Spoilers for Wednesday September 23rd 2015 (S73 P58)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday September 23rd 2015 (S73 P58)

Post by Jordan F »

Thomas Carey got past a very tough opponent yesterday to get his fourth win. Can he keep it up with a 5th win today?

Join James for the recap later.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday September 23rd 2015 (S73 P58)

Post by Jack Worsley »

UPWARPED for a beater in round 5-sih, although I was very uncertain of it at the time and I'm not sure I'd have risked it.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

GARROTES with one T? it's alright in Scrabble.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Alt 1st numbers (75+3+1)x(9+2)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

URINAL + M = RUMINAL
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Only just seen this, but according to the ODO and Apterous, VOILES isn't allowed, and shouldn't have been given, unless I've missed some obscure rule from somewhere.........

But, well done again, Thomas, beat me hands down there. That conundrum was especially tough and well done for spotting it. ;) :) :D
Jordan F wrote:Join James for the recap later.
It's actually Giles recapping today, as I was busy...... ;)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

James Robinson wrote:Only just seen this, but according to the ODO and Apterous, VOILES isn't allowed, and shouldn't have been given, unless I've missed some obscure rule from somewhere.........
You won't have seen this on the broadcast, but Susie deliberated for a long time before allowing it. I think she was going to disallow it before she found a pluralisable sense. Maybe "[As modifier] 'a delicate cream voile blouse'" was the one that persuaded her but I really can't remember. Whatever her reasoning, I would be inclined to trust her judgement and I wouldn't class this as an unquestionable mistake.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jack Worsley wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Only just seen this, but according to the ODO and Apterous, VOILES isn't allowed, and shouldn't have been given, unless I've missed some obscure rule from somewhere.........
You won't have seen this on the broadcast, but Susie deliberated for a long time before allowing it. I think she was going to disallow it before she found a pluralisable sense. Maybe "[As modifier] 'a delicate cream voile blouse'" was the one that persuaded her but I really can't remember. Whatever her reasoning, I would be inclined to trust her judgement and I wouldn't class this as an unquestionable mistake.
Ooh. Does Apterous already have 'as modifier' nouns pluralled? (Think quite a lot of them are fabrics.) They seem so similar to adjectives that it seems a bit dodgy. Are there any other examples of this happening on the show?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jack Worsley wrote:Whatever her reasoning, I would be inclined to trust her judgement
It's a fallacy that Susie has any extra powers that us mere mortals don't to read a dictionary and apply the rules.
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Ooh. Does Apterous already have 'as modifier' nouns pluralled? (Think quite a lot of them are fabrics.) They seem so similar to adjectives that it seems a bit dodgy. Are there any other examples of this happening on the show?
Certainly if they're mass nouns to begin with, then also being an "as modifier" wouldn't help their case to be pluralised.

So it's really purely a question of whether fabrics can be pluralised generally.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

VOILES was allowed in this episode, too http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2043

I don't know what the latest contestant guidelines say about pluralising mass nouns, but in my day (yes, I'm old, I know!), fabric was one of the categories where a plural form could sometimes be allowed.

Meanwhile, well done, Thomas, on another very convincing win.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

It makes no sense to pluralise a modifier, surely that can't have been her thinking. Last time I heard, fabrics was still one of the listed categories of mass nouns that could be pluralised, so she'd have justification for allowing it on that basis, though that rule hasn't always been applied before.