Spoilers For Monday October 13th 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday October 13th 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, it's time to see Dan McColm once again, and hopefully he'll be the 3rd octochamp of the series at the end of the week. :D (Or he could've been, had there not been horse racing on Friday........ :( )

But, let's see if he can at least make half-octochampdom today. He will have a tough game today against fellow Apterite, John Vivian, I'm sure. 8-)

Richard Arnold takes over in DC today.

Join Andy for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Monday October 13th 2014

Post by Dan McColm »

I threw up due to nerves before this episode, hence the VOMITED comment
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd numbers alt :

((25 x 6) + (10 - 3)) x (5 + 1)
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Apologies for the "Just a 6 I'm afraid"
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Dan McColm wrote:I threw up due to nerves before this episode, hence the VOMITED comment
Sorry to hear! Thought you looked a bit pale and thought the jacket might be to cover up a stain....
Great score, despite giving me a chance to beat you by missing the getable 8 and 9.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Oh and I forgot that if you have PIROGI and PEROGI then there is a 7 beater (round 12).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

They're all gettable if you know they're there :) I actually picked a vowel to protect CONATIVE, and mentally ended the round early, so didn't even give myself the chance to spot the 9. Turns out picking a vowel to protect it is not a smart move, because a final I would also have given a 9. I actually made a joke about the standard method in this episode but it was cut out!
John Vivian

Post by John Vivian »

Well, that was me. I normally play a bit better than that online, but it was genuinely consoling knowing that even if I'd played to my best I probably wouldn't have beaten Dan (I would've been disappointed to play like that and lose to a mediocre opponent).
In terms of those two disallowed words, in the UNISEX round, I only had 5's and knew I probably needed a 6 to score so tried the dodgy 7 I was pretty sure I'd just made up (may have been thinking of EXPIATE or something similar). In the GIRLIE round, I wrote down the G as a C! And so was about to play COLLIER, then realised my mistake with seconds to go and panicked. I guess you do funny things under the studio lights.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Tony Atkins wrote:Oh and I forgot that if you have PIROGI and PEROGI then there is a 7 beater (round 12).
Spelling PIEROGI in OED online for 7.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Dan, what was your way of getting 143 in one of the numbers rounds? I misheard what was said.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Well done again, Dan. Unlucky John, you played well and would have had a good chance of stringing a few wins together on another week. Don't be disappointed with your performance, it is much harder in the studio than at home or online.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Dan, what was your way of getting 143 in one of the numbers rounds? I misheard what was said.
I did 100+8+7*5
John Vivian

Post by John Vivian »

Thanks Jack. Yes, perhaps I was being a bit self-critical. It was a great experience anyway, and I'd recommend giving it a go to anyone. The team were great and did their best to settle any nerves.
I also wasn't expecting to meet so many apto-forumites in the studio! It was great to meet some of the folks I'd been playing online and put faces to names.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Dan McColm wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:Dan, what was your way of getting 143 in one of the numbers rounds? I misheard what was said.
I did 100+8+7*5
Ah cheers.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Unlucky for John to come up against Dan. You came across really well anyway (John) and glad you enjoyed it which was evident with your regular smiling. Always worth a risk, especially when someone says, "Just a six i'm afraid" which may make you think there would be a seven there. As Jack says, another week you could have been a multiple winner.

Well done Dan. Halfway there.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Dan McColm wrote:I actually made a joke about the standard method in this episode but it was cut out!
Yeah, I was hoping that would stay in, cos I couldn't see how they could cut that out, but they just about got away with it......... :P

WHENUA in round 2 and TRILOGY in round 13.

3rd Numbers Alt.: (((25 + 6) x 10) + 5 - 1) x 3 = 942
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:3rd numbers alt :

((25 x 6) + (10 - 3)) x (5 + 1)
I did it this way too - it was almost like doing a 6s.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)