Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, it's the start of another new week, and are we possibly going to get ourselves our first female octochamp since our very own Tracey Mills back last January :? :?:

Well, Ann Dibben's certainly making a brilliant attempt at it. She's already halfway towards the Promised Land, and 4 more wins this week will see her reach her goal of octochampdom. I so hope she does it, and I'm sure lots of you do too. ;) :) :D

Hairy Biker Dave Myers is in DC up until Thursday, before Good Morning Britain's Charlotte Hawkins takes over on Friday.

Join Sean for the recap some while later...... :P
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers For Monday April 18th 2016

Post by Tony Atkins »

Lot's of 3L action - but not a standard method in sight! Ann needed to subtract the two ones before multiplying to make
the 213.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I tuned in just after the challenger was introduced by name. I think I got the correct spelling of the challenger's surname but I'm not positive. Was it Manuell? (Maxwell is my second guess.) I was watching intently but they never showed his nameplate big at any other time during the show.

4th Numbers Alt.: (100 + 2) * (10 - 2) - 50 / 5
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I thought Mannuel, but I was doing my ironing...
CO-MSO every August
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Pretty sure it had two Ls, so I'm putting Manuell on the wiki for now and will move it immediately if it's wrong.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

He is Ben Manuell on Facebook.
CO-MSO every August
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Not for the first time, Susie spoke about words like "gruntled", "kempt" and "couth".

It seems that "shevelled" always comes up in discussions of this nature. Susie gives it as an example of "where we think only the opposite exists". It puzzles me that these discussions seemingly always fail to even begin to address the question that underlies the inclusion of this purported example: Since when has "di" been an antonym prefix?

I certainly can't think of any words of which antonyms are formed by prepending "di". Can you think of any?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Stewart Gordon wrote:Not for the first time, Susie spoke about words like "gruntled", "kempt" and "couth".

It seems that "shevelled" always comes up in discussions of this nature. Susie gives it as an example of "where we think only the opposite exists". It puzzles me that these discussions seemingly always fail to even begin to address the question that underlies the inclusion of this purported example: Since when has "di" been an antonym prefix?

I certainly can't think of any words of which antonyms are formed by prepending "di". Can you think of any?
People see the "dis" and think of that even though that would make it dis-hevelled.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People see the "dis" and think of that even though that would make it dis-hevelled.
Maybe. But on this basis I ought to have come across at least one commentary that includes a comment to the effect of "If this were the opposite of anything, it would be 'hevelled'".