CoC Preliminary 4 Spoilers For Thursday January 7th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Preliminary 4 Spoilers For Thursday January 7th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're now at the halfway point in the preliminaries, or we will be after today's game, and we now have a battle of the runners-up today.

We have Dylan Taylor from Series 69 taking on Tracey Mills from Series 72.

Based on the stats, let's hope tiebreak conundrums won't be needed..... :P

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, Series 69 Runner-Up Dylan "The Malpas Mutilator" Taylor - 11 Games, 10 Wins, 1,319 Points. (Average: 119.91)
Highest Score: 129 vs. Leone Mitchell (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Gemma Church (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1319/1435 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 841/891 (94%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 428/434 (99%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/110 (45%)

Secondly, Series 72 Runner-Up Tracey "The Stockport Sparkler" Mills - 11 Ganes, 10 Wins, 1,125 Points. (Average: 102.27)
Highest Score: 116 vs. Daniel Rhymer (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 89 vs. Tom Cappleman (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 4/9
Total Points/Max/%: 1125/1439 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 756/897 (84%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 329/432 (76%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/110 (36%)

As Tracey is busy playing today, I'll be doing today's recap, so you can join me later for that. ;) :) :D
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Re: CoC Preliminary 4 Spoilers For Thursday January 7th 2016

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Beat Rach on Numbers 3 :
(75 + (100/25)) x 9 + 6
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:Beat Rach on Numbers 3 :
(75 + (100/25)) x 9 + 6
You were a bit faster, you mean? Well done anyway.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

SPLENIAL in one of the later rounds.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done both, good game. Excellent standard by Dylan once again, unlucky Tracey on the first round, I thought you were going to give Susie a GRRRRR! :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Well done both, good game. Excellent standard by Dylan once again, unlucky Tracey on the first round, I thought you were going to give Susie a GRRRRR! :)
I thought Susie was really professional as Susie probably already knew IDOCRASE was in but asked Tracey to spell it as she pronounced it IDIOCRASE and then spelt it IODCRASE. A touch of nerves I felt but well done to Susie for challenging.

SPLENIAL for me too. Got 717 too using Jono's rule of 9 (88x9-75) but missed a couple of other numbers games - good solving under pressure guys!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:Well done both, good game. Excellent standard by Dylan once again, unlucky Tracey on the first round, I thought you were going to give Susie a GRRRRR! :)
Got 717 too using Jono's rule of 9 (88x9-75) but missed a couple of other numbers games - good solving under pressure guys!
I got 717 by ((100 + 9 - (50 / 25)) x 6) + 75, just to be different still. :P :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Great performance by Dylan today, I would have to put him top of the pile based on what we've seen so far this week. Tracey got unlucky with a couple of obscure spellings, but I don't think there was any beating Dylan either way.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jon Corby wrote:Great performance by Dylan today, I would have to put him top of the pile based on what we've seen so far this week. Tracey got unlucky with a couple of obscure spellings, but I don't think there was any beating Dylan either way.
Nah. Obviously Dylan played exceptionally well and was NEAR unbeatable, but I think that at this point in time Giles's performance WAS unbeatable. He got two brand new words that only a handful of people across the whole of Apterous would have known, and the only two maxes he missed were obscure new ones that literally nobody would have got. Sure, they both got 13 maxes, but if you gave the top 25 Apterites the two rounds Dylan missed and the two that Giles missed, I'm not sure you'd have much debate about which rounds were harder to max.

(Incidentally, I drew with Dylan when playing along from the audience, but lost to Giles)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Giles.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jon Corby wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about Giles.
You're a monster.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Great game that was! Dylan was excellent!! Tracey was excellent too and was unlucky with those spellings and to be up against the amazing Dylan. Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

I was kicking myself after getting 717 late. I did (((75+50)-(100/25))*6)-9.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Just like to say a huge thank you for everybody's support in the champion of champions, an excellent performance by Dylan Taylor pleased and honoured to play him so best of luck to Dylan and Andy in their next match and good luck to everyone else who is competing !
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
I thought Susie was really professional as Susie probably already knew IDOCRASE was in but asked Tracey to spell it as she pronounced it IDIOCRASE and then spelt it IODCRASE. A touch of nerves I felt but well done to Susie for challenging.

