Spoilers For Monday December 15th 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday December 15th 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, we enter the final stages of this year's competition, and after Caroline's perfect salsa, she is surely the favourite to win now. 8-) 8-) (Oh wait, wrong show. :P )

So, we enter the final stages of this year's competition, and are we in for yet another exciting finish to this series, I wonder...... :?: :?: :?:

No shocks from the first the first 2 quarter-finals, but what will today and tomorrow provide :?: :?

Today's 3rd quarter-final sees the return of the first octochamp of the series, the #3 seed, Tricia "The Dunsford Daemon" Pay, taking on the only octochamp whose average score is under 100 (albeit by 0.75 points. :P ), the #6 seed, Laurence "The Belfast Blitzer" Killen.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, No.3 Seed Tricia "The Dunsford Daemon" Pay - 8 Wins, 857 Points. (Average: 107.13)
Highest Score: 119 vs. David Parsons (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 96 vs. Dave Nicholson (8th Game)
9's Achieved: 3/4
Total Points/Max/%: 857/1016 (84%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 523/616 (85%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 264/320 (83%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/80 (88%)

Secondly, No.6 Seed Laurence "The Belfast Blitzer" Killen - 8 Wins, 794 Points. (Average: 99.25)
Highest Score: 118 vs. Jamie Jardine (1st Game)
Lowest Score: 79 vs. Alex Davies (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 0/6
Total Points/Max/%: 794/1020 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 463/636 (73%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 281/304 (92%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/80 (63%)

Making his regular Countdown début this week is the bearded half of Baddiel & Skinner, David Baddiel.

Join Andy for the recap later. ;) :) :D
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers For Monday December 15th 2014

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Simon all the way, James.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I thought they changed it so the higher seed went first. I guess with the new format it is not so important and they toss again? Messed up my score sheet.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

FLORUITS in R5
Sfumato soup
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Bradley Cates wrote:FLORUITS in R5
Think they'd disallow floruits, Bradley. Not sure though, can't keep up.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
FLORUIT with the S/ED were explicitly mentioned in Countdown guidelines as being unacceptable after a barrage of angry letters from viewers during 30th BC saying it was grammatically incorrect. However FLORUITING/FLORUITED are cited in the examples underneath the ODO entry, so as I understand it, it would be acceptable on the show. (See also: SOLMISATE - only SOLMIZATE is specified, but SOLMISATE is in the examples so would be recognised as valid.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

It's only an equaller but I like the word ANTHEMIC, and it was in R12
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Is that the first time we've had the three-vowel rule enacted on screen?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Is that the first time we've had the three-vowel rule enacted on screen?
No.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
I'm aware of the controversy surrounding the word FLORUIT, but isn't it a noun as well as verb? So you can pluralise it?
Sfumato soup
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Apterous allows it. Zarte even played it yesterday.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Tony Atkins wrote:I thought they changed it so the higher seed went first. I guess with the new format it is not so important and they toss again? Messed up my score sheet.
The higher seed does go first, Tricia asked to be in the challenger's chair for reasons unknown (no rumours please)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

For all that's been said about Tricia in the past, I thought that game seemed to be played in the best of spirits - in fact if anything, I would say she came across better than Laurence did.

I wonder whether if, now her run has come to an end, she'll appear either on here or Apterous (or even at a Co:Event).
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Apterous allows it. Zarte even played it yesterday.
Apterous allowing a word is not a universal indicator of it being valid. I've played PAINEDEST on Apterous, but I wouldn't try getting it past Susie.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Great game! Tricia was always the person I thought would win bracket 2, and her octorun was definitely one of the best EVER. Obviously well played to Laurence but I do think on any other day Tricia would've taken it (especially considering the smallest possible winning margin.) Will be interesting to see how Laurence and Antoinette fair against eachother... :shock:

P.S: When I met Tricia she was great company and she has very justifiable reasons for being slightly demanding, so perhaps instead of grabbing easy laughs and attention, people could just keep to themselves this time round. :)
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Bradley Cates wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:
I'm aware of the controversy surrounding the word FLORUIT, but isn't it a noun as well as verb? So you can pluralise it?
Yeah, think you're right
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Well that was unexpected.

I didn't see Tricia's octorun, but read all the spoiler threads during it and looked at her games on the Wiki. Obviously the 'cheating scandal' overshadowed how she actually did, but I was really impressed by her performances and IMO she was the second strongest player in the series (I mean, just look at her stats). It's a real shame she clearly wasn't playing to the best of her ability today (APOSTATE aside), but she came across completely fine - not at all the character I'd come to expect after everything I'd read and heard. Feel pretty bad for her to be honest, losing by 1 point under any circumstance must be the most heartbreaking way to go out. Though credit to Laurence for a solid performance.

