only the latter meaning; surely they could have incorporated both meanings by way of some kind of pun, as is typical in cryptic crosswords.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Stewart Gordon wrote:How many meanings of DINGBAT are people here familiar with? It seems odd to me that Nick apparently knew only the "crazy person" meaning.
I knew both meanings (crazy person and crazy Unicode character), but was surprised that the clue was basically just a dictionary definition/description of only the latter meaning; surely they could have incorporated both meanings by way of some kind of pun, as is typical in cryptic crosswords.
To me, a dingbat is a puzzle in which a graphic represents a word or phrase, similar to the show Catchphrase. I've also heard of it as a term for fancy symbols found in some fonts.

But I hadn't previously come across the term used for characters used to censor swear words (usually plain ASCII characters in my experience). What makes a Unicode character "crazy" exactly?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Stewart Gordon wrote:But I hadn't previously come across the term used for characters used to censor swear words (usually plain ASCII characters in my experience). What makes a Unicode character "crazy" exactly?
As an expert on all matters connected to typefaces (not actually true) I feel that I can give an authorative answer to this question.

Normal characters are those that you would expect to find on a standard QWERTY typewriter keyboard, such as:

A a 3 7 # > ( %

But crazy characters are different. Less crazy ones might appear on certain types of keyboard, but most are simply too crazy to be included.

Some of these crazy characters are below:

Æ ú Ķ Ə ɮ ʉ ʧ ʞ

Look at them and how crazy they are, with their funny hats and crossings-out and such! They’re so crazy, you just don’t know what they’ll do next!

There are other – even crazier – characters in existence, but I don’t want to totally blow your mind with their non-conformity.

Hope that clears everything up!