Spoilers for Monday 3rd November 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Spoilers for Monday 3rd November 2014

Post by Jack Worsley »

Yesterday, Countdown celebrated its 32nd birthday, so let's hope we will have a show to remember today. In fact, it looks like we're going to as George Ford aims to become the fourth octochamp of the series. He's already assured of a place in the series finals (which are filmed tomorrow and Wednesday) but I'm sure he'll want to go out on a high. It's shaping up to be a high quality series, so he'll be aiming to finish as high up the leader board as possible.

He may not have it all his own way, though, as apterite Tom Pettinger could give him a stern test. Will get the octochamp status that his performances have deserved or will Tom ruin the party?

Today is the last day with John Inverdale, as Sian Williams takes over tomorrow.

Join Andy for the recap later. :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Monday 3rd November 2014

Post by Tony Atkins »

DINKUM in R1
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Also INDIUM
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

DONNEES in round 4
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Jack Worsley wrote:DONNEES in round 4
I had SEVEN but that was only a five.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I think for the Q-route in R7 you can get REQUINTO as an alt 8.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Shame Tom came up against George - he would normally be expected to win a few - but well done to our 4L expert!
CO-MSO every August
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Very well done George :)

I feel a bit bad for Tom who could have been an octochamp in his own right, being put against George, but I guess you win some you lose some.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

YES GEORGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Very well done on octochampdom! You've come up with some great stuff (four large especially ;) ) and have been really good fun to watch. See you at the finals tomorrow... or will I? :?: ;)

Credit to Tom for making it a reasonably close game and not letting your head drop after the third numbers game. A mistake like that is so simple to make under studio conditions. Unlucky to come up against George, as I 'm sure you'd have a great shot at octochampdom yourself on another week. I hope you get another chance soon.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good spirited game, well done chaps. :) Many congrats George on becoming an octochamp, a good set of games there. 8-)
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Congratulations, probably the most entertaining octorun I've seen for a long while.

Unlucky there were so few 9s available in your run, you could possibly have ended up a little higher in the seedings (from recollection, I think Tricia and Mark had a more typical set of games in that regard).
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!

I dont mind the lack of 9s (am I right in thinking there was only ONE??) because I could've had a few more if I was better at the picking heheh...

SO EXCITED FOR THE FINALS AHHHH!!! I didn't expect a single win so it's just absolutely brilliant :D
mark b davies
Rookie

Post by mark b davies »

Congratulations George. Really enjoyed your Octorun. See you there tomorrow. Some really good players in the finals so it should be great fun.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

mark b davies wrote:Congratulations George. Really enjoyed your Octorun. See you there tomorrow. Some really good players in the finals so it should be great fun.
I AM SO EXCITED MY WHOLE FACE HURTS!!!!!!!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game, great run and the knock-out stages are shaping up to be pretty good.
Jack Worsley wrote:Credit to Tom for making it a reasonably close game and not letting your head drop after the third numbers game. A mistake like that is so simple to make under studio conditions. Unlucky to come up against George, as I 'm sure you'd have a great shot at octochampdom yourself on another week. I hope you get another chance soon.
Yeah, definitely a good game from Tom as well. It took me quite a while to get the 459 as well. With 4 large there's often lots of potential ways to go so even if there's a simple way it's not always that easy to find. As George proved with that 795 the other day!!! (Which was easier I thought)
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

well done George- great Octorun- Amazing number solutions..it is going to be a tough finals tomorrow....good luck to all contestants..glad am not in this series finals :)
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Just caught up with this. Well done on a great octorun and hope you (and everyone else involved) enjoys and does well in the finals. Just a pity there weren't so many nines available
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just come up from my sickbed to comment. Very well done, George. I look forward to seeing you in the finals, could certainly make it a very intriguing contest........ :roll: ;) :) :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Tony Atkins wrote:I think for the Q-route in R7 you can get REQUINTO as an alt 8.
Nice anagram.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Congratulations George on a very memorable octorun, most entertaining and littered with brilliant 4-large solutions (okay, you got lucky with the target on some, and some were just showboating, but not all - I think the 814 was my favourite!)

Unlucky on Tom today as he looked a very decent player. I also thought it was a bit harsh of Nick/Rachel to rub it in when he didn't get 459, they're only easy if you go the right route! A 51 x 9 solution (or starting 75 x 6 as they were both in the selection) might occupy your time, and thirty seconds goes bloody quick if you think "well I got 460, so I better write that down before I look for anything else in case I forget how I did it".
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

thx !!!!!! to all !!!!!!