Spoilers For Thursday November 19th 2015

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday November 19th 2015

Post by James Robinson »

A quiet day today it seems... :P

Anyone else notice Nick asking Sam for his numbers in round 11 :?: :P

SUNCREAM/UNCREASE in round 4.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers For Thursday November 19th 2015

Post by Keith Bennett »

James Robinson wrote: Anyone else notice Nick asking Sam for his numbers in round 11 :?: :P

Yes, the lad's face was a picture.

In the first numbers game I would have declared 969 not written down (having seen it fairly quickly, then spent the rest of the time failing to find 968). As she declared 968 Nick would have gone to her first. She then gives the same solution to 969 that I have in mind, and of course realises she's mis-declared. So all I can do is say "same way". Would they take my word for it?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Keith Bennett wrote:In the first numbers game I would have declared 969 not written down (having seen it fairly quickly, then spent the rest of the time failing to find 968). As she declared 968 Nick would have gone to her first. She then gives the same solution to 969 that I have in mind, and of course realises she's mis-declared. So all I can do is say "same way". Would they take my word for it?
I think they'd have to accept it. You declared not written down, so you've done everything right. It's not your fault that your opponent was asked for their closer solution first because it looked like it wouldn't be the same as yours.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Keith Bennett wrote:In the first numbers game I would have declared 969 not written down (having seen it fairly quickly, then spent the rest of the time failing to find 968). As she declared 968 Nick would have gone to her first. She then gives the same solution to 969 that I have in mind, and of course realises she's mis-declared. So all I can do is say "same way". Would they take my word for it?
I think they'd have to accept it. You declared not written down, so you've done everything right. It's not your fault that your opponent was asked for their closer solution first because it looked like it wouldn't be the same as yours.
Yeah, and in this instance I think it's completely plausible that you see it and not write it down - it's not difficult to remember, it's most likely going to be the first thing you try etc, totally believable. You could easily imagine other scenarios though where the answer given was way more convoluted and non-obvious, where you'd go "really? you BOTH happened to think of that, and didn't write it down?" and then I think you'd need some of kind Jeremy Kyle-style lie detector.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Graeme Cole wrote:
If you had 969 the same way but been second to declare, would you still need to say 'not written down' as your opponent had already declared something different?
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Philip Wilson wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
If you had 969 the same way but been second to declare, would you still need to say 'not written down' as your opponent had already declared something different?
It's probably always safest to say NWD for that reason. But in practice you probably wouldn't think to. She says "968", you say "I could only get 969", assuming you're not going to get the chance to declare, and certainly not predicting she'd actually have made 969 your way without realising.

In the end the production team would have to make a judgement and as in practice the majority of people are honest then you'd hope they'd assume that you are one of them! Personally I'd be pretty furious if my word wasn't taken for it. But also were it the other way round as the contestant who'd messed up I'd have no hesitation in accepting the opponent as honest, unless the opponent had already showed he/she was a shit of course.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

spotprize in round 2. Do I win a spot prize?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:A quiet day today it seems... :P

Anyone else notice Nick asking Sam for his numbers in round 11 :?:.
He did what? He asked for his numbers in a letters round?