CoC Semi-Final 2 Spoilers For Thursday January 21st 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Semi-Final 2 Spoilers For Thursday January 21st 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, we've had one very tight semi-final, is the second one going to be as hard to call......... :? :?:

We have the only female competitor left, Jen Steadman, taking on the only series champion left, Dan McColm.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, Series 69 Quarter-Finalist Jen "The Paddock Wood Princess" Steadman - 11 Games, 10 Wins, 1,290 Points. (Average: 117.27)
Highest Score: 130 vs. Ian Toulson (4th Game)
Lowest Score: 104 vs. Peter Etherington (1st Game)
9's Achieved: 7/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1290/1419 (91%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 828/878 (94%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 382/431 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 80/110 (73%)

Secondly, Series 71 Champion Dan "The Kineton Kolossus" McColm - 13 Games, 13 Wins, 1,509 Points. (Average: 116.08)
Highest Score: 137 vs. Harry Jarrett (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 92 vs. Ben Hodgson (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 7/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1509/1666 (91%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 949/1022 (93%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 460/514 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 100/130 (77%)

Join Tracey later for the recap. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Re: CoC Semi-Final 2 Spoilers For Thursday January 21st 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great game, well done both. Brilliant as ever Dan, many congrats on making the final, also well done Jen on making the final four. 8-)

Can't wait for the final tomorrow between two greats of the game :D
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Probably the best game in the CoC so far (tied with Andy v Dylan). Kudos to "Cool Dan" and great commiserations to Jen as well. ROSMARINE was a phenomenal new-dictionary spot, especially under so much pressure.

One beater today -- did anyone spot it? (FWIW, the word I got in that round was roughly 50% of the length of that beater.)

Crafty how they put the conundrum scramble containing "PLATT" on the opposite side of the draw from Andy.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Surprised there's not been more comment on this; admittedly I've not exactly watched rigorously for a few years now, but this was a fantastic game and generally this C of C has been way beyond what I even thought possible five year ago (which was pretty damn good, let's not forget).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah, amazing game again. I've been utterly annihilated in so many games playing along at home. Damn new words.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Another brilliant match, during the last numbers game, with Dan scribbling away frantically and Jennifer sitting serenely, I was convinced we were going to be treated to a crucial conundrum, it wasn't to be, Dan delivered.
I don't think too many would disagree that the 4 best players reached the semi-finals, despite no "real" seeding.
I don't suppose the two losing semi-finalists would have been up for a 3rd place play-off....then again it could have been a chance to finish the competition on a high for one of them.
Tomorrow's final looks a toss-up, let's just hope it's a "gettable" conundrum should the match come down to it.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Another great match. Well done to Jen and Dan! :)

I thought I had my 3rd ever nine with flections lol, but then I realized it was a mass noun :( Lol.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yeah once again extremely high standard and Jen did well to get back into it after Dan's 9. As Steven says, I think we did have the 4 best players in the semi-finals and we've now got what I would have said were the top 2 in the competition to start with so I'm really looking forward to it. Dylan vs Andy is still the best game of the CoC and arguably the best game of all time for me. I think had Andy beaten Dylan then that would have been the single greatest performance in the history of the show for me.

I think Dylan is a slight favourite but can't see beyond a crucial conundrum. And I hope it is a crucial conundrum and one which is a common word.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Can you watch Countdown live on Channel 4's website or anything? I have pissing forgotten to watch everything every day.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Matt Morrison wrote:Can you watch Countdown live on Channel 4's website or anything? I have pissing forgotten to watch everything every day.
Yeah you can watch at this link http://www.channel4.com/now/c4. Thanks all for the comments so far, though I don't think I'm one of the best two contestants in this CoC - Giles was superb, as were Dylan and Jen of course.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks Dan. Will really try tomorrow. Going to book one of the meeting rooms at work so I don't forget.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dan McColm wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Can you watch Countdown live on Channel 4's website or anything? I have pissing forgotten to watch everything every day.
Yeah you can watch at this link http://www.channel4.com/now/c4. Thanks all for the comments so far, though I don't think I'm one of the best two contestants in this CoC - Giles was superb, as were Dylan and Jen of course.
Personal opinion, but you have outgeniused them all so far.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game to watch. It certainly didn't seem over when Dan got ROSMARINE, and then Jen's MOMENTAL opened it up again.
Matt Morrison wrote:Thanks Dan. Will really try tomorrow. Going to book one of the meeting rooms at work so I don't forget.
You know you can watch games not live don't you? Also, does your job allow you to just book a meeting room to watch Countdown whenever you feel like it?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Thanks Dan. Will really try tomorrow. Going to book one of the meeting rooms at work so I don't forget.
You know you can watch games not live don't you? Also, does your job allow you to just book a meeting room to watch Countdown whenever you feel like it?
Incredibly enough, I am aware of the options for watching games not live. It's been a long time since we've had Countdown on the planner and I don't think I've watched an episode (until today) in over a year, just haven't had any love for anything about the game in a while sadly. Kept forgetting to set the CoC to record ("damn I forgot again" every day) and never got round to thinking "hmm could put 4OD on" before I'd already voluntarily spoilered myself in the process of checking C4C most evenings. Checking many of the spoiler threads did leave me wishing I'd watched the whole CoC as it sounds like it was a particularly good set of games.

And yes, the big meeting room at work was free so I thought I'd pop it on there rather than just watch from my desk. The joys of working in "new media" or whatever they call it, I guess. Only one person joined me, but she did bring a particularly tasty smoothie with her to share, so that was nice. I had no idea how much of a mission the Channel 4 live thing was, and after waiting for the meeting room booking (1530), realising I had to register for Channel 4, unblocking Flash plugin and disabling AdBlock Plus, we only got to watch the final 5 rounds.