I've also heard that Tricia had an operation scheduled for the week after the finals, so regardless of your feelings on her, I'd hope everyone wishes her a speedy recovery. Get well soon! :)
Last edited by Jennifer Steadman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Well done Laurence for making the semi finals. A good performance there.
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I've also heard that Tricia had an operation scheduled for the week after the finals, so regardless of your feelings on her, I'd hope everyone wishes her a speedy recovery. Get well soon! :)
I also wish Tricia a speedy recovery from her operation.
mark b davies
Rookie

Post by mark b davies »

Nice to see Tricia getting some credit for being a good player. She said on the first day there how upset she was about what had been written on the forums about her.
I was really surprised at her not going for something other than one large in the last numbers game though, knowing how competent she is at the numbers rounds.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good contest, well done to both players. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Pryn wrote:The higher seed does go first, Tricia asked to be in the challenger's chair for reasons unknown (no rumours please)
Easier to cheat?
George Pryn wrote:so perhaps instead of grabbing easy laughs and attention, people could just keep to themselves this time round. :)
Oh. But you did set it up.

But seriously whatever I or anyone might have said at any point about anyone, Tricia was a top player and could easily have been the number two seed and would have done a decent job in the final.

And well played to both players today.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Excellent game today..very exciting. I was rooting for Tricia as I feel she has been victimised on this website by a minority and she played amazingly throughout her Octorun. She was certainly not given enough credit for her ability and apostate was a fantastic spot today. I feel sad that Tricia was upset looking at comments throughout her earlier games, but is it any wonder with some of the comments and unfounded accusations people made.This is why I wish people would not get personal and think before commenting.

I am also glad to see the positive feedback on the game today and I really hope everything went well with the op.I know of Tricia within the scrabble circle and everyone is sending their regards

Laurence really stepped up his game today and put on a very impressive display. Really well done to him. I do have to support Antoinette in the Semi Final of the Irish north vs south though.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I think the reason Tricia was given the challengers chair was related to a lack of mobility in one of her arms, to make it easier to pass her papers over. I'm not entirely sure on that, though.

Well done to Laurence for pulling off a great victory. It wasn't Tricia's best of games but she's been a great contestant overall. I too found her a nice enough person, so I think she deserves to be remembered for her performances and not the controversy, which has been completely overhyped on such little evidence. I'm glad people are focusing more on the game today and I hope it stays this way.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

R11 was an interesting case where the 3-vowel rule felt unduly restrictive - the letters would have been perfectly fruitful even with a 7th consonant, and indeed the only final letter that would have given a nine was a consonant.

Good game today, and congrats to Laurence for rising to the challenge and pulling off an impressive win. Tricia seemed very gracious and pleasant despite a narrow defeat which she must surely have felt she could have avoided - quite a contrast to the caricature of her that some on here seemed intent on convincing themselves of. Very sorry (but not surprised) to hear that she was hurt by what was said, and I'd like to echo the best wishes to her following her operation.
Last edited by Innis Carson on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

George Pryn wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:I thought they changed it so the higher seed went first. I guess with the new format it is not so important and they toss again? Messed up my score sheet.
The higher seed does go first, Tricia asked to be in the challenger's chair for reasons unknown (no rumours please)
I would have thought it would be so she had the choice of picking something other than one large if she was 11 behind going into R14. But apparently not.

Good game today. Strong play by both.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Love all the posts lambasting posters (such as me, presumably) for earlier comments which needn't have got a mention following today's game.

+1 for good wishes for Tricia's operation and recovery. Even I stop short of wishing death on people who rankle me slightly on TV :roll:
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Jon Corby wrote:Love all the posts lambasting posters (such as me, presumably) for earlier comments which needn't have got a mention following today's game.
She said on the first day there how upset she was about what had been written on the forums about her.
I feel that there was very much a need for it to be said!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Murray wrote:I feel that there was very much a need for it to be said!
Why? If it upset her the first time around, why not let it pass without dragging it all up again, since nothing contentious happened in this episode? (hey, maybe she responded to feedback?)

I mean, if people are going to keep going "boo! how could you say mean stuff about Tricia, she was fine today!" then I'm probably eventually going to feel the need to explain what was said and why, aren't I?
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mark Murray wrote:I feel that there was very much a need for it to be said!
Why? If it upset her the first time around, why not let it pass without dragging it all up again, since nothing contentious happened in this episode? (hey, maybe she responded to feedback?)

