CoC Preliminary 3 Spoilers For Wednesday January 6th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Preliminary 3 Spoilers For Wednesday January 6th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, we now move onto the 3rd preliminary, now that we know that the first quarter-final will be between Tom and Giles a week tomorrow.

Today's matchup interestingly sees 2 players who were actually defeated by yesterday's competitors in their respective series finals.

We have Series 68 runner-up Andy Platt (who lost to Giles in the final) against Series 67 semi-finalist David Barnard (who lost to Heather in the semi-final).

Here are the stats:

Firstly, Series 68 Runner-Up Andy "The Salford Superstorm" Platt - 11 Games, 10 Wins, 1,210 Points. (Average: 110) (4 Games In 15.3 Format, 7 Games In 15.4 Format)
Highest Score: 120 vs. Josh Young (7th Game) and vs. Eileen Taylor (Semi-Final)
Lowest Score: 86 vs. Giles Hutchings (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1210/1400 (86%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 800/905 (88%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 350/385 (91%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/110 (55%)

Secondly, Series 67 Semi-Finalist David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard - 10 Games, 9 Wins, 960 Points (Average: 96)
Highest Score: 111 vs. Arthur Sharpe (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 81 vs. Heather Styles (Semi-Final)
9's Achieved: 4/7
Total Points/Max/%: 960/1260 (76%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 659/866 (76%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 251/294 (85%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/100 (50%)

I'll be recapping later. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: CoC Preliminary 3 Spoilers For Wednesday January 6th 2016

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:Today's matchup interestingly sees 2 players who were actually defeated by yesterday's competitors in their respective series finals.

We have Series 68 runner-up Andy Platt (who lost to Giles in the final) against Series 67 semi-finalist David Barnard (who lost to Heather in the semi-final).
Should be "respective series finalses".
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Today's matchup interestingly sees 2 players who were actually defeated by yesterday's competitors in their respective series finals.

You can't order series finals in a restaurant, dickhead.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Disappointed to be out when this broadcasts. I was really looking forward to re-listening to Gloria's DC spot today.
Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

You can't order series finals in a restaurant, dickhead.
:D :D :D
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well played lads, best match of the series so far :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Maybe, as a follow-up to the "GANDISEEG" easter egg at the end of Series 60, the first letters of the CoC conundrum answers are going to spell out "BRITTAIN IS A <insert 4-letter expletive here>".
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If it's any consolation, declaring 896 wouldn't have made any difference.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Disappointed to be out when this broadcasts. I was really looking forward to re-listening to Gloria's DC spot today.
Jim Bentley will have hated it
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

When she started, I thought "angels? fuck off Gloria you silly old fool".

But then I listened to the story, and I can't think of another explanation. Can YOU?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Oh yeah, and great game too. Well done Andy! (Hard luck David, but like Gev said, the misdeclaration made no difference. Well, unless it was playing horribly on your mind when you should have been solving the conundrum.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:When she started, I thought "angels? fuck off Gloria you silly old fool".

But then I listened to the story, and I can't think of another explanation. Can YOU?
Obviously I didn't listen. Can you summarise?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jon Corby wrote:When she started, I thought "angels? fuck off Gloria you silly old fool".

She was quite obviously tripping balls at the time. Hence crashing in the first place.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:

Obviously I didn't listen. Can you summarise?
Gloria believes in angels.

She was driving in France to their holiday home with a fully-laden car, and, having got off the motorway, was proceeding very slowly through a little village when she fell asleep at the wheel. She apparently careered across a busy road with huge trucks on (which somehow appeared in the middle of this quiet little village) and smashed into some concrete. She woke up there not really sure what was going on, her husband injured and needing hospital treatment, and none of the locals spoke English and her French is very limited. Scary situation, when suddenly a girl with long blonde hair appeared and spoke to them in perfect English, offering to look after their stuff for them while they went to the hospital. So they went off to hospital, stayed overnight, and went to a nearby cafe the next morning for a coffee. The girl appeared again, and drove them 4km out of town to where the police had taken their car. Her husband got discharged, so they decided to get some flowers for the girl. But they went to the cafe and she didn't work there and nobody had heard of her! ZOMG! (Quite how they managed to have this conversation considering that nobody spoke English except for the blonde-haired girl, and they didn't understand French, I don't know. Nor was it mentioned why they thought she worked in the cafe.) Conclusion: "I believe in Earth Angels, I believe they are sent to you in times of trauma, and I truly believe that she was an Earth Angel."

Explain that, science.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nick fucked up the DISCARDS teatime teaser today as well, he read the scramble as GRASS instead of CRASS. WHERE WAS HIS FUCKING ANGEL THEN, EH?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Maybe you get earth angels but not grass angels.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Gloria believes in angels.

She was driving in France to their holiday home with a fully-laden car, and, having got off the motorway, was proceeding very slowly through a little village when she fell asleep at the wheel. She apparently careered across a busy road with huge trucks on (which somehow appeared in the middle of this quiet little village) and smashed into some concrete. She woke up there not really sure what was going on, her husband injured and needing hospital treatment, and none of the locals spoke English and her French is very limited. Scary situation, when suddenly a girl with long blonde hair appeared and spoke to them in perfect English, offering to look after their stuff for them while they went to the hospital. So they went off to hospital, stayed overnight, and went to a nearby cafe the next morning for a coffee. The girl appeared again, and drove them 4km out of town to where the police had taken their car. Her husband got discharged, so they decided to get some flowers for the girl. But they went to the cafe and she didn't work there and nobody had heard of her! ZOMG! (Quite how they managed to have this conversation considering that nobody spoke English except for the blonde-haired girl, and they didn't understand French, I don't know. Nor was it mentioned why they thought she worked in the cafe.) Conclusion: "I believe in Earth Angels, I believe they are sent to you in times of trauma, and I truly believe that she was an Earth Angel."

Explain that, science.
That's watertight.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Nick fucked up the DISCARDS teatime teaser today as well, he read the scramble as GRASS instead of CRASS. WHERE WAS HIS FUCKING ANGEL THEN, EH?
He was grassed up to God for being too crass so his angel discarded him.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Perhaps Gloria's Earth Angel was a bloke with long hair?

I hope she isn't shouting out the answers during the 30 seconds, like she was in my show with her.
If she is then of course the players will have the same as her (or better).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

INTERGROW is still a pretty obscure conundrum even if it looks more like a word than the one the other day.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:INTERGROW is still a pretty obscure conundrum even if it looks more like a word than the one the other day.
Yeah, but I don't mind obscure conundrums if you can still have a pretty good punt at them even if you're not necessarily familiar with the word. SHOTCRETE was just bollocks.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Gloria believes in angels.

Explain that, science.
That's watertight.
Fucking hell, who's next in Dictionary Corner, David Icke?

Actually that would be really funny. Get onto it right away, Countdown Team!*

* I imagine that the Countdown Team is like the A Team and can not only spring into action at a moment's notice, but can also GET THE JOB DONE. Also one of them is scared of flying but that doesn't matter because you can always drug them with milk or whatever the fuck it was they used to do in every episode
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Great quality game, vwp to both. Doubt I'd have seen the 9 in the studio. Was chuffed to spot ISPAGHUL in r12.