Spoilers For Monday March 31st 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday March 31st 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, another week of Countdown-ing is about to begin, and after having 5 different winners last week, can we expect the same this week :?: Well, the simple answer is no, mainly because thanks to the wisdom of horse racing organisers and Channel 4 programme schedulers, Countdown is only on 3 times this week.

Ann Robinson is doing the Robinson name proud after an impressive GRAPHEME-inspired win on Friday. Can she make it back-to-back wins today :?:

Colin Murray will be in DC for all 3 days this week, before finishing his stint next Monday. 8-)

Andy will be recapping for us later on. ;) :) :D
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Monday March 31st 2014

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

((50+6)*9)-9
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

I thought Trevor said MORTARED, which not only is missing an R but is also an 8. Did I not hear his word clearly?
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Blimey, what a comeback!!! Ul trevor, he seemed good at first.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

I don't know my Countdown history, but was that one of the biggest comebacks on the show in terms of points ever? Certainly seems like the biggest in the Hewer era, though I'm not certain.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

I think I got my first ever 13-max that game - unless there was a 7 in the TAIPAN round. (Jordan I thought the same too - but I think he said MOTORED which would make more sense)

Great comeback - how many behind was that from?
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

I think 32.
There were certainly two 27s in series 65 ....
The biggest deficit overturned in the last three rounds is 21, I recall, but the greatest comeback remains 40 (hope I'm right)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

He's just from Yorkshire, Jordan.

Very good comeback from C1, I thought it was all over after OLEANDERS.

Hope I wasn't the only one to miss bloody MODERATOS/ASTRODOME...
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Trevor led 45-6 at one stage, so that must be the 2nd biggest comeback in the show's history.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Paul Erdunast wrote:I think I got my first ever 13-max that game - unless there was a 7 in the TAIPAN round.
TZARINA?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy Warhol certainly looked as if he was going to win, but he seemed to lose it a bit in the later rounds.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James S Roper wrote:
Paul Erdunast wrote:I think I got my first ever 13-max that game - unless there was a 7 in the TAIPAN round.
TZARINA?
Hmmm I woulda gone for an 8 in that round, but it's probably spelt with an S!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:((50+6)*9)-9
I actually thought of Jeff when neither contestant got this as it's the kind of game he would have put his hand up for I think. Then Colin does it! He also did exactly what Jeff used to do too, ie look down at the desk when the cam's on him. Anyway, my way was ((6 - 1) x (100 - (9/9)). :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Philip Wilson wrote:
James S Roper wrote:
TZARINA?
Hmmm I woulda gone for an 8 in that round, but it's probably spelt with an S!
There is an 8, PARTIZAN, which I must admit, I thought would've been with an S too, but must be an alternative spelling............

That's also the first 0-second conundrum in a regular edition of Countdown, as in exactly 0 seconds, not 0.25, 0.5, etc.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Robinson wrote: There is an 8, PARTIZAN, which I must admit, I thought would've been with an S too, but must be an alternative spelling............
:D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:That's also the first 0-second conundrum in a regular edition of Countdown, as in exactly 0 seconds, not 0.25, 0.5, etc.
How are you defining that though? How are these things objectively measured? I've seen others that were probably just as quick.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Phyl Styles wrote:
I think 32.
There were certainly two 27s in series 65 ....
The biggest deficit overturned in the last three rounds is 21, I recall, but the greatest comeback remains 40 (hope I'm right)
The biggest comeback is 40, yes. The biggest deficit overturned in the last three rounds was 21 until recently, when Rory Coleman won from 26 behind in the last three rounds.

I also initially thought the widest margin between them today was 32, but Fred's right - after round 5, Trevor led 45-6.

Here's everyone who has been behind by 25 or more and won, up to the end of series 69...