SPLENIAL for me too. Got 717 too using Jono's rule of 9 (88x9-75) but missed a couple of other numbers games - good solving under pressure guys!
I did rush the spelling a little bit, but that was nerves slowly creeping in, but it got the better of me in the end, enjoyed it and was pleased to be part of it.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Great performance by Dylan today, I would have to put him top of the pile based on what we've seen so far this week. Tracey got unlucky with a couple of obscure spellings, but I don't think there was any beating Dylan either way.
Nah. Obviously Dylan played exceptionally well and was NEAR unbeatable, but I think that at this point in time Giles's performance WAS unbeatable. He got two brand new words that only a handful of people across the whole of Apterous would have known, and the only two maxes he missed were obscure new ones that literally nobody would have got. Sure, they both got 13 maxes, but if you gave the top 25 Apterites the two rounds Dylan missed and the two that Giles missed, I'm not sure you'd have much debate about which rounds were harder to max.

(Incidentally, I drew with Dylan when playing along from the audience, but lost to Giles)
Giles's wasn't unbeatable because he could have gone better with MANIOC in one of the rounds even if it wasn't a max.

Also, he said that he wanted to be a financial consultant or something. That is most definitely not a max!

But yeah, it was a very good game from both Giles and Dylan, and I did pick Giles to beat Dylan in the semis, but a tough choice.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Did anyone else notice the camera catching Dylan turning round looking at the clock? What were you doing Dylan, watching it reset?
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jon Corby wrote:Did anyone else notice the camera catching Dylan turning round looking at the clock? What were you doing Dylan, watching it reset?
The clock does make a whirring sound which is kind of distracting when sitting in the chair - they must have
filters set so the microphones do not pick it up.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Personally I think Tracey should've had her word allowed even after saying it wrong then spelling it wrong, at the end of the day its meant to be a fun not-too-serious show, and so the judgement should always just be on what you have written down... Not on how well you can hold your nerves together. Not like its live anyway, would take one second to refilm.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Pryn wrote:Personally I think Tracey should've had her word allowed even after saying it wrong then spelling it wrong, at the end of the day its meant to be a fun not-too-serious show, and so the judgement should always just be on what you have written down... Not on how well you can hold your nerves together. Not like its live anyway, would take one second to refilm.
Did she have it written down right? I don't think it came up on the show.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
George Pryn wrote:Personally I think Tracey should've had her word allowed even after saying it wrong then spelling it wrong, at the end of the day its meant to be a fun not-too-serious show, and so the judgement should always just be on what you have written down... Not on how well you can hold your nerves together. Not like its live anyway, would take one second to refilm.
I think Tracey did say that she had the correct spelling written down, and Susie queried whether it could be allowed on that basis, but the ruling from the unseen room of mystery up in the rafters was to disallow it.

It was a harsh call, but definitely the correct one. Otherwise, a contestant who was unsure of how to spell a word could write it down one way and spell it verbally a slightly different way, effectively getting two attempts at it. Obviously Tracey wasn't trying to do this, but it would be an unwise precedent to set.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I think Tracey did say that she had the correct spelling written down, and Susie queried whether it could be allowed on that basis, but the ruling from the unseen room of mystery up in the rafters was to disallow it.

It was a harsh call, but definitely the correct one. Otherwise, a contestant who was unsure of how to spell a word could write it down one way and spell it verbally a slightly different way, effectively getting two attempts at it. Obviously Tracey wasn't trying to do this, but it would be an unwise precedent to set.
Agreed.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Agreed.[/quote]

But when has anyone been unsure of two spellings of a word that are the same length? Every time someone has spelled something wrong on the show it has been where they've missed or added a letter, Susie never checks peoples spellings unless she genuinely doesn't know what word they are trying to say...Does she?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

George Pryn wrote:But when has anyone been unsure of two spellings of a word that are the same length? Every time someone has spelled something wrong on the show it has been where they've missed or added a letter, Susie never checks peoples spellings unless she genuinely doesn't know what word they are trying to say...Does she?
Not so. Words are often spelt wrong by changing the order of letters or using the wrong letter, for example PIRANHA. Susie does sometimes ask the contestant to spell the word if they could plausibly have spelt it wrong. GIAOURS has been offered with the A before the I, for example. Also, sometimes the bit where the contestant is asked to spell the word gets cut out if they got it right, which might explain why it seems Susie doesn't ask for the spelling very often.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

iodcrase can be allowed if Andrea's allowed back on the show. Deal? Deal. Good.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark