Spoilers For Monday October 5th 2015

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday October 5th 2015

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're now into a full week of October, and is it possible for Matt Le Tissier to become an octochamp we think to ourselves :? :?:

Well, I think most of us would certainly like to win his next 3 games at least, so he can meet up with James Roper/Rowan/Raper/Ropey (whatever he's called himself nowadays)on Thursday's show. 8-) 8-) 8-)

But first today, he's got a challenge from the Scrabble world in the form of John Hardie (presumably the same one who has joined Apterous recently). Will he be just too Hardie for him today :?: :?:

Graeme Le Saux finishes off in DC today and tomorrow, before we welcome a newbie on Wednesday, the BBC Breakfast presenter, Charlie Stayt.

Join Andy for the recap later. ;) :) :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers For Monday October 5th 2015

Post by Tony Atkins »

Of course there were 4 nines in R1, my one was STRAITENS
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

HORNERO and WOONERF as beaters in R5
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It was a shame to see Matt lose but John was pretty decent. Also when John declared 7 in the SULFATE round, Matt paused before declaring 6 so the only explanation is that this was a blatant attempt at cheating, which fortunately didn't pay off as he failed to find a 7.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:... redacted ...
I've actually just used the "report" function for, I believe, the first time on this forum. It is simply not on to accuse somebody of cheating on such flimsy (well, no) evidence. You have no idea if he was deciding between a risky seven or eight (that he had written down, since he didn't declare "not written down" at any point) and decided to go with the six, either because he deemed his longer word just too risky, or in case John had seen a phantom letter (which he'd already done in round one) or his word was invalid for some other reason. Tactical play like that is well within the bounds of the rules.

We're fortunate in this case, of course, that we have a body of evidence of what an upstanding, honest character Matt is (qv Lee, who just slags off other players. And cheats). For example, in his autobiography, Matt selflessly details how he once spent the first minute or thirty seconds of a match desperately trying to kick the ball out of play so he could win a large monetary "time of first throw-in" wager at the bookies. Confessing to a crime he wasn't even accused of - I'm not sure I can think of something which better demonstrates his honesty.

John was a tough opponent though (which should put paid to the ridiculous notion that the producers rigged his draw), and while Matt was definitely below the standard of his first two games I think even playing at that level it would have been very difficult for him to progress. I remember being exceptionally fatigued by my fourth game, and was fortunate not to lose it. Maybe when Matt is invited back on (hopefully within the year), they could look at possibly changing the filming schedule slightly (e.g. fewer games per day, or pad out the last couple of slots with specials) to avoid this happening again.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

ROFL
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Maybe when Matt is invited back on (hopefully within the year), they could look at possibly changing the filming schedule slightly (e.g. fewer games per day, or pad out the last couple of slots with specials) to avoid this happening again.
Amazingly he's back after just over a month!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Maybe when Matt is invited back on (hopefully within the year), they could look at possibly changing the filming schedule slightly (e.g. fewer games per day, or pad out the last couple of slots with specials) to avoid this happening again.
Does he continue from 3 wins, or start afresh?
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Does he continue from 3 wins, or start afresh?
Both. Potential Undecachampdom.