CoC Quarter-Final 1 Spoilers For Thursday January 14th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Quarter-Final 1 Spoilers For Thursday January 14th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, the preliminaries are all done, so it's time to get super serious now, as we enter the quarter-finals, and what a quarter-final we have to start with, as 2 young series champions go head-to-head for a place in Wednesday's first semi-final.

Series 72 champion Tom Cappleman takes on Series 68 champion Giles Hutchings, with both players scoring in the 130's in their preliminary round wins last week, and if you look at the stats below, it's very, very hard to call this one.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, Series 72 Champion Tom "The Enfield Enforcer" Cappleman - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,392 Points. (Average: 116)
Highest Score: 135 vs. Jack Roberts (4th Game)
Lowest Score: 98 vs. Gavin Woolnough (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 6/7
Total Points/Max/%: 1392/1540 (90%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 859/952 (90%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 453/468 (97%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 80/120 (67%)

Secondly, Series 68 Champion Giles "The Farnham Firestorm" Hutchings - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,407 Points. (Average: 117.25)
Highest Score: 132 vs. Heather Styles (CoC Preliminary)
Lowest Score: 95 vs. Andy Platt (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 7/10
Total Points/Max/%: 1407/1568 (90%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 875/983 (89%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 432/465 (93%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 100/120 (83%)

I'm reliably informed that Jen will be doing this recap today, as she and Tracey have arranged a switcheroo this week. 8-)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: CoC Quarter-Final 1 Spoilers For Thursday January 14th 2016

Post by Jack Worsley »

Another great spectacle (dodgy new words aside), very well done to you both! Very well done to Giles for keeping your composure after part 1. Beating Tom on a six small is no mean feat and the conundrum spot was great. Well done to Tom for your part in a superb game and you've been fantastic throughout your appearances as well.

TOWNSITE to equal TAWNIEST and possibly IRONHEAD for a round 2 equaller.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Superb game between two class players, great standard as ever. Best game of the series so far, very well played both. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Very high quality game, absolutely annihilated by both players. Can't believe Giles managed a 35 point swing in however many rounds it was.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Great game with an amazing standard of play from both of you. Just spoiled a little bit for me because I really didn't want to see either of you lose.
Dave Ricesky

Post by Dave Ricesky »

Shame Giles didn't take the chance to embarrass Nick a little when he made a remark along the lines of "I bet you both have the same word" after both contestants declared 9.

Excellent, dramatic game, although I'm unclear on the rationale behind going for 2 large in the final numbers game. If you're "relying on the conundrum" anyway, why not try for a trickier numbers game - then, even if you don't get it and your opponent does, you can "rely on the conundrum" to win anyway. On the other hand, if you do beat your opponent, then you've won outright.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Dave Ricesky wrote:Excellent, dramatic game, although I'm unclear on the rationale behind going for 2 large in the final numbers game. If you're "relying on the conundrum" anyway, why not try for a trickier numbers game - then, even if you don't get it and your opponent does, you can "rely on the conundrum" to win anyway. On the other hand, if you do beat your opponent, then you've won outright.
Personally if I botched the last numbs I'd be going into the conundrum with knocked confidence and dwelling on it like "oh fuck what the hell have I done", ergo being less likely to solve the con.

Additionally, the conundrum could go unsolved.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Dave Ricesky

Post by Dave Ricesky »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Dave Ricesky wrote:Excellent, dramatic game, although I'm unclear on the rationale behind going for 2 large in the final numbers game. If you're "relying on the conundrum" anyway, why not try for a trickier numbers game - then, even if you don't get it and your opponent does, you can "rely on the conundrum" to win anyway. On the other hand, if you do beat your opponent, then you've won outright.
Personally if I botched the last numbs I'd be going into the conundrum with knocked confidence and dwelling on it like "oh fuck what the hell have I done", ergo being less likely to solve the con.

Additionally, the conundrum could go unsolved.
Fair enough, I guess, although it's not like there wasn't any pressure to begin with - Giles seemed like he couldn't get the answer out of his mouth quickly enough after buzzing! (Although if that was just so that there could be no controversy over the solve, a big well-done to Giles for being so clear-headed under pressure).