Spoilers for FRIDAY 21st November!!!!!!

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

George Pryn
Acolyte

Spoilers for FRIDAY 21st November!!!!!!

Post by George Pryn »

Yes, you are not mistaken, it is reality, today's date is the TWENTY FIRST of November! With only 40 days left of 2014, it's time to reflect on some of the more memorable games of this year.

Series 70 was an entertaining series which gave a variety of apterites - Ciaran Crawley, Brett Davids, Samir Pilica and Mark Murray in particular - a chance to shine. IMO the two most memorable preliminary games of the series were both in Mark Murray's octorun; his first 115-96 win against the very strong Bobby Johnson, managing to grasp a win even after Bobby's incredible spot of SIMPLETON. For Mark to win that game under first game nerves was incredible, and from this moment I think we all knew we had a champion on our hands. The second was Mark's 120-104 win against much loved apterite Ciaran McCarthy, this game made for excellent viewing, however I think we were all expecting these two to meet in the final stages of the series, rather than the preliminaries. The finals made for great watching too, as we saw Samir Pilica fly all the way into the semi finals with English not even being his first language, and the favourite to win since day one Mark Murray emerging victorious.

Then a moment in Countdown history, as the dictionary is SCRAPPED! (Insider knowledge: the dictionary is actually underneath Dictionary Corner's desk, and hasn't been brutally incinerated as we all thought) In it's place stands a swanky laptop with the ODO 'installed', which is Countdown's new dictionary of reference.

Series 71 has shown us plenty of non-apterite talent, in particular the magnificent performance of Tricia Pay and Mark Davies in their back-to-back octoruns, and the more recent, and newfound apterite, Laurence Killen. It's also important to note Jason Turner's performance, scoring a total of 307 points over just 3 games is extremely impressive, and he would've made the finals without a doubt if he hadn't had to face Tricia. Tricia's 100-82 win over Jason was actually one of the closest contests I've ever witnessed on Countdown and made for remarkable viewing. There was another talent clash later in the series beginning with Jamie Ilett-Jones' incredible debut score of 129 - a tied record. He went on to be eradicated by Farhan Ahmed in another close contest, who was then eradicated by Paul Worsley. An unfortunate, yet entertaining, clash. Also worth noting is Jonny Rye's brilliant performance in his 3 games, before controversially losing after having the word HEADWAYS disallowed. This has since been recognised as a mistake by Countdown, and he will be invited back for the next series.

The series finals are shaping up to be extremely competitive, with 5 octochamps already preparing for the battle. With Antoinette Ryan still to appear and Eddy's game(s) to come, we could easily be seeing two additions to the finals lineup in the form of these two apterites.

The finalists, whoever they turn out to be, will have an undoubted tough time in any case, as they'll have to fend off the Countdown tornado that is Dan McColm. If his octorun is anything to go by, in particular his record breaking 137 with only one nine available, he'll be extremely tough competition and is easily the favourite to win the elusive dictionary set.

Join someone for the recap of (hopefully) another brilliant performance by Eddy here, and enjoy the show. :D
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for FRIDAY 21st November!!!!!!

Post by Peter Mabey »

WIDENESS to beat INSIDES
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Peter Mabey wrote:WIDENESS to beat INSIDES
Wasn't there only one E and two I (and one U)?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

OOPS :oops:
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt last numbers (25+1)x2x10+3 - Eddy must be kicking himself all the way back to Dublin after messing that one!
I struggled too with that show - going for invalid LEANISH in the first round for instance and getting excited
that ZORILLAS was there when there was no A!
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Sad loss for Eddy, very unlucky about the last numbers, I imagine it can't be easy up there live.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

How come people from Ireland are allowed on Countdown? It's not part of the UK.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Loving the thread openings from you George- especially this one! :D

Wow- what an unlucky end - gutting numbers rounds especially as Eddy would have been safe despite the conundrum solve from the opponent
Johnny Canuck wrote:How come people from Ireland are allowed on Countdown? It's not part of the UK.
Well Northern Ireland is part of UK though of course, lots of Republic of Ireland contestants get on.. Cant see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed, especially as the expenses on flying from Dublin to Manchester is cheaper than train fares from some parts of UK to manchester (and I speak from experience on the cost of my train ticket costing more than flying my mum over from Dublin to be in the audience)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mark Murray wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:How come people from Ireland are allowed on Countdown? It's not part of the UK.
Well Northern Ireland is part of UK though of course, lots of Republic of Ireland contestants get on.. Cant see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed, especially as the expenses on flying from Dublin to Manchester is cheaper than train fares from some parts of UK to manchester (and I speak from experience on the cost of my train ticket costing more than flying my mum over from Dublin to be in the audience)
I can also easily see why they should be allowed, but the application form here states that all contestants must be UK residents, and from my own experience (tried to apply some time ago), this rule is in full force.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

That Whitehall is a useless old shit in Dictionary Corner. Susie desperately looks for him to say something in every round, and if she's lucky he'll read out one word she's written down and that's it. Fucking toss. His son's a cunt as well.

By contrast, Kate Garraway was excellent last week.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Not enough new players are applying, so the entry rules have been relaxed both in terms of making return appearances on the show, and in terms of geographical location.

That might be bollocks, but it wouldn't surprise me. And the show has benefitted from it, if that's the case. Unless it ends up like 15 to 1, where the same guys seemed to play each other every series.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:That Whitehall is a useless old shit in Dictionary Corner. Susie desperately looks for him to say something in every round, and if she's lucky he'll read out one word she's written down and that's it. Fucking toss. His son's a cunt as well.

Really? I quite like some of his stories, whereas Garraway came across as a generic morning sofa nobody.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm not talking about the stories, I'm talking about involvement in the rest of the show.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm not talking about the stories, I'm talking about involvement in the rest of the show.
I definitely preferred Louise Minchin to Michael Whitehall in dictionary corner in my prelims.. Louise was a lot warmer and she engaged with contestants whereas Michael didnt!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Wonder why Edward had to go first in the 2nd numbers round when he didn't say he hadn't written it down - unless that bit was editted.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

Yes I was really kicking myself about the numbers, gutted. It was a really scrappy game. I hope that even with one win I will be allowed to apply again in a few years.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Jon Corby wrote:That Whitehall is a useless old shit in Dictionary Corner. Susie desperately looks for him to say something in every round, and if she's lucky he'll read out one word she's written down and that's it. Fucking toss. His son's a cunt as well.

Unfortunately his son will be on the next series of Catsdown. Although I mmight watch just to see the tw*t embarrass himself
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....