Spoilers for Wednesday 23rd March

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Laverty
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Wednesday 23rd March

Post by James Laverty »

It could be coronation day as our very own Conrad Teixiera/JJ Smith tries for an 8th win? Will he join the plethora of octochamps, or even as a member of the 800 club? Stay tuned to find out
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 23rd March

Post by Ray Wilding »

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done Conrad on becoming an octochamp, good set of games there. :)
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Well done on that one Conrad, definitely settled in nicely after lunch there.

At least a couple of other beaters around today.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Well done on becoming an Octochamp, Conrad, I reckon today's conundrum setter, noticed you could pass for a young David Blaine!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When I was at Co:Bris I was given a (non-consensual) spoiler that an Apterite called Conrad Teixeira would become an octochamp with 861 points, so I was expecting a record score of 179 today. But only 124??? (Well done, Conrad.)
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Thank you everybody!

It took me a day or so to realise I was in the 800 club. I never thought about being an octochamp until afterwards, let alone an octototal, I had prepared myself to lose the first game and went into every other game thinking about losing. Looking back I think I could have got a good few more points, but I have improved a lot in the month since I recorded.

124 is a really big score, there's much better players than me who never scored that high. And James Robinson said I was only 10pts off the max, so I felt like I must have had a lucky game. And I think that's true, because looking at it, even I could nearly have maxed this one, missing DOMAINE, OLEASTER, ORBITAL and INDICATE and a numbers. But it's still an okay game.

I think I seem more smug on TV because I know I'm not really that good, and to me getting words like DARIOLE, ADIPOSE, and RUMINATES isn't that impressive. Getting those common words is just a bit ridiculous to me, and RUMINATES is a pretty easy one to get. The couple I was actually proud of like APHID, CARBINE, I didn't react to, the stupid ones like PRONATE I smirked out of embarrassment. I am decent on the numbers but they're harder on the show, I had maybe one solution that was vaguely impressive. But I get how I look smug from a normal perspective.

https://twitter.com/BondageTime/status/ ... 6073498624

Does anyone else think I had quite a hard run? 6 of my opponents were quite decent, a couple could have beaten me with a little practice, or if I had a bad game like yesterday's one.

Also, with all my shows recorded in about 24 hours, am I the quickest Octochamp in history?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Well Conrad, since you've asked, I think you have had a pretty easy run! you've by your own admission been able to "play badly" at times and still win fairly comfortably.
Also, you have never had to face a "crucial" conundrum, so you've never been in any real danger of losing.
I'm not on Apterous, (only Touchy-Words!) and I was able to beat all your opponents easily!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Well Conrad, since you've asked, I think you have had a pretty easy run! you've by your own admission been able to "play badly" at times and still win fairly comfortably.
Also, you have never had to face a "crucial" conundrum, so you've never been in any real danger of losing.
I'm not on Apterous, (only Touchy-Words!) and I was able to beat all your opponents easily!
I wouldn't say he had a pretty easy run. If you compare his opponents to what you'd get on average, I think some were quite good.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

I would say your last game was the closest. Not perhaps by the final score but by how long it was before someone broke ahead.
I don't think you came across as smug, mainly because you didn't do one thing that some players have done in the past, which I think Is smug.
I had to see all your games before I knew this obviously, so that's why I couldn't say before!

The way you chatted with your opponents during the credits always goes down well with me too, so I wondered what happened with the last guy you played?
On a separate note, I noticed all the words offered by the contestants and dc used the Y when it appeared, yet there's still only one in the pack!
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Philip Wilson wrote:I would say your last game was the closest. Not perhaps by the final score but by how long it was before someone broke ahead.
I don't think you came across as smug, mainly because you didn't do one thing that some players have done in the past, which I think Is smug.
I had to see all your games before I knew this obviously, so that's why I couldn't say before!

The way you chatted with your opponents during the credits always goes down well with me too, so I wondered what happened with the last guy you played?
That was kind of funny, because after the game I started talking to him about something or other as normal, I probably told him he was my best opponent. Although he was generally a bit withdrawn for whatever reason. But then afterwards they made us reshoot the credits, so we both looked at each other wondering if we should pretend to shake hands and converse again and just smiled awkwardly. A few people have commented about it.

And yeah I thought it was my tensest game, and maybe the most exciting to watch. Other than the first one where I went behind at first, because people weren't so sure I would win then.
Last edited by JJ Smith on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

JJ Smith wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote:I would say your last game was the closest. Not perhaps by the final score but by how long it was before someone broke ahead.

That was kind of funny, because after the game I started talking to him about something or other as normal, I probably told him he was my best opponent. Although he was generally a bit withdrawn for whatever reason. But then afterwards they made us reshoot the credits, so we both looked at each other wondering if we should pretend to shake hands and converse again and just smiled awkwardly. A few people have commented about it.

And yeah I thought it was my tensest game, and maybe the most exciting to watch. Other than the first one where I went behind at first, because people weren't so sure I would win then.
Ah right. That explains it then.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JJ Smith wrote:What was the smug thing that players have done?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

The one thing that "smug players" do?
Is it making the "loser sign" to unsettle their opponents?
Or maybe, the finger across the throat?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

One word. And one hashtag. #cheekysip.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Thanks Johnny, I will have to look out for that.