Spoilers for Wednesday 17th February

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Laverty
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Wednesday 17th February

Post by James Laverty »

Dave Armstrong won his second game yesterday, can he overcome the challenge of Natalie Helme today and set up a meeting with Paul Erdunast tomorrow? Will another apterite make a surprise appearance in the audience?

Find out with Robbo later
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 17th February

Post by Tony Atkins »

(50/2)x7x5-5+3=873
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Round 10- PIANOLA
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Round 12- DESTINED
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

And an anagram of the invald "blouts" in the last letters.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ESSAYED in the SUEDES round. Also, in my opinion, the decision made on SUEDES was "It's not in, but you get the points anyway."
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Johnny Canuck wrote:ESSAYED in the SUEDES round. Also, in my opinion, the decision made on SUEDES was "It's not in, but you get the points anyway."
Yes, but in the brochure they give contestants, there is a dictionary guidance section which gives the classes of noun which may be allowed on Countdown even though they are the 'plural' of a mass noun. One of these is food. Another is fabrics. Therefore imo this was definitely the right call, based on their own guidance. The trouble is, another is colours, examples of which they give 'blues' and 'scarlets'. So I wasn't in agreement when Heather's 'taupes' was disallowed in the CoC because taupe is a specific colour: so is scarlet!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You can't say "tricky one this, come back to me" and then later on give it "yeah, a few ways to get this one" Rach!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:You can't say "tricky one this, come back to me" and then later on give it "yeah, a few ways to get this one" Rach!
She's normally does it as a subtle way of mocking the contestants so maybe she was just pointing out how poor she'd been. Self-deprecating.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:You can't say "tricky one this, come back to me" and then later on give it "yeah, a few ways to get this one" Rach!
She's normally does it as a subtle way of mocking the contestants so maybe she was just pointing out how poor she'd been. Self-deprecating.
Hmm, it still does the contestant-mocking then as well, which seems inappropriate in this instance. Should be phrased more directly if she was intending to refer solely to herself. Bring Carol back.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Johnny Canuck wrote:ESSAYED in the SUEDES round. Also, in my opinion, the decision made on SUEDES was "It's not in, but you get the points anyway."
I agree, that whole justification was ridiculously woolly-sounding. Even in saying "you can have different naps or colours..." I think she realised that you would still just say "of suede" rather than referring to them as suedes. Google Chrome has just squiggly-underlined suedes btw. Mind you, it's also underlined realised, so fuck that. If there was good justification for it being valid (as Paul says), tell us that instead rather than some BS! Bring Richard Samson back.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:Bring Richard Samson back.
Can you do resurrections??