Spoilers for Friday July 25th 2014 (S71 P18)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Friday July 25th 2014 (S71 P18)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joyce Phillips wrote:6) THIS is what I really want to get across: to go on an open forum and accuse someone of cheating on such flimsy evidence is, to use someone else's description, bloody rude.
I think people have gone over the top with this. It's one thing to suggest it as a possibility, but these have been outright accusations.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Great points well made Joyce! I also don't think it is nice to accuse someone of cheating on such flimsy evidence.. I am sure the Countdown Team would deal with any areas on the show where underhand tactics are being used and I am very confident that this is not the case here. Besides, I can attest that Tricia Pay is a great Scrabble player with plenty of integrity.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joyce Phillips wrote:Tricia is a bit brusque, but not rude.
Well, brusque *is* actually rude. But anyway, just to clear this up, I find her rude - I can't even necessarily pin exactly why, but it's just the impression I have of her. My last post about deliberate pre-planned cheating was a joke. I don't think she has cheated, but I do find it exceptionally rude that she seizes on the chance to thoroughly examine her opponent's paper while not even offering hers when she clearly should. That spells out quite a lot, to me at least.

That said, I'm just catching up after my holiday, and in a later show (SPOLIER ALERT) she has now just blatantly gone searching for a longer word upon hearing her opponent's declaration. It's a real pet hate of mine and while some (many?) on here have defended it as being "allowed under the rules", I call it cheating. Whatever you want to call it, it says a lot to me about her attitude.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

I'm afraid I agree with Corby,

Can't put my finger on it but I took an instant dislike to her and found her very tough to watch.

I don't like it when people clearly look for a longer word when declaring second, I remember when I offered my nine I could see my opponent frantically scanning the selection for the 9 but luckily didn't find it. He still beat me though :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Stitcher wrote:Can't put my finger on it but I took an instant dislike to her and found her very tough to watch.
I definitely didn't take an instant dislike to her, that really would suggest it was just based on prejudices, you massive racist. In fact I definitely recall thinking her first game was awesome.