Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jordan F »

Andrew Irvine got his second win yesterday, but probably not a second teapot for his collection. Can he at least continue to add to his win collection with number 3?

Join Tracey for the recap later.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jordan F »

I tried BICOLOURS for 9 in R2.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jordan F wrote:I tried BICOLOURS for 9 in R2.
I got that, wrote it down for the sake of it but didn't bother to look it up and declared 7.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So is Dictionary Corner just for Nick's mates now?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
But she did play better than he did in any of his games.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:

But she did play better than he did in any of his games.
Yeah, this. Although she did drop off towards the end.

Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
Did one win that recently? Women must be less shit than I thought...

*throws line, waits for bite*
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
Did one win that recently? Women must be less shit than I thought...

*throws line, waits for bite*
*BITES OFF YOUR KNOB FOR BEING SEXIST!!!!111*
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.

Does Michael 1-2-1-2 ever smile?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
I'm enjoying the fact that MILEAGE is listed as a mass noun, yet all 3 of the example sentences for the first definition use 'mileages'.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
I'm enjoying the fact that MILEAGE is listed as a mass noun, yet all 3 of the example sentences for the first definition use 'mileages'.
It's like 2002 all over again! (ask yer dad, assuming he took an interest in the televised parlour game at that time)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Weirdly it finds the entry for MILEAGE if you type MILAGE.

Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?
Ben Shepherd?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:
When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.
Susie seemed to deliberately evade the plural thing.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip Wilson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?
Ben Shepherd?
I'm not getting the Ben Shepherd vibe.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
I'm pretty sure what's on the wiki is a mistake, and it was two Ts, not two Ys.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
However, to answer the question, two Ys haven't appeared in the same round since episode 3142 in 2001, and it appears that nowadays there is only one Y in the consonant pile anyway.

For a brief time from late 2009 to early 2010 they seem to have experimented with two Ys, although they never appeared in the same round. Apart from that, all games since 2001 have featured at most one Y each.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Ah, OK. I suspected that putting multiple copies of such an uncommon letter in the pile would be none too wise.

Thanks for answering my question too.

(I honestly thought the conundrum scramble from that episode you linked me to was ARSECEDED)
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:

In a recent episode she said that something was "clearly listed" as a mass noun AND didn't take a plural form in the examples - so I think the latter has started to be taken into account? Which would make mileages valid. But who knows.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:

Because the MILAGE spelling seems to have been dropped, there shouldn't have been any need to talk about the plural question at all. I think she was expecting to have to, was shocked not to find MILAGE specified, and unsurprisingly wasn't as coherent as she might have been after that. I can't see any reason to doubt that MILEAGES will still be allowable (when it's in the selection).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:not two Ys.
none too wise.
Was that deliberate? I enjoyed it either way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tony Atkins wrote:

I remember the hype around you as well. After you won your first two games, people thought we had a new Conor Travers on our hands!