Spoilers For Monday March 14th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday March 14th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, it's the start of another glorious week, but unfortunately, it's also the time of year when the horses are out of the stables and ready to race.... :(

So, with the Cheltenham Festival taking centre stage this week, Countdown is restricted down from 5 shows to 1 show this week...

But, hoping to go up one from 4 to 5 wins is our current champion, Conrad Teixeira (or JJ Smith, as we know him here.) ;) :) :D

Colin Murray finishes off in DC too. 8-)

Join Sean for the recap when all is well with the recap writer. :D
szodiac
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Monday March 14th 2016

Post by szodiac »

James Robinson wrote:So, with the Cheltenham Festival taking centre stage this week, Countdown is restricted down from 5 shows to 1 show this week...
At least it affects Deal or No Deal too :D

Mauro
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

A couple of beaters about, but I didn't see the TOADLETS in round 7, probably because they are so small...
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

I thought it was a little mean of Susie to make Mark spell out FLUORIDE, she obviously knows it's one of those words that's commonly misspelt, so correctly guessed he had misspelt it, she could easily have let it go.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I thought it was a little mean of Susie to make Mark spell out FLUORIDE, she obviously knows it's one of those words that's commonly misspelt, so correctly guessed he had misspelt it, she could easily have let it go.
It's a sort of in-joke, Steven. Susie made me spell GOITRE when I declared it, but she was laughing as she asked, because we both knew why she was asking and we both knew that the other knew, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I thought it was a little mean of Susie to make Mark spell out FLUORIDE, she obviously knows it's one of those words that's commonly misspelt, so correctly guessed he had misspelt it, she could easily have let it go.
After the round was over, I said "Why did you make him spell it!" But I think that as soon as she said it, she wished she hadn't asked.

Mark was a good opponent and better than most players. If it wasn't for that spelling error and the stupid risk in the round before he would have only been 9 points off me.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

And 2 points off if he didn't miss EXPANDS.

He was a bit irritated that he didn't know about Apterous, if he had done a bit of practice he probably would have beaten me this game. I forgot how good he was until I just saw the wiki recap. He should definitely practice a little bit and return for a teapot in a few years.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I was totally beaten all ends up in that last numbers game, but at least Usman Mirza got to have his day in the sun as well by being selected from the audience to answer the conundrum. ;) :) :D
mark swayland

Post by mark swayland »

Thanks for the kind words Conrad and well done.

I must admit it was extremely frustrating to make so many school boy errors, but in reality I wasn't going to be good enough to win on the day regardless. I just would have liked to score higher and have given you a better game. Like a snowman I metled under the heat of the lights and cameras, ha.

I was surprised Susie asked about Fluoride, but I only saw it in the last second and had flour and floured written down and just wrote 'ide' next to flour in my haste. Everything seemed to happen so quick and when Susie asked for a spelling all I could see was flour. Fair justice as I wrote it down wrong anyway.

C'est La Vie, maybe one day I'll return for that elusive teapot

I've managed to find apterous and we'll have to have a rematch at some point :).
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

mark swayland wrote:C'est La Vie, maybe one day I'll return for that elusive teapot

I've managed to find apterous and we'll have to have a rematch at some point :).
Definitely do return.

And definitely challenge me whenever you see me.