CoC Preliminary 2 Spoilers For Tuesday January 5th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Preliminary 2 Spoilers For Tuesday January 5th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, after that blockbuster start to the Champion of Champions yesterday, we now have to see if the second preliminary match can follow suit.

This match is between the Series 67 runner-up Heather Styles (one-quarter of the female participants in the tournament), and the Series 68 champion (and the only unbeaten player in the whole tournament) Giles Hutchings.

Here are the stats:

Firstly, Series 67 Runner-Up Heather "The Sevenoaks Sizzler" Styles - 11 Games, 10 Wins, 979 Points (Average: 89)
Highest Score: 114 vs. Philip Jackson (1st Game)
Lowest Score: 51 vs. Paul James (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 1/7
Total Points/Max/%: 979/1381 (71%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 676/944 (72%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 253/327 (77%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/110 (45%)

Secondly, Series 68 Champion Giles "The Farnham Firestorm" Hutchings - 11 Games, 11 Wins, 1,275 Points. (Average: 115.91)
Highest Score: 130 vs. Alan Flanagan (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 95 vs. Andy Platt (Grand Final)
9's Achieved: 6/9
Total Points/Max/%: 1275/1433 (89%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 793/898 (88%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 392/425 (92%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/110 (82%)

Join Jen for the recap later. ;) :) :D

And after this you might want to switch over to BBC Two at about 6pm to see a Series 58 grand finalist, a Series 61 semi-finalist, a failed Countdown auditionee, and me and my dad trying to crack the Eggheads. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: CoC Preliminary 2 Spoilers For Tuesday January 5th 2016

Post by Jack Worsley »

HOMINY for a round 2 equaller.
Sean Fletcher
Acolyte

Post by Sean Fletcher »

ROSTERED in round 4???
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd nos alt: ((4x10)+7)x9

4th nos alt: ((50+5)x(6+6))+9
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good spirited game, well done both. :) Great performance Giles as ever, well done Heather for fighting to the end, very unlucky with taupes.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Is UNREALIST new? I knew that UNREALISM was in before.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Is UNREALIST new? I knew that UNREALISM was in before.
Yes - both 9s are new.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good game. Giles was in awesome form because Heather didn't play badly. Nick doesn't wait with the conundrum does he? Heather was still moving her glass away and had to rush.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Well played, both of you. What was on the note Heather passed to Giles after the conundrum?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:Well played, both of you. What was on the note Heather passed to Giles after the conundrum?
And the one Giles passed back during the end credits...
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great performance, Giles! Well played to Heather too, you just came up against Giles in red hot form. I'd have been trounced there.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

This game was a true masterclass from Giles - a mere three points off a max game; there was absolutely no stopping him. I hope he does well in the remainder of the championship. I don't feel I could have played better, except for not chickening ANOMIC in round 2 and being awake in round 6. To me, the decision to disallow taupes lacked logic, but it didn't matter.

I passed Giles a note saying "vvwp, gg, ty, gl in the rest" and then my phone number surrounded by little love hearts. He passed me one saying "vwp, gg, ty". I think I then passed him a picture of me boiling his pet rabbit, but I can't be sure - they cut that bit out.
Last edited by Heather Styles on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Potentially hard trivia, but solvable via the wiki: Does anyone know what the two contestants in this game had in common that is not shared by any of the other contestants in the CoC (as far as I know)?

NOTE: Statements to the effect of "They both played in Episode 6279" will be punished by either lashing or stocks. Your choice.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Potentially hard trivia, but solvable via the wiki: Does anyone know what the two contestants in this game had in common that is not shared by any of the other contestants in the CoC (as far as I know)?

NOTE: Statements to the effect of "They both played in Episode 6279" will be punished by either lashing or stocks. Your choice.
Both have had parents appear on Countdown, though that's also true of me so probably not what you're looking for.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Oops, forgot it was true of you too -- that was indeed what I was going for. Seemed like an unlikely enough occurrence to not be true for almost 20% of the contestants.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

There is another connection - Giles is studying at the University of Warwick, which is where I went many moons ago.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

Thanks all for the kind comments! It felt great to be back in the chair (be it challenger's or champion's), and luckily one of the 9s I'd crammed into my brain the night before popped up. And a great play by Heather going for UNREALIST! I remembered OUTRAKES since when I first saw it on a word list, I thought it was a stupid new verb and hence looked it up, then found it was a noun instead.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Giles wrote:Thanks all for the kind comments! It felt great to be back in the chair (be it challenger's or champion's), and luckily one of the 9s I'd crammed into my brain the night before popped up. And a great play by Heather going for UNREALIST! I remembered OUTRAKES since when I first saw it on a word list, I thought it was a stupid new verb and hence looked it up, then found it was a noun instead.
You knew it was a noun but pronounced it like a verb anyway? :P