Code: Select all

EP SERIES  WINNER                    LOSER             DEFICIT  AFTER ROUND
3645   51    Richard Pay        79-77  Claire Whitaker        40    9
444     9    David Trace        80-74  Mick Keeble            35    6
5738   69    Rory Coleman       81-79  Graham Harrison        33   11
4865   61    Paul Varlaam       72-71  Yvonne Battelle        30    7
3863   53    Nicky Lyons        85-79  Sonia Cordas           28    9
4103   54    Tony Warren        71-64  Michael Gordon         28    7
4141   55    Phil Watson        63-52  Paul Collings          28    7
3808   52    Steven Moir        79-78  Rita Willmott          27   11
5385   65    Phyllis Styles     76-75  Kirsten Thompson       27    8
4021   54    Michael Bowden     73-64  Christine Grant        27    7
5326   65    Carl Williams      72-63  Jeff Probst            27    6
4962   62    Oliver Garner      81-75  Mark Goodliffe         26    9
3713   51    Richard Hunter     75-52  Jeff Clayton           26    6
4968   62    Howard Lovelady    81-76  James Rawson           26    4
3325   48    Dez Hussey        101-91  Robert Lee             25   11
4319   56    Sarah Milsom      77*-67  Brian Kent             25   11
5337   65    Andy Royce         62-56  Jacqui Rowley          25    9
5514   66    Nick Hall          86-80  Suzi Purcell           25    9
M10          Matthew Francis    86-78  Nigel Gardner          25    7
1440   26    Gary Thomson       41-35  Andrew Perry           25    5
1441   26    Jane Atkins        37-31  Gary Thomson           25    5
2504   40    Dorian Jeffrey     57-55  Tessa Phelan           25    2
3076   45    Geraldine Hylands  55-46  Mac McDonald           25    2
So Ann winning today after being 39 behind is easily the biggest comeback in Nick Hewer's time, and you have to go back to Richard Whiteley's era to find the only one that was bigger.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:That's also the first 0-second conundrum in a regular edition of Countdown, as in exactly 0 seconds, not 0.25, 0.5, etc.
How are you defining that though? How are these things objectively measured? I've seen others that were probably just as quick.
It was about a second, maybe less. But looking at it again, the odd thing was that the music started and the hand didn't move.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'm defining it by the position of the hand on the clock, and since it didn't move at all, I've classed it as 0 seconds on the Wiki.
Graeme Cole wrote:It was about a second, maybe less. But looking at it again, the odd thing was that the music started and the hand didn't move.
Yeah, indeedy do, but I've always measured it by position of hand, rather than music, just to keep it at the same method, even though different hosts have had different styles of setting off the buzzer, etc.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Philip Wilson wrote:
Jonathan Wynn wrote:((50+6)*9)-9
I actually thought of Jeff when neither contestant got this as it's the kind of game he would have put his hand up for I think. Then Colin does it! He also did exactly what Jeff used to do too, ie look down at the desk when the cam's on him. Anyway, my way was ((6 - 1) x (100 - (9/9)). :D
Colin Murray is a great DC guest-loves the game. Refuses to wear an earpiece coz he wants to play along (realise everyone here knew that already probs but still)
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Andy Platt wrote:He's just from Yorkshire, Jordan.

Very good comeback from C1, I thought it was all over after OLEANDERS.

Hope I wasn't the only one to miss bloody MODERATOS/ASTRODOME...
Looks like it AP. Ul.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

There have certainly been faster conundrum solutions than that before, it's just that as Graeme says, there was a strange delay in the hand moving. If there's going to be a note on the wiki about this, it should probably make that clearer.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Andy Platt wrote: Hope I wasn't the only one to miss bloody MODERATOS/ASTRODOME...
Almost as bad as me going for HUMIFY and missing HUMIDIFY. :(

Great comeback by Ann, although the challenger really fell apart at the end! Since Nick became host, I've noticed that the clock normally starts ticking before the conundrum board's fully turned over but under Jeff, it usually only started when it was fully revealed. Today was an exception. Probably about 0.75 in reality but still impressive speed.

