Spoilers for Tuesday July 15th 2014 (S71 P10)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday July 15th 2014 (S71 P10)

Post by Jordan F »

Apterite Ian Linton got a second win yesterday, along with the first century of the series. Can he get a third today?

Join Callum for the recap later.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday July 15th 2014 (S71 P10)

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

:lol: "Lord" Damen.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
John Vivian

Post by John Vivian »

PHONATE an alt 7 in R5, and MAESTRO another in R8. Shame to see Ian slightly off form today.
People say learning stems in an ineffective way of improving, but that was how I was able to spot the 9 in R12 (ASTEROID+V)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

DEMIREP in round 13.

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((7 + 1) x 10) + 75 = 155

Shame that Ian has gone, I thought he'd win at least 5, but there you go.......... :roll:
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

James Robinson wrote:Shame that Ian has gone, I thought he'd win at least 5, but there you go.......... :roll:
All the best people win 2 games.... Damen sounds a bit Australian - has he been on their version of the show, I wonder?

My other alts were SPANDREL in R4 and BORAGE in R10.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

I have always thought 18 points is too big a reward for getting a 9 letter word,12 points would be fairer (I know it's a bit late to change it now!)
I reckon Damen got lucky today, with DEVIATORS more or less winning it for him, I certainly would'nt be in any hurry to back him to be an octochamp, judging by today's performance.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I have always thought 18 points is too big a reward for getting a 9 letter word,12 points would be fairer (I know it's a bit late to change it now!)
You and Gevin should get together, you'd have a lot to talk about.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I have always thought 18 points is too big a reward for getting a 9 letter word,12 points would be fairer (I know it's a bit late to change it now!)
I reckon Damen got lucky today, with DEVIATORS more or less winning it for him, I certainly would'nt be in any hurry to back him to be an octochamp, judging by today's performance.
Even if nines were worth nine points, Damen would still have won today's game. That niner did not win the game for him alone. And even if it did, that doesn't mean he got lucky. Spotting a nine, or any word for that matter, isn't luck. It's what the game is about. Damen won the game not because he got lucky but because he played really well and deserved to win. I don't think we should cheapen his achievement, and especially not do so on incorrect grounds. Don't get me wrong; Ian was great. But so was Damen and we shouldn't take that away from him. Hell, we have no reason to take it away from him.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

When I stated Damen had gotten "lucky", it was due to his opponent, Ian, for whatever reason, playing nowhere near as well, as he had done on Monday.
Damen can now prove me wrong by hammering his next 7 opponents!
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with getting lucky!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

If Damen hadn't won then what I wrote yesterday about Katie would have applied to him, in other words it's a shame he came up against Ian. As it turned out, it's a shame Ian came up against Damen. Guess he was about 6 programmes too late.