Spoilers For Monday June 30th 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday June 30th 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, we're back from the joy of seeing Mark Murray win the Series 70 final on Friday, and we're straight in with Series 71 now.

James Wall is our returning champion, having won the last 3 preliminaries of the last series, which of course means that he could be the first octochamp of the series, if he wins every show this week.

Jon Culshaw will be in DC from today until Wednesday, before Griff Rhys Jones takes over on Thursday.

And don't forget, DC will look a bit different today, as the dictionary has now gone, and Susie will be using a laptop equipped with the Oxford Dictionary Online in it. 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Join Andy for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers For Monday June 30th 2014

Post by Bradley Cates »

PHONEME in R1
Sfumato soup
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Bradley Cates wrote:PHONEME in R1
CHEAPEN too.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I got PACEMEN.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

REGALISM in R5
Sfumato soup
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Rachel showed one of the harder ways to the 2nd numbers.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

SOLVATE as alt in R7
CO-MSO every August
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

R9 alt: (75 + (6 x 2 + 1)) x 3
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:R9 alt: (75 + (6 x 2 + 1)) x 3
or 4x66
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Not sure I liked the post-production webpage insert - not as nice as the pencam shots.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

OBSIDIAN must be spot of the day - only 6s otherwise there.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Does 6 out of 8 words rejected set a record?

7s available in R13.
CO-MSO every August
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Last numbers : 9 x 8 x 4 x 3
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I see the "dictionary engineer" is still listed in the credits so presumably the gallery have had an upgrade to the program
to include all the new words from the online version - or do they still have the ODE3 version and have to
argue with Susie whether a word is invalid or not?
CO-MSO every August
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

OBSIDIAN was a fantastic spot.

p.s. is it just me, but a big part of the show for me was the countdown dictionary. I hate the laptop. It looks awful.

In case anyone from the Coundown Team is watching this, please please please bring back the dictionary!!! Pretty please?
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

John Garcia wrote:OBSIDIAN was a fantastic spot.

p.s. is it just me, but a big part of the show for me was the countdown dictionary. I hate the laptop. It looks awful.

In case anyone from the Countdown Team is watching this, please please please bring back the dictionary!!! Pretty please?
I'm sorry, but I too was not impressed with the readability of the screen shot of the online dictionary.

Mauro
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:R9 alt: (75 + (6 x 2 + 1)) x 3
or 4x66
Or 6 + 9 - 2 for the 13.

To me it looked a bit strange having Susie sat there and us not being able to see what she was looking at. She could have been playing games or doing Rachel's shopping for all we knew. I'm not sure it would help if we had the same view as her either. Assuming it will change in the next 30 years, I tried to imagine a clip from today's edition on YouTube in 2044 - this is how it used to be done :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

OBSIDIAN makes Tricia Blatherwick an early contender for spot of the series, as well as best surname of the series.
John Garcia wrote:p.s. is it just me, but a big part of the show for me was the countdown dictionary. I hate the laptop. It looks awful.

In case anyone from the Coundown Team is watching this, please please please bring back the dictionary!!! Pretty please?
Tony Atkins wrote:Not sure I liked the post-production webpage insert - not as nice as the pencam shots.
szodiac wrote:I'm sorry, but I too was not impressed with the readability of the screen shot of the online dictionary.
Seeing Susie with a laptop rather than a dictionary is something we'll get used to very quickly. When those white-on-blue score displays were introduced last year they looked unusual at first just because we weren't used to them, but after a couple of weeks nobody cared.

I'm totally in favour of using the online dictionary, and it was completely the right decision. However, I have to agree that the screenshot of the entry for DIORITE didn't look right at all. What I mean is that it was noticeably vertically stretched, and the text was too small and faint. That's not a reason to switch back to the paper dictionary, though. It's just a case of tinkering with the text size/browser width/etc.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I think the laptop was eased in quite well, although I agree the screenshot was a bit off. Would it not be possible to just bring back the pencam and focus it on the laptop screen rather than a dictionary page?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Callum Todd wrote:I think the laptop was eased in quite well, although I agree the screenshot was a bit off. Would it not be possible to just bring back the pencam and focus it on the laptop screen rather than a dictionary page?
Maybe Susie should have a printer on the desk too, then she can print out the page, and then put the pencam on it. Would be much clearer, and small deskjet printers would be easily capable of printing out a plain page of monochrome text quick enough not to interrupt the flow of the programme too much.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tony Atkins wrote:
I got PACEMEN.
PENCAM in that round!
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Not sure what happened there with the DIORITE screenshot. It didn't look like that when inserted in post-production. We'll get our technical bods to investigate.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Could the dictionary (and pen-cam?) be given to the DC guest rather than with Susie? The vast majority of words will still be in the book, and presumably from time to time a new version of the book becomes available.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Keith Bennett wrote:Could the dictionary (and pen-cam?) be given to the DC guest rather than with Susie? The vast majority of words will still be in the book, and presumably from time to time a new version of the book becomes available.
No, that would create a weird disparity. In this instance better to go cold turkey rather than cling on to the past.
It could never just be for pencam presentational methods either, which is what you mean I guess, as having the dictionary there would just mean contestants start asking for things to be double-checked if the laptop says no, etc. etc.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Doesn't the printed dictionary go into much more detail than the free online one regarding the origins of words? Obviously this isn't an issue affecting the game itself, but it might make Susie's explanations of the more uncommon words less interesting.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Updates to the full 20-volume OED will only be made to the electronic version (available by subscription or at public libraries) - to judge by the occasional screenshots, this isn't what Susie is using (as it includes all historic variant spellings and obsolete words it would be quite inappropriate for Countdown anyhow).