Spoilers for Friday 8th February 2008

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Spoilers for Friday 8th February 2008

Post by Conor »

STAPEDIAL.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Friday 8th February 2008

Post by Conor »

(9*9+1)*8
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

STAPEDIAL is excellent, I have never heard of it. I had ADIPATES and STAPELIA in that round and thought I was doing well.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

David O'Donnell wrote:STAPEDIAL is excellent, I have never heard of it. I had ADIPATES and STAPELIA in that round and thought I was doing well.
Yeah, I try to remember it as a combination of those two words.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

This guy seems pretty damn good!
Edit: Commentators' curse!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I think your edit made my post pointing out that his easy misses at the end of part 2 disappear!

but yeah, bandied and that numbers game miss...disappointing, let's hope it's just beginner's nerves
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

AGEISTS there.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I was completely crap today, I hope it's temporary. :oops:
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

((4*75/3)+8+5)*7
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Not looked at the spoilers yet cause I'm watching it on 4+1 but for the first numbers game I got (9x9+1)x8
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

Alternatively for that second numbers game...
(5 * 4 + 75 + 3) * 8 + 7
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I thought the champion was going to get FAVOURITE in the first round after she went for the 5th vowel.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ben Pugh wrote:I thought the champion was going to get FAVOURITE in the first round after she went for the 5th vowel.
I cant believe I missed FAVOURITE and PERSONATE but I did get PALISADE and SUNSHINE and congratulated myself on not guessing INNHOUSES :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I cant believe I missed FAVOURITE and PERSONATE but I did get PALISADE and SUNSHINE and congratulated myself on not guessing INNHOUSES :D
I saw FAVOURITE, but I only came up with PERSONA for round 7. I equalled the contestants with ZEALOTS on round 11, which I think is okay.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

I'm surprised DC (and everyone else so it seems) has missed PALATISED in round 3.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Probably because it isn't in. :P
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

My dictionary gives PALATISE v.t. - to make palatal.

As in palatised consonants.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What dictionary is that?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

It's Chambers, but if you google "palatised consonants" you get loads of hits. They can't all be using a non-existent word. and I've heard it used a number of times before in this context.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The Countdown dictionary is the Oxford Dictionary of English 2nd Edition (revised.) Nothing else matters.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Malcolm James wrote:It's Chambers, but if you google "palatised consonants" you get loads of hits. They can't all be using a non-existent word. and I've heard it used a number of times before in this context.
Then it's one of about a billion words that 'exist' but aren't in the OED.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

If I had offered PALATISED and had it disallowed, I would have been massively aggrieved. Marginal decisions aree one thing, but excluding words which so clearly DO exist and which are in regular use (albeit in a technical sense) is another. It's no good saying "Ah, but the dictionary can't include every word." Given some of the words which are included, excluding words like these is perverse in the extreme.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The words chosen for the ODE are based almost entirely on usage frequency information, so I would suggest that you're just disproportionately exposed to PALATISE. I've never heard of it and I've done some amount of formal linguistics, so it's not ultra-common even within technical circles. Admittedly the ODE corpus clearly has some oddities (eg DEINSTAL) but I wouldn't be too aggrieved by any of them.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

So, let me get this straight. Some US commentator invents LOSINGEST and it's in. PALATISED is a long-established technical word, and it isn't (and I assure you that I haven't been "disproportionately exposed to this word). The ODE needs a serious look at its priorities.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

"Palatised" -> 1180 Google results (about half that for your suggested query)
"Losingest" -> 17800 Google results.

So even by your metric, losingest is 15 times more worthy of inclusion.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Lay off the ODE Malcolm! As Charlie says, the compilers don't decide on a whim whether to include a given word or not - it's based on analysis of the British Reading Corpus which has billions of texts from all contexts, registers etc. I think it's an excellent, well-balanced dictionary - and even if it weren't, I would find your apparent thought process of "my word isn't in ergo the dictionary is rubbish" to be a bit bizarre. Whichever dictionary you used - Oxford, Chambers, whatever - it would exclude some words which some viewers somewhere think should be in. C'est la vie, the rest of us just get on with it, we don't get "massively aggrieved".
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Why is it that people think they know better than the Oxford Corpus?

Maybe their parents don't love them.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Anyway back to the game - today's challenger (sorry, can't remember his name) looks like a goody. He reminds me a lot of series 49 champ John Davies - I imagine he must, like John, have Asperger's or something similar - and is he blind in one eye as well? Before you all come down on me like a ton of bricks, I'm not in any way saying he's less worthy as a contestant for those reasons - quite the opposite in fact.

He really impressed me... ASTOUND (which beat me), PERSONATE and MONETARY were great winners, and he showed he has a lot of flair by going for AEROSOL instead of something like LOOTERS in that round. To whoever said BANDIED was a bad miss by him - well, I missed it as well, and I was sitting at home under no pressure! Ok, he was all at sea on the first two numbers rounds, but he did well on the third and I'm sure he'll improve on the numbers as he gets wins under his belt and gains confidence. I hope he goes on to be an octochamp because he's got the game to do really well.