I mean, if people are going to keep going "boo! how could you say mean stuff about Tricia, she was fine today!" then I'm probably eventually going to feel the need to explain what was said and why, aren't I?
That is the point. It did upset her. I am fully aware of the accusations that were levelled at Tricia in her earlier games and i don't think anyone needs reminding of them either, especially as they were unfounded, far fetched and quite ridiculous. That was before her attitude and whatever else was being commented on and judged. If it means people have a conscience and care about upsetting people, than fantastic. feedback on how that person felt should be commented on, whether people like it or not. So it really isn't to do whether or not you perceived contentiousness on the show today or not. It is more to do with the fact that people who don't know Tricia nor her situation have upset her. But, ultimately Jon, you do what you want. Just don't expect everyone to see your point of view!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Right, well I'm not going to retract anything I said about Tricia just because it upset her. I mean, I'm not stupid, it's obvious that she's not going to like reading it, and there was always a chance she could read it. But if it upsets you that somebody points out that it's poor form to go hunting for your opponent's word after hearing their declaration, don't do it. If it upsets you that people think it's out-of-order to use a retake to try and correct your own misdeclaration, don't do it. Even somebody countering my opinion that she came across as quite rude described her as "brusque" FFS.

Still, it's great that we're having this conversation again here, I'm sure it's just what she would have wanted after today's show.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I enjoy ochre paint
Jon Corby wrote: Me too
Ok so perhaps my post was quite prejudgey, I wasn't a fully fledged forumite when Tricia's run aired so please don't take it personally. Other than the (I presume) meteor-faced cavedweller Jordan Leckonby there isn't really a person that I dislike on here, however the general feel from apterous and from people's mouths at the finals was that Tricia was slandered on here for reasons that may or may not be justified, and so in my childish nature (Yes, I am using my age as justification. Everyone does it.) I thought I would send a message to those perhaps wanting to make a few hoodlums chuckle, as it wouldn't have been funny. I never meant this in direction to you, Jon and Gevin, as your posts are always - as well as being extremely elegant - only made when they are justified and have sufficient backing from the rest of the aptosphere.

As for the real criminals that my post was actually pointed at, be you a netflix horse or a continent collector, please take a page out of Jon's and Gevin's books and only post when you honestly believe that your comment(s) will not cause an unjustified offensive upset towards anybody, as there really is no need for it. Positivity is a vital cog needed to power this beautifully dangerous machine that we call "discussing the performance of Countdown contestants".

Disclaimer: If you believe that this post is in any way sarcastically presented, you are wrong.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

FLORUIT is listed as a noun, so FLORUITS would have to be accepted. And saying that FLORUITED should be disallowed because it is already past tense in Latin is applying Latin grammar to English!
Callum P

Post by Callum P »

George Pryn wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: I enjoy ochre paint
Jon Corby wrote: Me too
Ok so perhaps my post was quite prejudgey, I wasn't a fully fledged forumite when Tricia's run aired so please don't take it personally. Other than the (I presume) meteor-faced cavedweller Jordan Leckonby there isn't really a person that I dislike on here, however the general feel from apterous and from people's mouths at the finals was that Tricia was slandered on here for reasons that may or may not be justified, and so in my childish nature (Yes, I am using my age as justification. Everyone does it.) I thought I would send a message to those perhaps wanting to make a few hoodlums chuckle, as it wouldn't have been funny. I never meant this in direction to you, Jon and Gevin, as your posts are always - as well as being extremely elegant - only made when they are justified and have sufficient backing from the rest of the aptosphere.

As for the real criminals that my post was actually pointed at, be you a netflix horse or a continent collector, please take a page out of Jon's and Gevin's books and only post when you honestly believe that your comment(s) will not cause an unjustified offensive upset towards anybody, as there really is no need for it. Positivity is a vital cog needed to power this beautifully dangerous machine that we call "discussing the performance of Countdown contestants".

Disclaimer: If you believe that this post is in any way sarcastically presented, you are wrong.
Netflix horses are cool guys, so I heard.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Well done Laurence but I think Tricia made it a bit easier by not being on her very best form. I'm sorry that she read some of the earlier comments on here and glad that I put up such a robust defence of her. I wish her well in her recovering from her operation. Looking forward to the Irish showdown!
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Why the correctness of FLORUITS and FLORUITED has ever been doubted is beyond me.