Spoilers for Wednesday September 2nd 2015 (S73 P44)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday September 2nd 2015 (S73 P44)

Post by Jordan F »

A coronation day is potentially upon us today. Jonathan Wynn can become the second octochamp of the series. He is also 91 points away from the number one seed, and is also on the verge of being one of the handful of contestants to get 8 out of 8 centuries. Let's see how it all pans out.

Join James for the recap later.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday September 2nd 2015 (S73 P44)

Post by James Robinson »

Another interesting record that Jonathan could have is being in the lead in ALL 120 rounds that he has been involved in!!

Just to clarify, in each of his 7 shows so far, Jonathan has had the lead at the end of round 1 and has never been pegged back. If he starts like this today, he could still be on course to be the first person ever to lead in ALL 120 ROUNDS!!!

Jen Steadman almost did it in her run in Series 69, but her final opponent matched her in the first round, so she led for 119/120 rounds, including 105 in a row, which Jonathan has done at the moment. ;) :) :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

James Robinson wrote:Another interesting record that Jonathan could have is being in the lead in ALL 120 rounds that he has been involved in!!
... in this run (not including his previous attempt).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Another interesting record that Jonathan could have is being in the lead in ALL 120 rounds that he has been involved in!!
... in this run (not including his previous attempt).
Well, yeah, obviously. :P

Well, still on course, even though it was the most unfortunate way of taking the lead at the start.... :roll: :oops:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

To win every single first round has to be unique?
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Shame he missed the 3rd numbers to not get a pefect end to his outstanding run. Anyway, well done Jonathan.

Alt 2nd numbers (3x75+7)x4+2
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Many congrats on becoming an octochamp, Jonathon. :D An excellent set of games there. 8-)
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Congratulations Jonathan on joining the super-elite and on becoming an octochamp :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jon O'Neill wrote:To win every single first round has to be unique?
Computer says yes.

Until today, no octochamp had ever won all eight of their first rounds. Five octochamps won seven out of their eight first rounds: they were Steve Williams, Ryan Taylor, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman and Antoinette Ryan.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:To win every single first round has to be unique?
That's correct. The general rule is that winning a round makes you the unique winner of that round. Hope this helps.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Thanks for all the comments everyone, had the best time at the studios everyone was soooo nice.

V happy with how I did, though inevitability some regrets dunno what it was about that 3rd numbers but even James didn't get it and even Dylan, who spectacularly solved that difficult 351 from game 5 in 15 seconds only got it late on, so felt a bit better on missing the max, maybe I'll save it for the finals hehe.

Thanks to Andy, Jen, James, Tracey and Anthony for all the recaps, thank you all for your interesting and informative comments on the spoilers threads, thanks for my opponents for being thoroughly pleasant people, and finally thanks to Damian for letting me back on and putting up with my persistent requests for another go lol.

One last thing finally I wasn't trying to Hansford that first conundrum, I'm not stupid, or, more importantly, clever enough to be able to do that and wouldn't anyway, but equally I don't have an explanation even for myself as to why I pressed the buzzer so I admit it looks bad think I thought I had it then realised I was wrong and massively panicked heh, safe to say I checked every con twice after that.

If things go the way I think they may with the people yet to record I have some v tough opposition coming up and this could be one of most unpredictable finals in a long time and may the best man, or indeed, lady, win.
Last edited by Jonathan Wynn on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:Thanks for all the comments everyone, had the best time at the studios everyone was soooo nice.

V happy with how I did, though inevitability some regrets dunno what it was about that 3rd numbers but even James didn't get it and even Dylan, who spectacularly solved that difficult 351 from game 5 in 15 seconds only got it late on, so felt a bit better on missing the max, maybe I'll save it for the finals hehe.

Thanks to Andy, Jen, James, Tracey and Anthony for all the recaps, thank you all for your interesting and informative comments on the spoilers threads, thanks for my opponents for being thoroughly pleasant people, and finally thanks to Damian for letting me back on after quite a few times.of asking hehe.

One last thing finally I wasn't trying to Hansford that first conundrum, I'm not stupid, or, more importantly, clever enough to be able to do that and wouldn't anyway, but equally I don't have an explanation even for myself as to why I pressed the buzzer so I admit it looks bad think I thought I had it then realised I was wrong and massively panicked heh, safe to say I checked every con twice after that.

If things go the way I think they may with the people yet to record I have some v tough opposition coming up and this could be one of most unpredictable finals in a long time and may the best man, or indeed, lady, win.
Congratulations on your 8 wins, Jonathan, and a very nice total as well (922 according to the wiki). I'm sure whoever comes up later in the series, you'll still be going into the knockout stages with a very strong chance of winning the series. And presumably you don't have to book your own hotel do you? It's probably just as well as you might get the day wrong! (People at CO:KL will know what I'm talking about.)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Well done on a stonking run, Jon. :)

Also, that conundrum looked strangely familiar.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Wilson wrote:Also, that conundrum looked strangely familiar.
I actually mentioned that to Dylan (while we were sat together in the audience) during the time that it was one of your CoC conundrums. ;) :) :D
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Also, that conundrum looked strangely familiar.
I actually mentioned that to Dylan (while we were sat together in the audience) during the time that it was one of your CoC conundrums. ;) :) :D
Just shows how much the standard has increased since then...
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:Thanks for all the comments everyone, had the best time at the studios everyone was soooo nice.

Thanks to Andy, Jen, James, Tracey and Anthony for all the recaps, thank you all for your interesting and informative comments on the spoilers threads, thanks for my opponents for being thoroughly pleasant people, and finally thanks to Damian for letting me back on and putting up with my persistent requests for another go lol.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss! Jon you bossed it 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) suave work
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Brilliant run, Jonathan and fully-deserving octochamp! A lot of octochamps seem to start very strongly and fade a little towards the end but you got better as your run went on, with your last three performances being particularly outstanding. ABSURDITY today was a great spot, completely had me beaten!

You've set one hell of a standard for people with ambitions to win this series to try and compete with. There are still a couple of great players to come in the next few weeks but no doubt you'll be one of the favourites to lift the trophy.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Brilliant Octochamp run Jonathan. Consistently high standard throughout. Well done and good luck in the finals :)
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jonathan Wynn wrote: safe to say I checked every con twice after that.
Wondered why you took so long on most of them.

Congrats on a very impressive octorun!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Congratulations on your run Jonathan and for trying to make PODGIER the new LEOTARDS!