Robbo - I was expecting a response with supersize text and a ridiculous number of smileys, are you well? :shock: :roll: 8-) ;)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I don't agree with classing it at 0 seconds for what it's worth
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Graeme Cole wrote:Ann winning today after being 39 behind is easily the biggest comeback in Nick Hewer's time, and you have to go back to Richard Whiteley's era to find the only one that was bigger.
Arguably Ann's was even more remarkable as her comeback didn't include a nine letter word, and she actually lost another round on the way.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Jonathan Wynn wrote:
Colin Murray is a great DC guest-loves the game. Refuses to wear an earpiece coz he wants to play along (realise everyone here knew that already probs but still)
Yep, John Parrott and Graham Cole [ :) ] were really good too but both seem to have disappeared recently.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On the conundrum thing, are there 120 distinct positions for the light to be in (4 a second)?
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

Jack Worsley wrote:
Andy Platt wrote: Hope I wasn't the only one to miss bloody MODERATOS/ASTRODOME...
Almost as bad as me going for HUMIFY and missing HUMIDIFY. :(

Great comeback by Ann, although the challenger really fell apart at the end! Since Nick became host, I've noticed that the clock normally starts ticking before the conundrum board's fully turned over but under Jeff, it usually only started when it was fully revealed. Today was an exception. Probably about 0.75 in reality but still impressive speed.

Robbo - I was expecting a response with supersize text and a ridiculous number of smileys, are you well? :shock: :roll: 8-) ;)
I think it's all very manual, so the guy behind the conundrum board has to synchronise his turning with Nick's pressing of the button/the guy in the gallery pressing the button
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I wonder what Nick's button actually does. We know the conundrum board is turned separately from everything else, but it would seem from this episode that the music is activated separately from the clock. Maybe Nick does one and the gallery does the other? Seems an odd way to do it.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Innis Carson wrote:I wonder what Nick's button actually does. We know the conundrum board is turned separately from everything else, but it would seem from this episode that the music is activated separately from the clock. Maybe Nick does one and the gallery does the other? Seems an odd way to do it.
I've always assumed that Nick's button starts the clock and the music at the same time. When a contestant buzzes, that always stops the music and the clock simultaneously, so I can't imagine that it would be any different for starting the clock.

Maybe on this occasion the clock didn't start for whatever reason.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Whatever it is, I doubt it's down to presenters' styles.
James Robinson wrote:even though different hosts have had different styles of setting off the buzzer, etc.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:I wonder what Nick's button actually does. We know the conundrum board is turned separately from everything else, but it would seem from this episode that the music is activated separately from the clock. Maybe Nick does one and the gallery does the other? Seems an odd way to do it.
I've always assumed that Nick's button starts the clock and the music at the same time. When a contestant buzzes, that always stops the music and the clock simultaneously, so I can't imagine that it would be any different for starting the clock.

I think it's because the clock is new. When my games were recorded, the clock was wreaking havoc all day. It kept on not starting and there had to be a lot of checks, sometimes during the games themselves. In my first game against Mark, the clock and the music didn't start despite Nick's numerous attempts at pressing the button, so the round had to be redone with different letters and the letters that intended for the round were disposed of. Based on this, I have a strong feeling that both the clock and the music start (well, supposed to) when Nick presses the button.

With the old clock, there probably wouldn't be any problems. It didn't seem to have a lot of problems before. Well, it didn't from the games I watched and the games in my first run anyway.
Sfumato soup
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Bradley Cates wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

I think it's because the clock is new. When my games were recorded, the clock was wreaking havoc all day. It kept on not starting and there had to be a lot of checks, sometimes during the games themselves. In my first game against Mark, the clock and the music didn't start despite Nick's numerous attempts at pressing the button, so the round had to be redone with different letters and the letters that intended for the round were disposed of. Based on this, I have a strong feeling that both the clock and the music start (well, supposed to) when Nick presses the button.

With the old clock, there probably wouldn't be any problems. It didn't seem to have a lot of problems before. Well, it didn't from the games I watched and the games in my first run anyway.
In the last few months of its life, the old clock had lots of problems where it didn't start properly. That's why they had a new one made. And that's had it's share of teething troubles, like any new piece of equipment does.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've never had any problems with a new clock.