For the second game in a row, I missed four maxima despite, I thought, not playing all that badly... really tough rounds over the last couple of days. I wouldn't be too worried about doing badly David, I think (I hope) it's temporary for both of us! DC and Carol have been struggling as well, after all...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Think his name was Tim. Didn't catch his surname? How many times did Des O say okey-doke today? I didnt notice anything til Stuart mentioned it but it IS quite annoying after a while! *grinds teeth*
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:How many times did Des O say okey-doke today? I didnt notice anything til Stuart mentioned it but it IS quite annoying after a while! *grinds teeth*
I still haven't noticed it, even after Stuart drew our attention to it...

Edit to say: that said, Des maybe did say one too many times today to the champion, things along the lines of "I think you can still win/not sure if you can still do it/can maybe just about still beat him but you'll have to get everything". He must have said it about four or five times in the space of a few rounds and if I'd been Nichola I might have started to get a bit pissed off...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Julian wrote:Anyway back to the game - today's challenger (sorry, can't remember his name) looks like a goody. He reminds me a lot of series 49 champ John Davies - I imagine he must, like John, have Asperger's or something similar - and is he blind in one eye as well? Before you all come down on me like a ton of bricks, I'm not in any way saying he's less worthy as a contestant for those reasons - quite the opposite in fact.

He really impressed me... ASTOUND (which beat me), PERSONATE and MONETARY were great winners, and he showed he has a lot of flair by going for AEROSOL instead of something like LOOTERS in that round. To whoever said BANDIED was a bad miss by him - well, I missed it as well, and I was sitting at home under no pressure! Ok, he was all at sea on the first two numbers rounds, but he did well on the third and I'm sure he'll improve on the numbers as he gets wins under his belt and gains confidence. I hope he goes on to be an octochamp because he's got the game to do really well.
I was certainly impressed with him on the letters rounds, apart from missing the niner in the opening round. But I feel his numbers ability will let him down. His offerings with round 5 and 10 were certainly not good. 10 was easy, and a much closer solution than he gave in 5 was also easily achievable.

Although I may be wrong, I fear he won't get past seven more contestants. Even I managed to beat him, and I rarely beat anyone who goes on to octochamp status.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

I've had a chance to check the ODE and PALATISED is IN. I withdraw any slurs against the ODE and OUP.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Malcolm James wrote:I've had a chance to check the ODE and PALATISED is IN. I withdraw any slurs against the ODE and OUP.
Sorry but - unless it's in a completely bizarre and un-cross-referenced place - I'm afraid your word definitely isn't in the ODE (2nd edition revised); it wasn't in the NODE either so I don't know where you've been looking - are you getting the ODE confused with the (20-volume) Oxford English Dictionary, or with another Oxford dictionary? Or are you getting PALATISED confused with PALATALISED, which is in the ODE (2nd ed. revised)?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Malcolm James wrote:My dictionary gives PALATISE v.t. - to make palatal.

As in palatised consonants.
This is rather strange as I always thought the word was PALATALISE/PALATALIZE meaning the term from phonetics to make palatal: are we thinking about the word even?

Edit: Whoops, Julian beat me to it. I should read the whole thread before commenting.
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Charlie Reams wrote:"Palatised" -> 1180 Google results (about half that for your suggested query)

Charlie Reams wrote:"Palatised" -> 1180 Google results (about half that for your suggested query)

I can't help but notice WANKSTAIN generates 18,600 hits. A statistical must for the 3rd edition surely.

DC
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
dinos_the_chemist wrote:I cant believe I missed FAVOURITE and PERSONATE but I did get PALISADE and SUNSHINE and congratulated myself on not guessing INNHOUSES :D
I saw FAVOURITE, but I only came up with PERSONA for round 7. I equalled the contestants with ZEALOTS on round 11, which I think is okay.
I haven't seen the show but if you got PERSONA, Joe, then why not PERSONAE. Did you ever watch a young man on Countdown a couple of series ago called Conor. He was quite good at the game and offered PERSONAE when PERSONAS was also there.

Oh, and something which I've noticed Des doing (I've not noticed the okey-dokey thing) is his rubbing of his marking pen crossing out scores after every round - it is sometimes squeaky and makes me cringe as it reminds me of polystyrene.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Didn't the young man think to offer PRESEASON?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I haven't seen the show but if you got PERSONA, Joe, then why not PERSONAE. Did you ever watch a young man on Countdown a couple of series ago called Conor. He was quite good at the game and offered PERSONAE when PERSONAS was also there.
I just didn't think of adding the 'E' to be honest. It happens :).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I haven't seen the show but if you got PERSONA, Joe, then why not PERSONAE. Did you ever watch a young man on Countdown a couple of series ago called Conor. He was quite good at the game and offered PERSONAE when PERSONAS was also there.
I just didn't think of adding the 'E' to be honest. It happens :).
But still PRONATES was there! :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Also don't forget Kirk, at COLIN you tut-tutted because in one of my word rounds I missed ANEROID :oops: (although in that round I could've had ORADINER :roll:). However, I think you also said that HOSPICES was a brilliant spot, so sometimes I can see the words and sometimes I can't. It happens :).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yeah, it's easy to miss words but missing an S or other form of plural is criminal. MARCHES + E or I is an example to make MARCHESE or M ARCHESI - but these are special cases as they're obscure words and not plural of MARCHES, so I've no idea why I mentioned them to be honest.